5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, realistic and important!
Most of Nicholas Spark's books are pure love stories, often sad ones, but all deeply touching.

"The Last Song" reaches further. Comprising love of life, of music, of nature - and most of all, love within a family, between parents and children in particular, in all its beauty and complexity.

The book starts with a rather long introduction into the...
Published on 6 Oct. 2009 by Sissel M. Østdahl

2.0 out of 5 stars or piano piece
If you want to know, in excruciating detail, the way an adolescent girl's mind works, and enjoy reading extraordinarily long-winded accounts, then this is for you. I personally thought it must have been written by a female, but not many women are called "Nicholas".
Published 11 months ago by byer

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, realistic and important!, 6 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Last Song (Hardcover)

The book starts with a rather long introduction into the main characters' personalities and lives. For a long time it all seems to stand a bit still. But fear not. This is a necessary part of the rich and touching story which is soon to unfold.

17 year old Ronnie and her 10 year old brother Jonah are to spend the summer with their father in North Carolina. Their parents are divorced and children have not seen their pianist/composer father for three years. Jonah is looking forward to seeing his dad as only a 10 year old boy who loves his father deeply can. Ronnie hates her father for having left the family, and wants to stay with her mother in New York. Something she makes no secret of when she arrives at her father's small beach house.

And so the scene is set for a summer nobody will forget. A summer which will affect Ronnie and Jonah, their parents Kim and Steve - plus friends to be made during the summer - forever.

We have all loved and lost. We have all experienced joy and sorrow. Points in our lives which have forced us to stop and where the road further on has changed direction. Not without pain, but the pain is the necessary seed for the growth of future happiness. For further blooms to grow along our path in life.

The sweetness and innocence of childhood, teenage rebellion, the struggle to keep a marriage alive. There are a myriad of feelings in Spark's perhaps most realistic and important work ever. And impossible to remain unaffected.

Buy it and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that's not just for reading, it makes you think too!, 1 Nov. 2009
A. M. Edgar (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Song (Hardcover)
A fantastic book by Nicholas Spark. It makes you examine your own relationships, and wonder whether you are working hard enough at making them the best they can be.

The father and daughter relationship is beautiful, the character Steve, played out so lovingly, waiting for the right moment to engage with his daughter....giving her time and space to work things out with herself first.

This book made me laugh out loud and cry too, I will read it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning - a must read!!!, 7 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Last Song (Hardcover)
I accidently stumbled upon Nicholas Sparks after I watched the film of 'the Notebook'. It is one of the best films I have ever seen in my life and would recommend it to everyone. Then I read the book version of it and couldn't put it down, although I knew what was generally going to happen the book version was better and had more detail.

I have seen many film versions of Sparks' books, for example, 'Nights in Rodanthe' and 'A Walk to Remember'. I have to admit that everthing I have watched I have sobbed my heart out at each one.

In Late December I went to see Miley Cyrus in concert. She showed a clip of her new movie which is out in April called 'The Last Song'. At the end of the clip it said from the authour of 'the Notebook'. I knew straight away I had to order the book and read it before I went to watch the film. So eventually when it came I began reading it straight away. In total it took me about two days to read it! I couldn't sleep, I had to finish it and find out what was going to happen. I had goose bumps throughout the whole book, and it is just incredible. Everyone in my family now wants to read it!

A truly amazing story that everyone should read before they die. And if they don't its there loss. I'll be the first person buying a ticket for when the movie comes out. Breath taking!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 15 Feb. 2010
ButterBeer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Song (Hardcover)
Ive never read any of Nicholas Sparks books before but after Reading The Last Song ill definitely be reading more! I first heard about The Last Song when i discovered it was being made into a film starring Miley Cyrus, who im a big fan of. It sounded like something i would like, so i decided to read the book and it is now one of my favourite books. The story deals with relationships and love in all its different forms and it makes you think about the relationships you have too. It is very well written and engageing throughout, i found it deeply moveing and i found myself reaching for the tissues when i'd finished it. It also made me laugh too. Everytime i read it, it was pure escapism and for the time i was reading i felt like i was there in North Carolina by the sea. This is a brilliant book that will stay with me forever and its a book you should definitely read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, 1 Nov. 2009
Ms. S. Bales (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Song (Hardcover)
I came across Nicholas Sparks by accident, i read a few reviews and decided to buy this book, i wasn't sure if i was going to like it, but as the pages turned i could not put it down!

the story starts off slow but it soon pulls you into the world of Ronnie and you almost feel like you are walking along the beach and can see the little house with the porch where she slept to make sure the turtles were safe. a picture perfect ending to a rollercoaster story, i really would reccommend this book to anybody, and i have ordered a few more of Nicholas sparks books too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 5 April 2010
This review is from: The Last Song (Paperback)
This is one of the most beautiful and realistic books i have ever read.I had never read anything by Sparks before, but picked this up as i wanted to read it before the film came out and i am so glad i did. The story of two kids who go to spend the summer with their father who they haven't seen for 3 years. This is the story of love between brothers and sisters, father and daughter, and first love. It had me laughing in some places, but in tears towards the end. This book was so moving, and so realistic, their is someone in there that everyone can relate to. A definite must read no matter what age you are,

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicholas Sparks reaches out to younger audience, 17 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Last Song (Paperback)
I love Nicholas Sparks, but while I enjoyed the book I felt it was really written for teenagers. I've passed onto my daughter and hope she learns some of the valuable lessons in it for younger people.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm crying!!!!, 11 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Last Song (Paperback)
The last song is about family, first loves, second chances and moments in life that lead you back home.

The first few pages were really slow but hilarious at the same time. I highly suggest that you give it a go at least 100 pages ( then it gets better and better). I watched the movie before i read the book, and i really rarely do that, i just couldn't help myself. If not for the movie i think i would never even know that this book existed. Before i bought this book i didn't know a single thing about it, only that it's nearly the same as the movie. I just found it on Amazon and simply bought it, without a second thought. This is my first book by this author, and i think it won't be the last.

I found the characters really realistic and well developed. My favorite characters were: Ronnie ( main character), Will ( Ronnie's boyfriend) and Ronnie's father.
At the beginning our main character is a bad girl that is closed in herself, but by the end she changes into a respectful, kind, understanding and forgiving girl. To be honest, all the characters changed into strong people. And i love when that happens in a book.

I found this book really interesting and sweet. There were some moments that just made you quickly turn the pages . The thing that i loved the most about it, was Ronnie's relationship with Will. They were such a cool and a sweet couple that i loved to read about. They weren't a perfect couple, they were a realistic couple. They had secrets and problems, like every normal and real relationship.

However, there were some things that i really hated as well.

I hated when Will and Ronnie just simply said ' i love you' to each other. They just said it from nowhere, to suddenly and like they're speaking to a cute pet. No emotion.
Some chapters were really boring and unnecessary, and i found myself saying ' omg, this is so boring , just get to the point already'.
There were some romantic scenes between Will and Ronnie, but i just felt like they weren't enough. In the movie there is so much more.

I have to say that the ending was a surprise. I didn't see it coming. I was crying! My heart was literally melting.

Even thought i really like The last song, i think i like the movie better.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, 15 May 2012
This review is from: The Last Song (Paperback)
This was the first Nicholas Sparks book I've read & I didn't really know what to expect but I loved it!! It was such an amazing book and was beautifully written. The book was predictable in some ways but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Although it was slightly predictable, there were still some twists and turns that were rather unexpected & made the book that much better! I loved the characters, especially Steve, Will & Jonah. Steve is the perfect dad & just generally a really good man & someone I'd definitely feel blessed to know. Jonah was so adorable and funny & Will was just everything you would want in a boyfriend. There are some references to religion, specifically Christianity.

The only negative thing I'd have to say about this book & this only applies if you dislike Miley Cyrus like I do is that because she is on the cover of my book I keep picturing her as Ronnie. Although I did like Ronnie's character, I don't think I liked her as much as I would have if Miley Cyrus was not on the cover of my book. There were times that I really hated Ronnie but then she really grows on you & you watch her develop as a character.

I would recommend this book to anyone! Just be sure to have a box of tissues with you towards the last few chapters as this book had me crying buckets!! I am in the middle of exam period & I just could not put this book down! I really wanted to know what was going to happen next!
I can say with great confidence that this is hands down my favourite book!

Although I haven't watched the film yet as I wanted to finish the book first, I am looking forward to watching the movie. I think Greg Kinnear is a perfect fit to play Steve's character & Josh Hutcherson is the perfect actor to play Will's character.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Song- AMAZING!!, 1 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Last Song (Paperback)
As I was packing for my holiday, my mum handed me this book and said that i might enjoy reading it on holiday so it was packed in to my suitcase! It has turned out to be one of my favourite books!! It is a book full of emotion and i never wanted to put the book down! It was a nice easy read and took me three days to read.

At the start, Ronnie is a troubled teenager who is having problems with her parents as her friends are not the people her mum wantedher to be around. Her mum and dad split up when she was young and during her teens,she refused to even speak to her dad who had started a musical career travelling around the States. He had taught Ronnie how to play the piano and they had spent most of her youth together,playing and composing. When her dad left, she refused to ever play the piano again.

When he was seventeen, her mum sent ronnie and her brother away to spent the summer with her dad. For the first few days,she stayed away from the house, hanging around with some dodgy new mates. She argued constantly with her father who just stayed calm and did as she commanded.

As the story goes on, relationships change and Ronnie changes completly as a character. It is soo emotional and there is a very important moral to the story! The last chapters bring tears to your eyes as you read but the story is magical. After reading the book, i couldn't stop thinking about what had gone on and i lay for about an hour, just thinking. The book was moving and was beautifully written. I would definately recommend it!!

The Last Song
The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks (Paperback - 1 April 2010)