5.0 out of 5 stars Get the tissues ready
Dawson and Amanda shared first love. A love that was forbidden, not only by her parents, but by their lifestyle. Years later they are brought back together by the death of the only man who believed in them, Tuck.

Published on 20 Oct 2011 by DizzyC

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment
This book is a disappointment. I'm really sorry to have spent my time and money on it. I would definitely not recommend it. It's not that the book is boring and not easy to read. On the contrary the 2/3s of it are pleasant and flowing well enough that you can read it in one go.

Published 16 months ago by Mari

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the tissues ready, 20 Oct 2011
DizzyC "carol36" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best of Me (Paperback)

As they reunite to say farewell to Tuck, a will they won't they story unfolds. Even after all these years, life is not straight forward. Dawson is looking over his shoulder knowing he is being hunted by his family and Amanda has the family back home to think of.
Can they rekindle their first love?

My first time with this author and I had high expectations.

I was rather intrigued to find out what the attraction was for fans of Nicholas Sparks' novels. I now know. Nicholas Sparks, male author of 16 romance novels knows what a woman wants....and delivers it beautifully in a love story.

The author writes an easy to read storyline but with passion that kept my attention until the end. I wasn't sure that this was going to be the tear-jerker I was expecting for the first half of the novel, but then all of a sudden it hit me and didn't stop until the very last page. It was worth the build up.

Get the tissues ready folks.

4.5 out of 5 for me!

Thank you, Sphere for sending me a review copy

4.0 out of 5 stars The best of Nicholas Sparks!, 17 Oct 2011
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Me (Paperback)
The Best of Me is a very different read to Safe Haven; something tells me that's true of all of Nicholas's novels. Despite all having a central theme of love, all of his book plots seem to be wildly different. It's impressive, actually, because most authors stick to a general formula for their books, but Nicholas doesn't and his plots range far and wide. The synopsis for The Best of Me doesn't give much away, as you can see above but it does rather sum the book up nicely as both Dawson and Amanda find themselves back in Oriental, their home town, after Tuck, a man they both knew well dies. Dawson and Amanda had been teenage sweethearts, torn apart because their lives were so far apart from each other and when they see each other again, it begs the question of just how deep their love really ran for each other way back when...

The Best of Me is only 292 pages long, which surprised me. That's not particularly long, and I was surprised to see how small it was when I got it. However, there's a lot packed into the novel and it's a really good read. I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Safe Haven, but it was a solid 4 star read for me. I'm a total sucker for love that's star-crossed, for love that attracts opposition, so I was sucked in by Dawson and Amanda's love and by the way they didn't let their contrasting backgrounds come between them during that summer they spent together. I liked how the intervening years didn't change their feelings for each other, too, once they both came back to Oriental. I thought the entire novel was just so magical as Dawson and Amanda are reunited and they reconnect over the death of their friend.

I thought the interconnecting stories were also interesting - Dawson's cousins, Abee and Ted who were unhappy their cousin was back at Oriental, wanting to get back at him; Amanda's family, including her alcoholic husband Frank; the Bonner family, who are connected to Dawson; and the life story of the dead man, Tuck and his wife Clara. I found the way all the stories connected and were told were excellent and it really heightened my reading of the novel. I knew what was happening/going to happen with certain characters and it was interesting to watch it all play out while the characters were waiting to do what they were going to do. It was a very interesting novel, and I was particularly fascinated by Tuck's story. I loved how he had a hand in the novel despite the fact he died before we got to really know him.

The ending was a massive shock for me. As the book neared its end, I pretty much knew I wasn't going to get an ending that was going to please me. Despite the fact I knew how it was going to end pretty much as soon as I got to about 20 pages out, I truly wanted to stop reading so I didn't have to read it. It was a very bittersweet read and Nicholas Sparks knows how to keep you turning the pages - even when you don't really want to. The Best of Me was a very readable read, and one I liked reading. I liked the whole love on from the opposite side of the tracks, the tragedy of it all, and I couldn't help wondering just how different Dawson and Amanda's lives would have been had they stayed together as teenagers. (It certainly would have been a very different book...) I'd definitely recommend the book, I enjoyed reading it and I can definitely see this one becoming a movie, too. I can't wait to go back and read Sparks' backlog of books he's definitely an author I enjoy reading and The Best of Me was hugely enjoyable.

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 1 April 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Me (Paperback)

However as you reach the final part of the book you start to not believe in your eyes. First there is a slight inconsistency with the characters. The main heroine in the beginning appears to be strong and opinionated and defies everyone for the love of her life and then becomes this very weak person who constantly frustrates you with her choices and the things she says (or doesn't say). After a point it makes you wonder why the hero is in love with her at all. The mother who throughout the 2/3s of the book appears to be this shallow person who cares about appearances only, turns into a mother who gives the soundest advice of the whole book.

However, those are just details and if that was the only problem I'd be more or less ok. The worse thing is that the story itself is disappointing. Not because there's drama in it, life is not full of roses and if the book was, I wouldn't like it much either. It's because there's too much fake drama just for the sake of it. I mean the author is using one in a million coincidences and metaphysical situations just to create plot and to not allow the characters to finally make their choices.

The end was not really a surprise, you could see it coming after a while however until the final pages I was waiting for an unpredicted turning point. I could not really believe that he was going where I thought he was.

Overall a huge disappointment not worth my time at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Best of Me (Paperback)
Nicholas Sparks is probably my favourite author. I have read all his books and generally struggle to put them down. This last book was so disappointing. The story was way to out there and I found it very hard to connect with the characters which I usually do very freely. I don't wish to spoil anything but this will not be proudly sitting on my wall of love bookshelf at home.

2.0 out of 5 stars predictable, 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Best Of Me (Kindle Edition)
I've read a lot of Nicholas Sparks books and I've enjoyed them but this was all too coincidental and predictable. Sadly my least favourite of his books so far. Disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Me, 11 April 2012
This review is from: The Best of Me (Paperback)
Got this book as a Christmas present had it finished within days. Heartwarming story of first love and how unforgetable it is regardless of age and time passed without seeing each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this story, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Best of Me (Paperback)
November has been a month of reading for me. So, I had enough time in my hands today to spend on this story. But I started it late at night with the intention of reading three or four chapters before falling asleep. But I was wrong. Nicholas Sparks sucked me in from that first chapter. The story is deep, gripping and wide in scope, drawing from mind-blowing dimensions. The Best of Me, and Disciples of Fortune are my favorite reads of this month. The unique style of the writing is unusual, the setting is great and the unique style of writing is an added attraction too. It makes the blood run hot and cold in turns.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, enjoyable, but not gripping, 17 July 2014
J. A. Brown "Avid Reader" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Me (Kindle Edition)
You always know what you're going to get with Nicholas Sparks, and he doesn't disappoint. He takes you right into the heart of a story and makes you feel you know everyone in it. And he writes well and easily. It's just that, with this book, I didn't especially love the characters. Purely personal--others will feel differently, I'm sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Me (Kindle Edition)
Good story line not what expected at end, dragged on a little but another great from Nicholas Sparks. Recommended x

5.0 out of 5 stars usual nick sparks style, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Me (Kindle Edition)
a good twist at the end but fairly predictable made me cry twice .heart wrenching. gripping complex and intriguing story.great

The Best Of Me
The Best Of Me by Nicholas Sparks (Paperback - 5 July 2012)
7.11