Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 May 2006
Nicholas Sparks is my all time favourite romance author, so when I saw he'd writtena thriller/romance I was more than a little intrigued.

This book has got to be one of his best, his characterisation was amazing, really allowing you to connect with the characters and become immersed in the story.

It tells the tale of Julie, a young widow who is ready to sart dating again. Her deceased husband's best friend Mike loves her but is too scared to make a move. So Julie tests the water win a sucessful, handsome man called Richard. However Julie soon realises her mistake and finds happiness in the arms of Mike.

Doesn't that all sound lovely? Well at this point we're only on chapter 4.

Richard starts to show up again and again, Julie can't help but feel that he isn't over her, infact he's pretty much obsessed...

In this terrifyig, intriguing and murderous novel, you are completely gripped by the clever and complex story that Sparks has woven. With each twist and turn you gasp, laugh, and by the end cry. YOu become so immersed it almost feels like its Richard stalking you...

This is the best combination of romance and thriller I've ever read and I recommend it to men and women alike. Its a fantastic read and one of Spark's best!!!
on 6 November 2003
I was dubious about buying this book at first as i had never heard of Nicholas Spark or encountered any of his work, but I was hooked from the first page. The book is a clever mix of romance,suspense and thriller and succeeded in keeping me gripped until the early hours. I really felt for the main characters and absolutley fell in love with the dog, whom I guess is pretty much central to the plot. I can honestly say it is one of the only books I have read that has made me feel as if I was really there, living the experience. Top stuff!!
on 14 June 2006
From the very first chapter I found it hard to put it down. I wanted to know more and more as the characters unfolded. Julie was such a strong character but I felt her pain of moving on which you don't often get from other books. What can I say about Mike? He made my heart flutter everytime he interacted with Julie. My heart went out to him at the beginning when Richard became involved with Julie. I was kept on the edge of my seat all the way through. I was constantly ooohing and arrring as I read more and more. I found the ending fantastic the whole book was leading up to that moment on the beach and I couldn't put it down until I'd finished the last four chapters. I only have one more thing to say and is that I wanted to read more about Mike and Julie. I loved their relationship together...it kind of ended where the story almost could have begun. Excellent! I'd recommend it to anyone...trully remarkable!
on 11 July 2015
I'm glad that I read Nicholas Sparks' afterword once I'd finished reading The Guardian. In it he explained that he wanted to write a book that was primarily a romance, but also had a strong thriller element. I think that he mainly achieved his goal. However, in my opinion, the first half of the book felt like a romance and the second half like a thriller.

I've read most of Mr Sparks' books, and I would say that although he's written villains before, the villain in The Guardian is the most sinister and disturbed of them all. I liked Julie and Mike, and the romance between them was sweet. There was also a good cast of supporting characters, including Singer, the dog.

The Guardian is a well-written book, but I wouldn't number it among my favourite Nicholas Sparks' novels.
on 27 March 2006
I have read a few books by Nicholas Sparks, but The Guardian is definately the best. The characters feel so real and the combination of the love story and the thriller kept me gripped. This book is full of suspense from the beginning and you won't be able to put it down. If you are looking for romance with a dark twist, this is the book for you.
on 8 October 2015
Another Classic from the pen of Nicholas Sparks ,this time a love story thriller classic! Read it in a few days! I am constantly amazed at how tender the author is regarding the love stories he writes and on this occasion the thriller too. I cannot but highly recommend this, let's hope the sure to made film in my opinion won't disappoint!
on 22 August 2013
I like some of Nicholas' books, the ones that have a bit of grit to them and bought The Guardian on the strength of excellent reviews. I enjoyed the first half, a bit slow, excellent characters, but by the time Julie and Mike got together and started their relationship I just couldn't cope with all the syrupiness (is there such a word) that dripped off the pages. Obviously things were going to get interesting with Richard, adding a little tension, but unfortunately I ended up doing the unthinkable, I skipped a whole section to get nearer to the end. This was more like a short story that was stretched out in the middle to give us lots of Julie and Mike time, but there was only so much of it all you could take before you stopped believing in the whole scenario.More real life please Nicholas, we will still love the characters even if they are not perfect.
on 30 July 2005
I've been hooked on nicolas sparks book since reading a walk to remember for the first time and then continued to read his other books and watch the films.
This book to me was another great buy and i advise people if you liked his other books you will love this one as well! I love the way he put another darker twist than his usual style, it kept me gripped.
Sparks books always gets my emotions and i've rarely read one of his books and kept a dry eye. This was no exception to gettin hold of my emotions!
read it!
on 15 March 2015
When I first started this book I wasn't sure where it was going, but soon as the twist starts and things happen I couldn't put it down. It is a bit of a scary book in some ways, at time I found myself worried and bit creeper out. This is an amazing story, but the ending is sad, I cried quite a bit during the last chapter, so get your tissue ready. Nicholas Sparks well done on another fantastic story, this is also a lot different to his other stories.
on 30 July 2013
Struggling to finish this. I bought it to read in South Carolina on holiday, but am finding the plot very much like his other romances and there is less North Carolina ambience than in some of the others. The Notebook and Safe Haven were better.