5.0 out of 5 stars A Master of Her Craft
Lady of the English I can never wait to get my hands on one of Elizabeth Chadwick's books, I know I am in for a treat!

Lady of the English is about two women. First of all the Empress Matilda (as she is called in this telling) and Adaliza of Louvain the second wife of Henry I. The story begins when the newly widowed Empress Matilda is called home to England...
Published on 15 July 2011 by jerelyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Praise for Chadwick's latest medieval tale.
Being a die hard fan of Elizabeth Chadwick, I must admit I awaited the arrival of Lady of the English with great impatience. Upon it's arrival, I immediately began the journey into the lives of Matilda and Adeliza. For this book is about both women.

Ms. Chadwick's take on Matilda is very much tempered with support and excuses for this very disparaged Empress...
Published on 28 Jun 2011 by Lynne M. Heslip

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth Chadwick books, 27 Feb 2013
Joan Delamore "Mary J" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady Of The English (Paperback)
I have read all published, with the exception of this one, but I know I shall enjoy it. Philipa Gregory was my favourite historial author until I discovered Elizabeth Chadwick and I have now transferred my allegiance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable story from Elizabeth Chadwick, 6 Feb 2013
I only came across Elizabeth Chadwick about 3/4 months ago, but I have since read several of her books and have bookmarked several more. I like historical novels - all periods. Elizabeth Chadwick certainly does her research which make her novels extremely interesting. I have come across facts and practices of the relevant period which have been most interesting - and in some cases quite startling! All in all a very good story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining History, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lady Of The English (Paperback)
Like all Elizabeth Chadwick books, this has the ability to draw you into the story and the period and to make it all very real. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Lady Of The English (Paperback)
Quick delivery! I haven't read it yet but I love Elizabeth Chadwicks' style, and the history is so interesting! Always a good read. I have read all her books and loved them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another knockout Elizabeth Chadwick book, 21 Dec 2012
As usual, well written and brings history alive. Characters seem real and you are left feeling part of their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 10 Dec 2012
I have now read all of Elizabeth Chadwick's books. I have enjoyed all of them and this one certainly didn't disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lady of the English, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Lady Of The English (Paperback)
I loved this book as Elizabeth Chadwick is a great story writer, but obviously researches her subjects well- a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Captivating Story, 19 Aug 2012
This review is from: Lady Of The English (Hardcover)
Set in medieval England, Normandy and Anjou, the novel tells the story of Empress Maltida, daughter of King Henry 1, who married at the age of 12 Henry V, Emperor of Germany. She left the German court after his death and at age 23 returned home only to be forced to marry young Geoffrey, Count of Anjou. Her father had hoped the couple would produce a male heir to continue his dynasty. When her father died Matilda claimed the throne but his barons elected her male cousin Stephen to take the crown instead. Their rivalry led to years of unrest and civil war.

A good part of the story is dedicated to Maltilda's stepmother, Adeliza of Louvain, who was the same age, a good friend and ally. She was an important asset in the struggle Matilda had to attain her goals.

The author's imaginative and colourful writing brings to life the medieval period and it is evident she has meticulously researched and done her best to accurately portray the major events. The interpretation of the characters and their relationships is not only both captivating and fascinating but also refreshing. She includes sufficient details of the daily life and the hardships of war to give the story texture and complexity. The narration is modern and down to earth and I was from the start deeply immersed into the lives and politics of the times. At the end of the novel the author's notes differentiate the facts from speculation.

This is another part of history made interesting by a talented author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trythisitisgood, 7 May 2012
I am a fan of Elizabeth Chadwick and although this book does not rival The Greatest Knight or to Defy a King it is always interesting as Elizabeth Chadwick has an uncanny ability to interest the reader from the first paragraph. The main characters are important in their position in history but were not at all successful and therefore to write an interesting story about them shows great talent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits the mark again, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Lady Of The English (Hardcover)
I love Elizabeth Chadwick's books, I have read them all, and am always eagerly anticipating the next one. I waited for this books to come out for ages, and I am pleased to say I was not disappointed. I loved the contradictions between the characters of these two women, and yet the way their relationship remains strong through incredible adversity. This book strays slightly from what she usually writes, but is no less brilliant for it.

Chadwick has a skill which has the power to transport you back into the past. When I read her books I feel like I am in another time and another place, with all the smells and noises around me. In effect I am in a different world when I read her books, and for me that is what reading is all about. I read historical fiction because I love to be transported to that other world.

Chadwick really is a master at what she does. Although this is not my favorite of her books, in my opinion that does not mean that it is not fantastic, it just means she has written so many incredible books. I am eagerly anticipating her next book, and I am sure I will re-read some of her old ones in the mean time!

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 9 | Next ›

Lady Of The English
Lady Of The English by Elizabeth Chadwick (Paperback - 13 Sep 2012)