5.0 out of 5 stars nutrition blended with pop science goodness
I may be a bit biased, as I am very partial for a glass of Côtes du Rhone and a bit of dark (>70%) chocolate, so any book that tells me these two are good for me already has one bonus point. On the other hand, I'm not much of a foodie and wouldn't normally dream of buying a book that has "diet" in the title, so I guess that cancels out.

My lifestyle choices and...
Published on 20 Dec 2011 by Michael Gross

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but some odd omissions.
Published 12 months ago by AmadouMann

5.0 out of 5 stars nutrition blended with pop science goodness, 20 Dec 2011
Michael Gross - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wine Diet (Paperback)

My lifestyle choices and agreement with the author's opinion apart, this book contains an interesting blend of popular science writing and nutrition advice including recipes, all informed by the author's own research into the effects that one group of chemicals found in red wine and fruit has on the lining of our blood vessels and hence on the health of our heart and circulation. It is also backed up by a very comprehensive list of references.

The short message is that oligomeric procyanidins (and not the more widely known resveratrol) are the likely cause of the "French paradox," namely the unusually long life expectancy of people in Southern France and other places where a Mediterranean lifestyle is cultivated (Sardinia is the place to be, apparently, if you want to live to 100!). These polyphenols are present in certain red wines (especially in those produced following more traditional procedures), as well as in fruit and berries including cranberries, pomegranate, and raspberries. As these molecules have an adstringent effect as well, modern food processing methods tend to do what they can to remove or destroy them.

The author is very eloquent at explaining what - according to recent research from his lab and others - is good for us, and manages to debunk some "voodoo science" along the way, including the excessive cult of antioxidants. Very interesting read - obviously even more satisfactory if you happen to like the kind of food he recommends.

5.0 out of 5 stars The wine diet, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Wine Diet (Paperback)
'The Wine Diet', book by Prof Roger Corder explains why wine is beneficial to the health. He goes into detail which wines in particular are good and why, with fascinating facts about certain wine regions. Very well worth while book, appealing to the wine enthusiast

5.0 out of 5 stars This man is uncorking the truth, don't let the Puritans get you!, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Wine Diet (Paperback)
So much has been said and written about the joys and benefits of wine drinking and conversely about the dreaded consequences of imbibing that this book is a breath of fresh air and serves to wipe away any guilt and apprehension that the doom mongers may be spreading In the end it is surely each to his own , one man's meat etc.,

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but some odd omissions., 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Red Wine Diet (Paperback)
A well referenced work, but apart from a two-week diet plan and a few recipes not much use to a dieter. The index is next to useless: for example we like bread and bake our own. The word 'bread' does not appear in the index. Glancing down the suggested menu for a fortnight a particular type of loaf is mentioned once - one slice on one day! Rather a waste of the rest - feed it to the ducks, perhaps? A store-cupboard list or a shopping list would have been helpful too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Like I needed another excuse to drink red wine, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Wine Diet (Paperback)
So I like tannic wines and it turns out they're likely to be good for me!

Lots of good info in this book, although I imagine the kind of person who buys this is probably eating properly anyway.

One slight dissonance though - the wines reviewed are certainly not those drunk by the long-lived folk of Crete, Sardinia and Southwest France. They're getting the benefit from their local vintage rather than from fairly expensive bottled estate wines.

The Wine Diet
The Wine Diet by Professor Roger Corder PhD MRPharmS (Paperback - 8 Jan 2009)