Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 July 2004
This is book you just won't be able to put down, if you're planning on taking on holiday you'd better pack a few more because you'll finish it on the plane!! You'll go through every emotion you have, and a few more besides. As a late comer to Nicholas Sparks books this is probably the one I've enjoyed the most and just wish the poor guy could write faster!
on 1 June 2004
I couldn't put it down. I guessed what Wilson's plan was part way through, but to read such a book from the male perspective was so very different and so very touching. I had tears in my eyes at least twice. I cannot recommend this enough.
on 19 May 2005
I found this book a bit slow at first, but from about chapter 3 onwards could not put this book down, it was very unpredictable. I highly reccomend this book to everyone. A very emotional and romantic story about what true love is all about!!!
on 2 February 2009
I read 'The Notebook' by Nicholas Sparks and absolutely loved it, so naturally I couldn't wait to get hold of the sequel. I was aware before reading the book that it had a slow start, but I've read to Chapter 8 and have decided to give up. I think the main problem is the content; the story revolves around a relationship/marriage and an up-coming wedding and that is all that we've read about in 7 whole chapters. I can think of one significant moment of real 'action'. I think that's fine if you can relate to the content, but I can't so I think it was a mistake for me to attempt this book, despite me enjoying 'The Notebook' so much.

The story develops incredibly slowly, quite often I came across patches which were so dull I thought Sparks' may as well have left them out and was surprised they made it into the book at all.

I think this book is aimed at those who have the experience of marriage/being a parent and who enjoy gentle, descriptive stories and aren't fussed about fast-paced, action packed novels. The main character is very well developed, you almost get to read his every thought and I do think characteristation is one of Sparks' strong points. Sparks' writing and use of language is also lovely, and flows beautifully.

I'm disappointed I didn't enjoy this book, but I can see why people do.
on 18 April 2006
I have read many of Nicolas Sparks' books, and as a rule, have enjoyed nearly all of them, but to me, the wedding is the very best so far. It is truely romantic, beautifully written, and the sort of book you want to read over and over. Buy it, read it, remember it, recommend it. That's my advice.
Wilson Lewis comes to the sad realization one day that after thirty years of marriage his wife, Jane, has fallen out of love with him. Jane's father, Noah, (this book is the sequel to THE NOTEBOOK) has always had respect for Wilson and Noah tells him stories of how he kept Allie from falling out of love with him.

Wilson is an estate lawyer and has spent very little time at home over the years. He realizes that Jane fell out of love with him when he forgot their twenty-ninth wedding anniversary.

Jane was a stay-at-home mom and raised their three kids -- Anna, Joseph, and Leslie.

Anna comes home one day to announce that she is getting married. Because of Noah's health and since her fiancé is heading to college, they want to get married the next Saturday. Anna claims that she wants a small wedding at the courthouse, but her mom, of course, wants a big wedding, even though they only have eight days to put it together.

Saturday is Wilson and Jane's anniversary and Wilson wanted to do something really special this year so he took the week before and the week after their anniversary off from work. He hasn't taken that much time off in eight years!

With all the work to do with the wedding, Wilson has been making Jane dinner more often and trying to help out as much as he can. What will Wilson do to make his wife fall back in love with him, so that she doesn't leave him?

Coming from Nicholas Sparks, this book had a very high bar set for it. And this romantic love story went far beyond that! THE WEDDING is yet another wonderful romance from this amazing author!

Reviewed by: Taylor Rector
on 31 July 2007
this is the sequel to the the notebook and is even more of a tearjerker. Thw story is about wilson - son in law to noah. i did kind of figure out the ending to the book but i still really enjoyed it. The journey of the characters in the book towards the final event in the book is much more interesting and the point of the whole book. noah features in this book and he is dealing with the loss of allie, he is an example of how love still goes on even after the person is gone.

another book that brings tears on every page. keep a big box of tissues handy!!!
on 10 April 2011
I haven't read Nicholas Sparks in a long while as I usually like to separate his books a little and The Wedding was the perfect way to reintroduce myself to Sparks' writing after such a long break. It stuck by his usual stunning writing style, that doesn't just make you feel like you're reading the characters story, but as though you're living it with them.
The Wedding is the sequel to the Notebook and it is impossible not to notice this when you read it. Sparks retells a lot of the plot of the Notebook though the eyes and ears of Wilson Lewis, Allie and Noah's son in law, to the point that you don't have to have read it to understand and enjoy the Wedding.
After forgetting the twenty-ninth anniversary to his wife, Jane, Wilson takes it upon himself to make amends for his mistake the following year in the most extraordinary way possible. At first it seems as though his initial plans are ruined - to a degree - when his daughter Anna asks for permission to get married on the day of Wilson and Jane's thirtieth wedding anniversary. In the eight day run-up leading to the big day, Wilson finally starts treating Jane as he should have all along, with the inspiration of his best friend and father in law to guide him.
Wilson is a very honest character with the largest amount of obvious flaws I have ever seen in a main character before. At the start of this book he isn't necessarily a bad husband to Jane, just not the kind that girls dream about someday marrying. He is very analytical and factual, he is forgetful, always at work and doesn't have the best relationship with his three children. This, of course, changes throughout the course of the novel which takes place over a period of just over a week, interspersed with a number of time lapses and memories throughout.
We see how Wilson and Jane first fell in love, how he was unable to express himself fully for so many years, how he realised that Jane didn't love him as much as he once did, that he let her down, and that ultimately, it was up to him to put the spark back into their relationship.
The admiration that Wilson shows for his in-laws is beautiful, especially as they are such well loved characters for most people who will read the Wedding. I have always loved Noah as a character and it is good to know that he hasn't changed since we first met him in the Notebook. The bond between Noah and Wilson is extremely close, despite the differences between the two men and they work well together as a pair, entrusting a lot in each other. Noah, in particular, brings a lot of humour into the book and really brightened some chapters.
Allie, by the time the Wedding is set, has died and Noah now lives alone at Creekside. Every day he feeds a swan which he believes is Allie. This is something that most of the characters could not understand and they assumed was a sign of Noah's deteriorating health. I can see where his family could get such ideas from, but the fact that they thought this really saddened me. Making Allie a swan was perfect as far as Sparks' writing is concerned; swans are beautiful, graceful, admired, they mate for life... A perfect match for Allie. Also, I can't remember if this was in the book as well as the movie of the Notebook, but in the film, Allie said that she wanted to be a bird if she ever could and Noah told her that "If you're a bird, I'm a bird". So, if this was in the book then it was a really good connection between the two, and if not, well it was still a good feature of the Wedding.
This book, like most of Sparks' is intended for adults, but I would still recommend it to a lot of young adult readers who enjoy love stories. It is a beautiful read with a surprising twist at the end that made the book as a whole seem much more believable. You don't have to have read the Notebook to enjoy this, but I strongly advise that you do if you haven't already.
on 4 April 2008
I am slowly working my way through the Nicholas Sparks books having just ordered every single publication he has done from Amazon!!! I read this one a while ago and again I can say I just love this man's writing it is so refreshing to have love stories from a man's perspective, not always too slushy but a lot of the time keeping it real. This story makes you look at your own relationships do we take eachother for granted?
on 4 July 2005
Having read the Notebook when it first came out I recommended it to everyone I knew but then didnt see any of his other works out here for ages.
I came across a load all at once (Walk To Remember, The Guardian, The Rescue) and have now found The Wedding - yay a follow up! Not exactly a sequel as Noah only plays a small (yet important) role in this story, it is nonetheless just as romantic and wonderful as the Notebook.
I feel all warm inside from reading this and Im not ashamed to say so. Well done Nick - another keeper!