Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 February 2006
I found this book a bit hard to get into at first but after about chapter 4 i was hooked.
Nicholas Sparks has done it again, he has wrote a truly amazing book. I felt as if i knew Lexie and Jeremy. I won't give anything away but read this book !!
I have just started reading the sequel at first sight and am hooked to that one too !!!!
on 3 May 2015
Never ceases to amaze me how Mr Sparks conjures up such spell binding stories. Once again gripped from start to finish. Always a little sad when they're over. Believe it or not I am a true believer in the star that is Nicholas Sparks who brings a little glow of contented happiness with everyone of his stories I read. Hope you enjoy them as much as I.
on 30 December 2015
Nicholas Sparks is my favourite author and I love escaping to his world of romance. Very easy to read and not much heavy thinking. Great for holidays or light reading. This is one of my favourite of his collections :)
on 24 August 2009
True Believer

Jeremy Marsh is an investigative TV journalist who specializes in using science to disprove the claims of conmen and scammers. In Boone Creek strange lights have been appearing at an old cemetery, being attributed by many of the townspeople to restless spirits. Doris McClellan, owner of a café in the town, writes to Jeremy that she knows that the lights are nothing to do with spirits, and invites him to come and investigate. He stays in the only hotel, which is very basic, with rooms decorated with a startling array of stuffed snarling animals.

It seems that Doris has some psychic powers. Doris's daughter, Lexie, runs the local library where Jeremy settles down to do his initial research. Jeremy is attracted to and intrigued by the lovely Lexie, who is sometimes helpful, at other times distinctly unhelpful to the point of obstruction.

The whole town turns out to meet its celebrity visitor.

Investigations take place at the cemetery.

It really would spoil it to tell you anything else. This was a good read. I found the science of the `ghost busting' interesting, as well as the changing relationships, and the unexpected ending.
on 1 October 2012
Although at times I was hooked, when I realised this was "simply" a love story I was dismayed. From reading the title, and, briefly, the back, I thought this would be a story where a non-believer comes to meet some miracle he finally cannot explain. It wasn't.
And I would like to share my thoughts with the other readers now, so the following passage contains spoilers!
I think the character of Jeremy is really well thought out. I also liked grandma Doris - wish she was more important in the story - and Alvin, and the mayor. In Lexie's character there is a serious flaw - I just didn't see it in her to send Jeremy away after the night at the lighthouse. She seemed to decide that this could be a good thing in her life, and then she stopped doing it. Again, expecting a man to turn up at your doorstep twice, is ridiculous. They do not even come back for the first time, if they are sent away...
Anyway, considering this a love story (the miracle didn't happen), it is dull. It is a boring version of a start of a long distance relationship, with nothing special added. When towards the end Jeremy is to write his article and Alvin points it out that "It might be enough to make the story...but you have to realise that the solution isn't all that interesting...it is boring with a capital B...you're going to need it to spice it up somehow." I had a queer feeling that Alvin was talking about THIS story. Huh.
I think it should have shifted the ghostlight focus quickly towards Doris about whom Jeremy can prove she really is a diviner, that would have given enough spice. Of course the ghostlight story should have been wrapped up much quicker, and maybe the mayor's diary was an unwanted piece in the story, especially with the quarrel that followed. And Lexie should have been more decisive after their night at the beach-house, and stay committed, not causing the extra trouble at the end.
What do you think?
on 27 July 2013
This is another great tale from Nicholas Sparks. You can actually believe you are in this small town and see the streets and surrounding countryside and old industries. Good build up to a dramatic climax.
on 20 August 2013
Having seen a few movies based on his books and enjoyed them i decided to read one of his books that i had not seen in movie form. A really good read. Didn't want to put it down. Will be buying more to read now.
on 23 March 2014
True Believer by Nicholas Sparks

Jeremy Marsh is a New York journalist with the popular magazine "Scientific American,". He is a skeptic in anything supernatural, fortune tellers, mind readers, ghost hunters, etc. He is sent to a small South Carolina town named Bone Creek, to investigate the legend of "lights" being seen in the local cemetery.

Lexie Darnell is the town librarian and the one he goes to for researching this story. Jeremy soon fall for the lovely Lexie, although she is hesitant to give up her heart so easily. Soon Jeremy is faced with a major life altering decision. Should he follow his head or his heart?

I liked the story like, the main characters were likable. The descriptions of life in a small American town (in my opinion) were very accurate. I also loved the cover, yes I do admit Lighthouses are appealing to me, the cover drew me in, Nicholas Sparks name caught my interest, and the story kept me reading until late at night.

Romance lovers should enjoy this read.
on 7 December 2007
i love the previous books i have read by nicholas sparks so was prepared to be an emotional wreck after reading this. but for me it was disappointing, essentially it was a good story and the characters were interesting and overcame their fears but just didnt get into the story and it just didnt pull me like the wedding or the notebook.

i will be interested to read the sequel to this novel "At First Sight" to see if its any better. not his best so dont let it put you off as he is an amazing author.
on 24 October 2013
I was hooked on this book from page one and could not put it down. Was a great read. Have read a few books now from Nicholas Sparks, and they only get better.