on 1 July 2010
This is the first Jenny Colgan book I have read and I wasnt that impressed...
I agree with the other reviews that the blurb is mis-leading, however I found the character Posy, quite an honest portrayal of a young woman of the noughties, I loved the interations between her and her friends. And at some points, I laughed out loud at the one liners...

However, the story was a little silly...again, I agree with the other reviewers that Posy isnt particularly likable, she clearly has a lovely boyfriend, but its a case of the grass is always greener.

I finished the book and I loved the ending...if totally predictable. But it left you with a warm feeling. Id recommend it for a holiday read, but it wouldnt be a book I would read again
on 9 September 2010
I have never bothered to give a book a bad review before, but this one does need to come with a warning. A lot of the faults have already been mentioned: incorrect blurb, slow storylines etc. For me though, by far the worst thing was the quality of writing. I had to read so many sentences over again. One sentence is actually a staggering 92 WORDS LONG!!!!!!(And no, it wasn't a character's rant or anything that can be justified) This is not a patch on the normal Sophie Kinsella style chick lit.

As other reviews have said, I may not even end up finishing this. I can't be bothered with it.
on 1 July 2010
After recently reading Jenny Colgan's more popular book 'Operation Sunshine', I had high expectations for this book. Although, I was left bored after the first chapter. It was hard to understand where the story was heading but when it did start to unravel, I found it very predictable. I would recommend this book if you wanted a easy, light read but if you're looking for something interesting and witty, then look somewhere else.
on 27 May 2010
I loved Jenny's last book Diamond's are a girl's best friend so eagerly looked forward to this. I wish I had taken more notice of Leah's review and saved myself from buying it. The synopsis on the back must have been written by someone who hadn't read the book as Posy's engagement is broken as a result of her going to see ex boyfriends and lying about this to her long suffering fiance.

It's tricky as Jenny must have spent a while writing this book and I feel bad but the only bit I liked was the brief visit to a Scottish Island and that barely took a chapter. Maybe if there had been something to like about the main character, Posy, it would have been easier to read?
on 24 July 2010
I looked on Amazon for ages looking for a good sounding chick-flick,and came across this one and it appealed to me very much. However it was a strange read because it's hard to say whether i liked it or not. So three stars it is. The bad points of the book was that it dived straight in, which fair enough some people like, but i felt like i needed to get to know the characters. But the author seemed to set up the characters like you already knew them. I thought the main character Posy was okay, but i wasn't keen on her sister or best friend at all, i found them hard to like. It wasn't the most humourous book but it had some good moments, most particularly i liked it when Posy remembered back to her past.
on 6 July 2010
I bought this book while on holiday with my boyfriend and I really enjoyed it. The characters in the book are easy to relate to and there are some quite funny moments in the book and also parts which make you sit back and think.

The story centres around Posy, who's seemingly perfect hunky boyfriend Matt proposes to her on top of the mountain where they had their first date. Posy hoewever, soons has doubts and sets out to find all her ex boyfriends on facebook in order to track them down and discover if she has Mr Right or if she let Mr Right get away. (I wont say any more as i dont want to spoil the book for anyone).

I know alot of the reviews for this book are not that great,but give it a chance! There are some real funny character in this book, (like Posy's sister Fluer who was married by a tree to a drummer at Glastonbury. I was totally gripped by the book and couldnt stop reading it! I will deffinetly buy more Jenny Colgan books after reading this one!
on 29 August 2010
I tried to read this book and ended up skimming through it in seach of an interesting scene - I hadn't any joy. I hated everything about the good the bad and the dumped: the characters are uncoinvincing and flat, the plot is lousy. But worst of all, the language is hardly what I'd call a disply of the craft. I don't usually give books away, but I'm tempted to throw this one in the bin.
on 27 February 2016
Well, what a surprise! I have read a few Jenny Colgan books, and though I really liked the earliest ones and the Rules series, found some later titles to be hit and miss and too young for my tastes. To be honest, I wasn’t really expecting a great deal from this book. And I was so pleasantly surprised.

Insurance marketing administrator Posy - twee names for chick lit characters is one of my annoyances but this one I didn’t mind - has just accepted her nice-and-normal boyfriend Matt’s proposal. But immediately she starts to do something very out of the ordinary; look up all her exes on Facebook to find out what went wrong with her relationship with them, so she can get married without any reservations. Now straight away that is a big red flag! Bit too late, Posy! But somehow, the whole book worked. I could sort of see where she was coming from – it’s something I am curious about myself; though I would probably not do it immediately after accepting a proposal! This was very ill timed and raised doubts in Matt’s mind, quite naturally, that she was simply settling and she then fears she will lose everything. Cue a bit of a meltdown.

Some of the characters are irritating, particularly her mother who is, in fact, downright nasty, and her friend and sister are bonkers. Her half brother is “the least sensitive example of humanity outside of Simon Cowell”. There are pointing-back references about one of the exes and something having happened that was so bad she couldn’t recover for a long time, but on revealing it, it was very tame indeed. Not a nice thing, but not that life-shattering. The incident is borne out of Posy’s insecurity about marriage, which has been fed by her mother’s unkind comments and lies about her father and dismissing treatment by one of her ex-boyfriends “she couldn’t ignore the nagging voice that told her that Adam was happier in company because he didn’t want to be with just her. Ever. That, in fact, she was tolerated, certainly not cherished, and even more certainly not loved.” How sad to settle for, and be grateful for, that.

She does take a journey of self-discovery and for this reason, there are hidden depths within the book as she encounters her exes and learns about herself, her relationship with her family and puts to rights a lot of wrongs that she has been fed from her childhood. Some funny scenes, though the “It Should Have Been Me” encounter was too over the top as to be believable.

I enjoyed the meetings with the exes – Chris, Adam and Almaric (yes, really) though I thought they were a varied set of samples – and was glad when she learned her life lessons. I could see how she had ended up with each of them at each different life stage, and so glad she got the memo about Adam, eventually. The ending was just right for all the characters.

All in all, a very pleasant surprise and an enjoyable read.

NB: My cover is the lovely sunny yellow one, but the write up on the back is completely misleading and even gets Posy’s surname wrong! And we know that Posy’s dad and his second wife and son live in Essex, but are later told Jason still lives at home in Welwyn Garden City. Now, I am from Sheffield, but even I know that WGC is not in Essex!
on 20 January 2012
The World Wide Web a place of information, facts and Facebook. This is a really good read with a slight comical side.

Its about a women named Posy who in all fairness has had her fare share of complicated and different relationships from the good, the bad and yes the dumped.
Posy gets engaged to Matt her gym working boyfriend who seems so much different from Posy or that's how we think at first. Panic sets in as Posy wonders what her life could have been like if she had stayed with each and everyone of her ex's. So Posy sets out to find her ex partners on Facebook, and lets be honest who secretly has not done this just to see how they have turned out, who they are with where there live has taken them etc. Posy in a irrational state of mind seeks out Chris, Aaron and Almaric all ex boyfriends, she embarks on a mission of self discovery to find what went wrong with them? why marriage was never an option? and its on the journey she not only looses Matt who she has lied to but discovers that the one thing she wanted and really needed, she had the entire time, Posy has grown up with a unusual up bringing and a has come from a broken family and this journey of self discovery not only finds her realizing what she had but also makes her realize what shes been hiding from and avoiding all these years. Facebook addict Posy traces her steps back into her past but in doing so find what she wants for her future.

its a good read for the modern lady who likes a bit of love, humor and good old girly read.
on 25 July 2013
I decided to write a quick review of this book which I have only just finished reading (started it yesterday evening) and want to add a few positive thoughts.
I think it is a lovely and enjoyable story and to be honest, I didn't find it that predictable. OK, the end didn't amaze me - true, but there were times during the novel where I was expecting the plot to wander off in a completely different direction.
I found the depiction of the mother-daughter relationship compelling and Posy as a protagonist I really liked, just as such much as I enjoyed the girlfriend/sister chats.
The end even brought a (happy) tear to my eye and I was truly disappointed when I turned the last page as I could have gone on reading for a lot longer.
There is only ONE part of the novel I thought was unnecessary - the wedding scene and Margie's entrance. In my opinion, the plot doesn't need any slapstick-touches and I was glad to leave Wales behind.

I do have to add that I was sitting on my balcony in the sun, relaxing and on holiday - the book was a perfect choice for such a day! :-)
All in all, I would recommend it.