5.0 out of 5 stars be warned, this will make you cry, lots!
This is the first DK book I have read, being lent it by a friend, luckily she warned me before reading it, The characters are beautifully developed throughout the story and as more is revealed about them the more there is to like. Throughout the book you hope that the end will have a twist to it but it doesn't and it is all the better for it.
Published on 19 Feb 2010 by K. tregunna

3.0 out of 5 stars hmm... ok
This book was ok but by far my favourite of Dorothy's books is still My Best Friends Girl. I did find myself getting emotional whilst reading this book and I can't say it was bad, just not my favourite.
Published on 2 Sep 2008 by Bex

3.0 out of 5 stars hmm... ok, 2 Sep 2008
Bex (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars be warned, this will make you cry, lots!, 19 Feb 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars A heartwrenching read!, 11 Aug 2008
This review is from: Goodnight, Beautiful (Paperback)
I loved the book "my best friends girl" by dorothy and didnt think I would enjoy another of her books as much - how wrong was I? I cant decide whether it is on par with that book or better- either way it was a brilliant read! This book is written in a different way to DKs other books - telling the points of views of the main characters all throughout the book. The main storyline is about Mal and Nova - best friends growing up. Mal asks Nova to have a baby for him and his wife as she is unable to have them - Nova agrees then Mal changes his mind without Nova ever knowing why. This book takes you through a rollercoaster of emotions, and I cried and cried at the last few pages of this book! It deals with real issues and secrets are revealed throughout the book. If you have ever lost someone close to you or had to deal with someone you love been very ill then you will really connect with this book. Nova is a strong character and for her to do what she did and be who she was was simply admirable! Even if you have never read dks books - I can guarantee you will like this book - although slightly depressing in places - it has to be for the reader to be able to connect to the characters. If I could give this books more than 5 stars I would! One of the best books i have ever read - and I read a LOT! As soon as you finish this book you miss the characters and the book stays with you a long time after you have read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Beautiful .. Description in the title, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Goodnight, Beautiful (Paperback)
Book arrived within the time stated and was packaged well.

It has now become one of my favourite books. I had a love for Dorothy Koomson since reading Marshmallows For Breakfast and had to continue reading her books. Ive read the Ice-Cream Girls and didnt think any book could beat it but this one did.
Its a 'cant put it down' kind of book. There are shocks and sorrows in the book that arent expected but it is beautifully written and made me feel many emotions. I will read it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, emotional... and beautiful, 13 Oct 2009
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Goodnight, Beautiful (Paperback)
After reading and LOVING Marshmallows for Breakfast and The Chocolate Run, I couldn't wait to get my teeth into Goodnight, Beautiful (sorry, couldn't resist). Seriously, though, Dorothy Koomson has quickly become one of my favourite chick-lit authors, and this book simply cemented in my mind the reasons why. She creates an enthralling storyline, real and lovable characters and inspires incredible emotion - the result is a lovely, lovely book.

The plot is thus: eight years ago Nova Kumalisi agreed to be a surrogate for her best friend, Mal, and his wife, Stephanie. Despite the fact the parents-to-be were incredibly excited during the first part of the pregnancy, months later, the unthinkable happens. Mal and Stephanie change their minds about the baby, leaving Nova alone with the prospect of bringing up a child she never bargained for, throwing her future into turmoil. However, not one to take things lying down, Nova gets used to the idea of being a mother - and months down the line she is doting on her son as though nothing ever happened.

Back in the present the child in question, a little boy called Leo; has been in an accident. He's lying in a coma in hospital, much to the distress of his mother and her husband. Despite age and health being on his side, things don't look good for Leo, and Nova is forced to tell her family - which inevitably means that Mal's family will find out. Goodnight, Beautiful deals with the fall-out of Leo's accident and what it means for his family... and those that could have been.

There aren't enough adjectives available to praise this book. It truly was one that I didn't want to put down, and I raced through it in a day or so because I was desperate to find out what happened. There are twists and turns galore in this book, so there'll be surprises, laughter and tears... all packed into 433 pages. I don't want to say any more and ruin it, but be prepared to have your emotions played with - Koomson is a powerful writer and her talent shines particularly brightly in this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not fo me !, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Goodnight, Beautiful (Paperback)
Have loved her other books The ice Cream girls is now going to be shown on t.v think that was my favourite but don.t know if it's just me foumd Goodnight Beautiful very very comfusing swapped from one time to another without any warning . I read the end but had given up one the book half way through . I read about three books a week so never usually give up . Was a bit tearful even though wasn't up to speed with plot .

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Goodnight, Beautiful (Paperback)
I have never written a review for a book before but felt compelled to do so for this book. I read the ice cream girls a while back and have recommended it to many others who have loved it. Goodnight beautiful was superb and it was one of the few books that have made me cry. Its a deeply moving story, again another amazing subject, and you are captivated from start to finish. I couldn't put it down while on holiday much to the annoyance of my family. It will be another highly recommend book by this authoress from my stand point.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book, 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Goodnight, Beautiful (Paperback)
I bought the book because people described it as a 'fantastic book which will make you cry'. I beg to differ.
An average book and I wasn't emotionally moved in the slightest.

I feel like the endings of Koomson's books let her down greatly. I always get that "is that it?" feeling when I finish reading them. It's almost as if they are rushed or a Part I of a trilogy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love hurts, 3 Aug 2008
C. Jean-Baptiste (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Goodnight, Beautiful (Paperback)
Certainly different from her previous books, Goodnight Beautiful tels the story of Nova who promised to have the child of her best friend Mal for him and his wife Stephanie. They change their mind and Nova keeps hers and Mal's son Leo. Then Leo gets seriously ill.

What is different about this book from the others is that it is quite clear that the generic, expected happy ending (i.e. Mal and Nova reconciling) seems beyond reach - you do not dare to hope. DK is asking you quite early on to forsake that and look for another kind of satisfaction. Nova and Mal are very conflicted, loving their spouses but loving each other more. They martyr themselves for people that probably don't deserve it (Mal's wife Stephanie eliciting no sympathy from me) Despite this they do not chase the romantic ideal but run from it. It is in many ways a depressing book with little of the humour found in her other work like The Cupid Effect. As an exercise in showing how love hurts it is very demonstrative.

I have given it 3 * because it is well written with well drawn characters with an unsual premise but doesn't have the charm of My Best Friends Girl or the comfort of The Chocolate Run.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Review: Goodnight Beautiful - Dorothy Koomson, 23 Aug 2012
This review is from: Goodnight, Beautiful (Paperback)
I found the writing style was similar to Rosamund Lupton's in that the plot worked backwards from almost the end event to how the story got to its ending. Beautifully written, keeping the reader interested with a sound plot and great characters. Whether you loved Nova or hated Stephanie, you were given good reason to make your own character judgements. I would recommend this book to everyone and I can't wait to read more from Ms Koomson.

Goodnight, Beautiful
Goodnight, Beautiful by Dorothy Koomson (Paperback - 7 Aug 2008)
6.29