Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 August 2001
I got really attached to this book and more so its characters when I first read it. I found myself crying at the end because I'd finished the book. Summer Sisters describes growing up in such a realistic way, she captures the emotions and the events to perfection. The contrasts between sensible Vix and headstrong Caitlin are worked so well that even though they are unlikely friends on paper, you feel like they really complement eachother. One of the other reviewers mentioned readers with a problem with homosexuality might not like this book, well I disagree. Summer Sisters deals with sexuality, not homo-sexuality, it shows how the two girls come to terms with their new found sexuality as they venture into womenhood, and the story follows this process sensitively. Judy Blume is very honest about the experiences that teenagers go through, and the difficulties they encounter. Sometimes you read a chapter that describes an event and it's almost painfully honest, you remember things about your childhood that your mind had put to one side. At the end of the day, it is a story about two strong women, very different, but bonded by many summers of secrets and experiences together while they were growing up. They are both role models for young girls, showing how ambition and dreams can come in different forms for different people. It's about following your head as well as your heart. I almost wish Judy would give us a sequel, but I'd rather this story stayed forever perfect in my memory.
on 4 April 2006
I am 20, I read all of Judy's Novels' when I was a child and was delighted when I discovered That Judy had written adult novels. Well, much like the other reviews that I have read on this page so far, this novel was fantastic. Once again I felt like I was invited to read someone's personal diary, then became emtionally involved with it.It's honest and superb story telling was so refreshing.I found myself trying to find a moment throughtout a busy day to escape back into this novel.I can honestly say that this novel could possibly get anyone out of a reading rut, this is how a book should be.I usually have poor concentration but this novel managed to take me on an emotional rollercoaster.It was set into small, easy chapters and was very readable. I have attempted to, but cannot possiblly put into words just how fantastic and moving this novel is. I would recommend this novel to anyone aged 18+.
on 30 May 2003
This book was amazing and it made me want to be able to live in that world which seemed so far away and different to the way i live in this so called 'real world'. I had never read a Judy Blume book before and am now totally hooked and addicted that i've been back to amazon and bought more!!! ENJOY!!!!!!!!
on 25 August 2011
You know when you go on holiday and take a book with you to read on the sunlounger? And how the time spent reading the book can either enhance your holiday or be a part of it you'd rather forget? Well for me, reading Summer Sisters was as much a lovely part of Italy as the lakes, the food and the glorious sunshine. Each day I looked forward to relaxing by the pool with this beautiful book almost as much as I did to exploring the stunning towns and countryside around me. I won't go into details of the absorbing story, the delightful characters or the evocative setting that beckons, because it has already been done, but suffice to say this is a book that will remain among my fondest memories for a long time to come.
on 14 August 2001
thats all I can say. An amazing, touching, dramatic, moving and un-put-downable book of two VERY close friends. It's graphic without going too far. I loved this book and I am proud to have it on my book shelf!
on 25 March 2011
I have read Judy Blume since I was about 10 years old- i am now 32 and just rediscovered her book for adults.
Summer Sisters was without doubt the best book I've read for a long time - she still can connect to girls of all ages and the book just drew me in so much that i really couldn't put it down- I know its a cliche but its true! Total empathy and frustration with both main chararaters and I cried at more than one point - i just hope she keeps on writing!
on 25 February 2000
A rather thin story line and the characters superficially drawn. Lots of padding, with several viewpoints not necessary for the story. However much I dislike a book however I would never give awasy the ending for other readers so I am warning others not to read the story outline provided by Jiulia Casini. We readers should really limit ourselves to opinions and not say what happens in the book!
on 14 March 2006
This book is probably the best I have ever read by Judy Blume. She manages to portray the relationship between two best friends perfectly, while still making it an incredibly easy read, with simple language and short chapters.
It centres around Vix, who as a girl in the 1970s is befriended by beautiful and popular Caitlin. They spend a summer together in Martha's Vineyard with Caitlin's family, and become 'summer sisters'. Every year they return, and a good deal of the book follows their summers together and the progression and the complexities of their friendship. However, as the novel progresses, their independence from one another becomes more apparent, and Blume begins to focus more on their ascent into adulthood.
I would recommend this book to anyone over the age of fifteen- particularly females looking for a good holiday read. You'll be hooked right to the end.
on 5 November 2000
Wow. Well i have always been a dedicated judy blume reader, and own every one of her books, when i read on amazon about this new book i wouldnt wait for it to b delivered to my house. I bought it too read on my holiday in tenerife this October. The truth is, i couldnt put this book down. It reminded me of my early experiences, and makes me look forward to growing up, wondering who i will be like..sensible Vix or the flamboyant Caitlin. After Deenie, this is her BEST book. Even my sister loved it and she has the opposite reading tastes to me. SOmething for every1!!!! I should think anyone could relate to the main characters in this book. The characters are so easy to empathise with and you go along an emotional rollercoater with, at times you find yourself laughing and sometimes even crying. I recommend this to ANY mature reader.
on 20 July 1999
After being a huge Judy Blume fan in my youth..I was really excited to hear about this book..but I must admit I was disappointed.
At first I found it quite superficial, childish teenage stuff. It certainly took me back to the times I'd read Blume's other books. But it got better as it went along, the story was compelling..about two girls whose lives were intertwined each summer. The ending which I won't give away shocked me..I was also shocked by the effect it had on me..I actually cried!
I did enjoy it, but not as much as I'd hoped- not really a true "adult" book I felt.