5.0 out of 5 stars THEY MUST - BUT DO THEY TALK OUT OF THEM?
This is a totally daft surreally inventive book which moves the total sum of knowledge of the human race forward not one jot and all the better for that! Thoroughly enjoyable - very funny - buy one and give the other away free to a particularly stodgy relative!

Mick Drake- author of the comic novel All`s Well at Wellwithoute
Published on 15 Nov 2007 by M. Drake

3.0 out of 5 stars Great questions, not so sure about the answers...
Published on 5 Jan 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great questions, not so sure about the answers..., 5 Jan 2008
Amazon Customer (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do Ants Have Arseholes?: ...and 101 other bloody ridiculous questions (Paperback)
Going by the other reviews on here, this book really seems to divide people in a Marmitian kind of way (you either love it or hate it). The concept's great, and the questions are things that we all need to know the answers to. Actually, they're not, but they are funny: Where does my lap go when I stand up? Where is the middle of nowhere? How easy is it to fall off a log? Is there another word for synonym? My housemate claims to be indifferent to Marmite - is he weird? (And based on the answer to that, perhaps I'm weird for not reacting stronger one way or the other to this book?...)

Quite a few of the answers, discussions and "editor's comments" did make me smile, and can be pretty clever in a surreal, not-to-be-taken-in-the-least-bit-seriously way. I can see how some people would really find it funny when others really wouldn't. But personally, ultimately I didn't find the book quite as funny as I thought it had promised. Then again, with a title like that, it did have a lot to live up to...

1.0 out of 5 stars I must have missed something...but this didnt miss the bin., 11 Aug 2008
I knew within a few pages this was not for me. I am quite a juvenile 36 year old but this was far too juvenile for me, (taking in mind I have a wife and 2 kids - so not 'that' juvenile). It was just not funny and was just stupid. Think of a question, let some chimps type, some completely random answers and publish it. I dont usually throw books away - but within two weeks this was nestled gently at the bottom of the recycling bin, probably the best decision I made, and being safely aware that this copy could no longer inflict itself on anyone else. Dont get me wrong I have a good sense of humour - but this stuff is just unfunny crap.

Some people may find it funny, but hey 'Last of the Summer Wine' lasted for years so there is no accounting for taste - this book made me smile less (and I despise Last Of The Summer Wine).

I would like to think that (if it is ever re-printed), the last question being "How do you feel now sucker, after parting with your hard earned cash for this dirge?". The title of the book is quite funny, hence 1 star.

PS I have an idea, I should give this book 5 stars, that is far more hilarious than anything between its pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars THEY MUST - BUT DO THEY TALK OUT OF THEM?, 15 Nov 2007
M. Drake - See all my reviews

Mick Drake- author of the comic novel All`s Well at Wellwithoute

2.0 out of 5 stars Some good Q&A when you sift through the rubbish, 24 Aug 2009
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
A strange book to review. You feel and hope the book will be good, have good humour and interesting stories. However, for each interesting Q&A, there are plenty of stupid boring ones. You have to sift through the book to find anything that is worth reading.

Think of the book as one in the lines of the adult comic "Viz", and you will not be far off. The questions are silly and the answers made up. If I had known this from the beginning, I would not have bothered with the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Arseholes write about Ants and 101 OBRQs?, 30 April 2008
Rob Sawyer (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
I read the negative reviews here about this book and thought what a load of stuffshirts. With my well honed schoolboy sense of humour I couldn't wait to take this to the inner sanctum to read.

I have to agree with the 'stuffshirts' I am afraid. I cannot even say it is 'puerile', it's just rubbish. I think there was something that made me laugh somewhere but not sure.

A shame, a great title and a great idea for a parody on the absolutely excellent New Scientist books but I think they had more humour in them than this does. It reminded me of 'Shite's unoriginal miscellany' the author's name was a perfect description of the contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like to laugh . . ., 12 Dec 2007
And who doesn't, then buy DO ANTS HAVE . . . and laugh your arse off! i got this along with Sedaris's DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUROY AND DENIM and haven't had such a good time in a while. Both books are funny. DO ANTS actually is informative and fun. Would also recommend DIARY by Chuck Palahniuk! All great fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and misleading, 28 Jun 2009
S M (Bedfordshire, England.) - See all my reviews
I thought that this book would be along the lines of the excellent 'What eats wasps?' and 'Why don't a penguin's feet freeze?' books. Boy was I wrong. It's full of very silly questions and facetious replies. No science or even fact is part of this book! It's dreadful and painfully unfunny. I hate throwing things away, but giving it to a charity shop would be about as helpful as passing on a cold...

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant spoof - Audio CD Review, 3 Nov 2008
I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any reviews here for the Audio CD version of this book so i thought i'd add one...

Firstly I dont think i would find this half as funny if i was reading it, but the audio version did make me laugh aloud at work prompting colleagues to ask what was so funny and why i was sitting for two hours with a smile on my face!

I've noticed that some people may not have understood that this book is a spoof and completely fictional - all questions and answers are made up. This book is a parody of those ten-a-penny 'interesting q&a' books that have been all the rage in recent years and it spoofs them very well.

I would highly recommend the audio version as the voice talent is excellent and very funny. If you are a fan of Tamsin Grieg, Mark Heap or Julian Rhind-Tutt (the readers - all from Green Wing and many other brilliant TV Shows) you will know exactly what sort of comedy and colourful characters to expect.

Hope this helps! Like i said there didnt seem to be many (if any) other Audio CD reviews and i think the voice talent is worth a mention and it really makes the book a lot funnier!

1.0 out of 5 stars I felt compelled to review this as it was so bad, 3 Mar 2008
Louise (Plymouth, Uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this book thinking it might contain lots of interesting and random facts about things and life in general. It is a very small book containing fictional letters from people which are meant to be humourous but if you have half a brain it is really very tedious and uninteresting.

There are smatterings of factual information but you would have to be aware of this information in the first place in order to sieve it out of the sea of complete and utter nonsense it is contained within.

In short, do not buy this if you are hoping for an interesting read. Perhaps younger readers would enjoy it but they would certainly not learn anything.

I did find this book useful as a sleeping aid as it is so competely boring and pointless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, 30 Jan 2012
This did take a while to read but only due to commitments, it was an excellent read and i would recommed others to take a peek as well

Do Ants Have Arseholes?: ...and 101 other bloody ridiculous questions