5.0 out of 5 stars Petrifyingly Passionate
Nicholas Sparks is my all time favourite romance author, so when I saw he'd writtena thriller/romance I was more than a little intrigued.

This book has got to be one of his best, his characterisation was amazing, really allowing you to connect with the characters and become immersed in the story.

It tells the tale of Julie, a young widow who is ready...
Published on 19 May 2006 by Outraged Teen

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best
Struggling to finish this. I bought it to read in South Carolina on holiday, but am finding the plot very much like his other romances and there is less North Carolina ambience than in some of the others. The Notebook and Safe Haven were better.
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Petrifyingly Passionate, 19 May 2006
This review is from: The Guardian (Paperback)

It tells the tale of Julie, a young widow who is ready to sart dating again. Her deceased husband's best friend Mike loves her but is too scared to make a move. So Julie tests the water win a sucessful, handsome man called Richard. However Julie soon realises her mistake and finds happiness in the arms of Mike.

Doesn't that all sound lovely? Well at this point we're only on chapter 4.

Richard starts to show up again and again, Julie can't help but feel that he isn't over her, infact he's pretty much obsessed...

In this terrifyig, intriguing and murderous novel, you are completely gripped by the clever and complex story that Sparks has woven. With each twist and turn you gasp, laugh, and by the end cry. YOu become so immersed it almost feels like its Richard stalking you...

This is the best combination of romance and thriller I've ever read and I recommend it to men and women alike. Its a fantastic read and one of Spark's best!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've ever read!, 6 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Guardian (Paperback)
I was dubious about buying this book at first as i had never heard of Nicholas Spark or encountered any of his work, but I was hooked from the first page. The book is a clever mix of romance,suspense and thriller and succeeded in keeping me gripped until the early hours. I really felt for the main characters and absolutley fell in love with the dog, whom I guess is pretty much central to the plot. I can honestly say it is one of the only books I have read that has made me feel as if I was really there, living the experience. Top stuff!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 14 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Guardian (Paperback)
From the very first chapter I found it hard to put it down. I wanted to know more and more as the characters unfolded. Julie was such a strong character but I felt her pain of moving on which you don't often get from other books. What can I say about Mike? He made my heart flutter everytime he interacted with Julie. My heart went out to him at the beginning when Richard became involved with Julie. I was kept on the edge of my seat all the way through. I was constantly ooohing and arrring as I read more and more. I found the ending fantastic the whole book was leading up to that moment on the beach and I couldn't put it down until I'd finished the last four chapters. I only have one more thing to say and is that I wanted to read more about Mike and Julie. I loved their relationship together...it kind of ended where the story almost could have begun. Excellent! I'd recommend it to anyone...trully remarkable!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read., 27 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Guardian (Paperback)
I have read a few books by Nicholas Sparks, but The Guardian is definately the best. The characters feel so real and the combination of the love story and the thriller kept me gripped. This book is full of suspense from the beginning and you won't be able to put it down. If you are looking for romance with a dark twist, this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from sparks, 30 July 2005
This review is from: The Guardian (Paperback)
I've been hooked on nicolas sparks book since reading a walk to remember for the first time and then continued to read his other books and watch the films.
This book to me was another great buy and i advise people if you liked his other books you will love this one as well! I love the way he put another darker twist than his usual style, it kept me gripped.
Sparks books always gets my emotions and i've rarely read one of his books and kept a dry eye. This was no exception to gettin hold of my emotions!
read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best read ever, 11 July 2005
This review is from: The Guardian (Paperback)
I am a relatively new Sparks fan, and only started reading his books after seeing The Notebook on DVD. HOwever, he has now bceome my favourite romance fiction author of all time. He has a wonderful knack of giving a seemingly ordinary romantic story a page turning twist. This story tells the tale of an ordinary small town girl who was basically in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong man. The chilling twist of jealousy and betrayal has you gripped from the start, and I defy anyone not to read it on one sitting - I did and I can't wait to get my teeth into the next Sparks book.

5.0 out of 5 stars delicacy and romance at its best, 31 July 2004
This review is from: The Guardian (Paperback)
From the day I started reading Message in a Bottle, Nicholas Sparks has become one of my favourite fiction authors. As an amaateur writer myself, I like to read books to inspire myself and learn the style that is best suited to these kinds of stories and I must say, after reading almost all of Sparks' books, they are all superb! The Guardian is one that I have especially enjoyed and I have not missed the delicacy with which Sparks describes every single scene. He has a knack for writing about love stories, about how one is feeling when heartbroken, when in love, when lovesick, and also when crazy! I liked Richard's character, even though he was the 'baddy', the way SparHks describes him shows the amount of detail that went into his research.
But my real favourite was Singer. That dog was amazing...and he just felt so real! He's the real hero of the story.
It's really a fantastic book with everything you'd ever want in a novel. Romance, laughter, lots of suspense and page turning! AND a really good ending!

4.0 out of 5 stars (wo)mans best friend, 24 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Guardian (Paperback)
Was ever there a dog so faithful as Singer?
Spark's writes in a manner that will not offend the most prudish reader. He delicately descripts the love life and misfortunes of Julie Barenson - a simple-life hairdresser from the mid-east coast; Julie is a thankful, humble mortal who knows she has been blessed. Life has also thrown more that a few testing times her way. It's not over yet either. As she faces her quest for love once again there is more tribulation ahead. A wonderful love story with a nightmare attached... If you really want to cry, however, you might be better reading Spark's Message in a bottle. Learn how a man should really love a woman - My Dearest Catherine...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, 30 July 2013
This review is from: The Guardian (Kindle Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 15 July 2013
This review is from: The Guardian (Kindle Edition)
Its a toss of a coin with these Nicholas Sparks books, some you read are good & others are slow, draw out, predictable.

The Guardian
The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks (Paperback - 3 April 2008)
5.99