5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece!
My fourth DeMille and, like 'Plum Island', 'The Lion;s Gate' and 'The General's Daughter', quite impossible to put down. Superb characterisation - consummate unfolding of the plot - profoundly thoughtful. Why don't literary prizes go to those (like DeMille) who truly deserve them?
Published on 6 Jun 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Very rare I don't give NDM a 5 Star Rating, but In truth I just didn't enjoy the book, after classics of the past just disappointed
Published 10 months ago by GOONER TILL I DIE

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece!, 6 Jun 2002
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 10 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Word Of Honour (Paperback)
What an amazing book! I discovered Demille after reading 'Plum Island' which was a great book. This is in a completely different vein from 'Plum Island's' detective story, but the subtle humour is still there and the story is just amazing. I'm sure it helped that he was writing about something that he had seen first hand, but the way he told this story just had me gripped. The way that he doesn't actually reveal what 'really' happened over in 'Nam' until near the end of the book, as he cleverly dips from past to present to remember the events, keeps you completely spellbound. I've read a few of his other books since this, but this is definately my favourite. Well Done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to know the end but didnt want it to end!, 14 Mar 2001
This review is from: Word Of Honour (Paperback)
Not since the early days of Patterson and Cornwell have I stayed up all night to finish a book. You know the feeling - you want to keep going and find out what happens, but you just don't want it to end! I discovered Demille at an airport bookshop in the summer when I bought The Lion's Game for my partner - now I've read another five titles and I'm an addict. 'Word of Honour' is frenetic in its pace, addictive in its storyline and keeps you guessing right to the end. Try Demille once and you've found your bed-partner for life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mans inhumanity to man, 10 May 2009
This review is from: Word Of Honour (Paperback)
This was my 6th book by Nelson DeMille and by far the best. It has not left me yet, I often think about the content of the book, The way we treat our opponents in times of war, the way enlisted men are treated by their officers in times of war, and the way men treat their supposed comrades in war.
I felt quite wretched at times reading this book, and found it at times quite harrowing, I don't know if this is because I am an older reader, and remember seeing immages of Vietnam War on tv at the time,
I agree the narrative could have been shorter, but that the story needed to be told in (real time). When many young men went to the Vietnam war, they were immature and had not yet lived, some of them never got the chance to live. I think that needs to be taken into consideration when reading this book. I also think that groups of young men at that time, perhaps didn't realise what the consequences of their actions might bring in later life.
2 lessons to be learned here, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and what goes around, comes around.
All in all a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 22 Mar 2002
This review is from: Word Of Honour (Paperback)
Word of Honour is a very good book and my second Demille novel. I have now, however, ordered another two on the strength of both the above.
This is very well-written, has a sound plot and the book features believable characters. There have been many books with the Vietman war as a theme, but this book handles an interesting and difficult sub-topic with a great deal of flair.
If there is one minor criticism it is that the 750 pages could have been condensed quite easily I think. In my view, Demille broke continuity too often - or maybe I was just too anxious to find out what was around the corner.
This writer now makes my list of top authors very comfortably and I hope he continues to churn out such high quality product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, 7 April 2010
This review is from: Word Of Honour (Paperback)
Have read several books by this man this is by far the best if a little long. Many twists and turns it kept me awake till the early hours

5.0 out of 5 stars Lest we forget, 25 Sep 2013
G. M. Sinstadt - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Word of Honour (Kindle Edition)
Word of Honour has been in print for almost twenty-five years and should remain available for many more. The author describes it as "a story of love, survival, loyalty, betrayal and, ultimately, redemption." It can be read as a court room drama, or as a war story, or as a morality tale, for it is all of those. Above all, perhaps, it is as good a work of fiction as any born of America;s enduring sense of failure in the Vietnam war. Read now, with the knowledge of subsequent futile campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, it is chastening.

De Mille has written other books that read well and have sold prolifically, but Word of Honour strikes this reader as on an entirely more elevated level. Crucially, it does not take sides. The fact that war dehumanises all those who take part is powerfully made, but in apportioning blame its careful balance challenges the reader to avoid superficial verdicts.

The craftsmanship is admirable, moving between events separated by eighteen years without allowing the tension to relax. And there are memorable characters, not least Vincent Corva, the Jewish civil attorney who pits his poor record against a vengeful military ethos.

As a matter of principle I am not in favour of books that run to 750 pages but in this case there is little surplus fat on the bones. Word of Honour may not be another War and Peace but it would not sit uncomfortably on the same shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing - Unputdownable!, 16 Jan 2008
L. Bradfield (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Word Of Honour (Paperback)
Without doubt one of the best books I have ever read. Profound, passionate, detailed - simply awesome. Nelson Demille has always been one of my favourite authors however my earlier experience of his novels has been limited to the fabulous John Corey range. This is the first of his books that I have read outside of this range and I am both surprised and pleased to say that I defintely now class this as being his finest to date! Of course I now need to read all the others just to make sure! I truly struggle to see whether he can top this but look forward to finding out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 21 Mar 2006
Mr. A. J. Woodford (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Word Of Honour (Paperback)
Once again Nelson Demille has written a page turning novel about Vietnam. The book is fast paced and you feel as if you get a pretty good impression of the pressures those who fight in wars are under and what they may do. Overall, not one of Nelson Demilles finest but still a credible and enthralling account of a troubled time in the main character's life. Well worth the read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Word of honour, 18 Nov 2013
This review is from: Word of Honour (Kindle Edition)
As in my past reviews I like Nelson demilles books, they are always a very good read
Will bur more

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Word Of Honour
Word Of Honour by Nelson DeMille (Paperback - 3 July 2008)
8.74