5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible
I have never before read a book which truly made me cry even half as much as I did when I read this book. The writing is riviting and beautiful, the characters are perfectly believable and and the story is mesmerizing. I simply could not put the book down because it was just so gripping.

John Tyree a rebellious teen, graduated simply because his school could...
Published on 20 Aug 2008 by Ms. S. J. R. Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars I preferred Twilight
Published on 8 May 2012 by Katherine Mansfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 20 Aug 2008
This review is from: Dear John (Paperback)

John Tyree a rebellious teen, graduated simply because his school could bear him no longer. He has a distant relationship with his father, no decent friends ,and a non-existant love-life. With no potential, and no other options he joins the army. He fits in well- he is a good leader, makes friends, and soon gets a promotion. His first few leaves take him home to his father where he spends his time pointlessly ruining the precious little relationship there was between them. On his third leave he meets Savannah Lynn Curtis, the beautiful college student who falls for him immediately. The two fall in love and as John heads back to his posting in Germany Savannah swears she will wait for his return, as he swears to marry her. Many letters are sent and calls made and another leave is had and the love only grows stronger

But then 9/11 comes calling and John has to choose between Savannah and America, and eventually signs up for another 2 years service, as do all the oher proud soldiers around him. Savannah is forced to make a decision which will break not only John's heart but her own as well. When John finally returns to his home everything will have changed and he will find himself forced to make a decision just as tricky as Savannah's.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tear jerker, 17 Mar 2007
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dear John (Hardcover)
I Loved 'A Walk to Remember' and this latest book by Nicholas Sparks did not disappoint. A bit mushy, but great for a wet day sitting by the fire.

John Tyree leads a bit of a wayward childhood and kind of drifts into the army when no other career path opens up. He is on leave when he finds his first (and only) true love. Savannah is from a vastly different background, but this does not prove a problem as their love develops in spite of the long distances involved.

Unfortunately the events of 9/11 prompt John to re-enlist and things start to fall apart. Will John and Savannah manage to keep their love intact?

This is a great tear jerker. I couldn't read Nicholas Sparks books one after another, but as a bit of light relief they can't be beaten.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 12 Jan 2008
This review is from: Dear John (Paperback)
Wow. I had become quite bored with Sparks' latest novels, feeling they were cookie-cutter romance novels, but this book is a return to his old writing style. Similar to The Notebook, and A Walk to Remember, this book is a must read for any Sparks' fan, as well as anyone wanting an old fashioned love story...full of love, heartache, romance, fulfillment, tragedy, and sacrifice. Well done, well written, and just fabulous!! I would also highly recommend reading Tino Georgiou's bestselling novel--The Fates--if you haven't yet!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 3 Jan 2008
This review is from: Dear John (Paperback)
I have read many great books in the past, this however is truly inspiring and one of my absolute favourites. This book is very addictive and leaves you wanting more, I was impressed and deeply moved by the ending. A fabulous book that I really would recommend, a definite must buy!!! Well done Nicholas...!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!!!!, 27 Aug 2008
This review is from: Dear John (Paperback)
A beautifully written book that I read over two days. When I finished it at 2am, I felt emotionally drained and lay there with tears streaming down my face. This book seemed different in a way to the other ones, a bit less dramatic in my opinion but with more emotion that in places takes your breath away.
I love this book and i'm so glad it's being made into a film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 22 Oct 2009
This review is from: Dear John (Paperback)
I had never read a Nicholas Sparks book before and just happened to stumble across Dear John. OH MY GOD this is one of the best books i have read (although i am not normally one for a love story). The way that the author captures the feelings of the characters when people are separated in this way is truly amazing and gives a vey real portrail of how circumstances can take over.

This is a MUST read, although make sure you have tissues at the ready. It took me 24 hours to read this book a real page turner and i am yet to find another book to grab me in the same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down, 28 Dec 2007
G. Selby - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dear John (Paperback)
What a fantastic read started reading it on boxing day and finished it on the friday. It touched me in a way no other book has done written from a male perspective showing what a guy went through all for someone he loved and lost. I couldn't put it down. Wow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tear jerker, 20 Dec 2007
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dear John (Paperback)

I also recommend Three Weeks With my Brother, an autobiographical journey which made me want to rush out and buy more Nicholas Sparks books!

5.0 out of 5 stars True Love Never runs smooth, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Dear John (Paperback)
One for my daughter. She loved the film and loved the book more. A little introduction to love, life and grabbing those opportunities whenever they pass you by.

2.0 out of 5 stars I preferred Twilight, 8 May 2012
This review is from: Dear John (Kindle Edition)
I purchased Dear John based on the reviews and having read Nicholas Sparks' the Horse Whisperer some years ago and enjoyed it. Alas, I did not enjoy Dear John. It felt very short and I found the characteres very two-dimensional. I am no literary genius, preferring "easy" reads rather than high brow literature, but even I have some standards. I thought the book did not really give me an insight into the characters, and events were glossed over without any meaningful description or analysis. As someone who has been in a long-distance relationship (NZ-Germany; UK-Germany) I also thought the portrayal of the long distance relationship was poor and in terms of the characters' actions, was unrealistic. Maybe I just didn't like the characters. Anyway. I did not like the ending either. All in all, not a good book and I would not recommend it.

Dear John
Dear John by Nicholas Sparks (Paperback - 18 Mar 2010)
5.59