on 21 May 2010
Ok so I made a mistake... I did not check when this was first published... So I am little disappointed it ends in 1992 just before the release of 'Rising Sun'... my fault. I guess its always an issue with a Bio of a living subject, and I would never wish to hasten his passing at all ! I just missed the last 18 years of Mr Connery's life story !!

As to the books contents... while it was indeed a good film Bio (with plenty of gossip on the way, with some waffle) and it did have moments of personal detail, it does not really dig deep into the man himself throughout his life (so far). I felt it skirted various traits that 'maketh the man' and didnt really give us the whole story - hence 3 stars.
on 6 October 2013
It is not apparent from reading the book that the author actually interviewed anyone particularly close to Connery.It therefore comes out as a series of facts that you already knew.His humble beginings,his variety of jobs,striking it rich as Bond,animosity towards the Bond producers etc.Although reasonably assembled unfortunately it does become a bit long winded.Difficult to know why in a biog of Connery,one would want to read a chapter about his wife and one about his son.This of course was published in 1992,so now really redundant.Preferable to get a book that covers his whole career now that he has retired.
on 21 January 2015
Interesting finding out that Sean Connery was paid £25,000 for 'Dr. No'. He was, however, paid $400,000 for 'Marnie', but Alfred Hitchcock's attention was devoted to producing the film rather than directing it. Terence Young, the director of 'Dr. No', said that a 'hell of a lot of people don't like Sean'. Guy Hamilton, the director of 'Goldfinger', wasn't particularly impressed with Connery as he didn't think he had much going for him. Anything else Connery did after 'You Only Live Twice' was just for money. The films he worked on post-1967 didn't work for him.

Terry Gilliam felt that he never got to know Connery well on 'Time Bandits'. His son, Jason Connery, had no interest in subjects like geography, history and mathematics at school. I can relate to that.

Lois Maxwell was only paid £100 a day on 'Dr. No' and 'From Russia with Love' and had to supply her own wardrobe.

'I wasn't convinced that Sean Connery was...a real gentleman...' (Alfred Hitchcock)
'...he can be enormously difficult, he's almost a person of extremes. That middle lane thing...I helped him at a certain point in his career...'
(Dennis Selinger, ICM Agent)
'Impressive as he is, he doesn't give as much as he could...there's not a great generosity of spirit...He knows so much about filmmaking he really should be a director...' (Terry Gilliam, 'Time Bandits')
'We're two quite different people coming out of the same environment, but going different ways...you evolve in an entirely different way...But if you branch out on your own you evolve with...different friends.' (Neil Connery, Sean's brother)
'I'd like to be married to Roger Moore, but have Sean Connery as my lover. He is very moody. I can imagine his sinking to the depths of despair.' (Lois 'Miss Moneypenny' Maxwell)
on 3 December 2015
Excellent item just what I wanted thank you.
on 9 January 2012
I brought this book for my Dad . He thought it was a good read. It came well packaged and on time . Pleased with my purchase.