Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 November 2010
After reading previous reviews of this book, I felt compelled to stand up for it! Yes it is different from My Best Friends girl and Goodnight Beautiful but it certainetly does not deserve any dire reviews. The first book I read by Dorothy Koomson was My Best Friends girl (had me crying), which I absolutely loved! Then I read The Chocolate Run (had me laughing)loved just as much as My Best Friends girl.
Then I read The Cupid Effect. This book is a lot more lighthearted that the other two that I had read, but it had me snorting with laughter. Which when you're on the train is not the best thing and will most likely get you strange looks from other passengers.
If you are thinking this book will be like Goodnight beautiful and My Best Friends Girl ITS NOT. It is definately not a deep book like those and is just a lighthearted funny read.
Would recommend to anyone who doesnt take life too seriously.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have :)
on 28 January 2008
I have read 2 other books by the author and thought they were fantastic, hence me reading this one. I was left very disappointed. The characters were not believable and the storyline was very predictable. I did finish the book but found that I didn't really care what happened to the characters at all. Maybe it is because I am comparing this to My Best Friends Girl which was fantastic, that I am disappointed. I am now reading The Chocolate Run so I shall see how I get on with that one....
on 15 February 2003
I'm afraid I'm one of those unadventurous types that usually buys the books piled high at the front of the shop and harped on about in every magazine, but this one I bought on a whim. I'd not heard of the author or the book before, but the description sounded a little bit different from the norm. I'm so glad I did! It's a wonderful, warm tale about a woman who people bare their souls to, who get's embroiled in the dramas of other peoples lives, but never goes looking for them and has none of her own. In fact she tries to escape by leaving her job and London and moving to Leeds, to lecture in psychology and start afresh. Ceri is an engaging character and the writing is intelligent, funny and rings so true. And how refreshing to break free from the usual vaccuous-woman-with-a-'trendy'-London-lifestyle-and-Prada-wardrobe-yawn story. Go on...try something new!
on 29 April 2012
I've just finished this and confess to also reading the (mixed) reviews half way through, but thanks for not giving anything away. It's the first book of Dorothy's I have read - I had heard of her before but only as a magazine features writer - and I actually really enjoyed it. I am from Yorkshire and I liked the fact that it didn't feature posh silly girls from the Home Counties or who worked in ad agencies in London and went to Chinawhite etc etc. It didn't seem like a novel, more like a diary/confessional in it's straight talking quirky style (reviewers commented that not a lot happened) but I liked it.
VINE VOICEon 9 April 2009
I really enjoyed this book. Made me laugh out loud in places and it was a really enjoyable read. The parts where she is obsessed with Angel from Buffy was probably my favourite...reminded me of myself in my teen years when i was totally and utterly in love with David Boreanaz lol Very good character and apart from the cupid thing obviously, I could relate to this character.
I have read all of Dorothy Koomson's books and I will continue to do so :)
VINE VOICEon 25 November 2007
This is the third book that I have read by this author and I have to say, there isn't one of her books that I haven't enjoyed! I was as glued to this book as i have been to each of the others that she has written, starting it early yesterday morning and being virtually unable to put it down until I finished it early the same afternoon.

Koomson doesn't write conventional chick-lit fiction, but she does write a story that is enjoyable and intriguing at the same time. It's an enjoyable easy read that flows through the plot, developing a series of intriguing characters - some more sympathetic than others, but most quite likeable. There is also a very pleasing 'character twist' at the end of the book which gave me a giggle!

One of the things I admire about Koomson's style of writing is that she allows her characters to develop along with the plot, rather than thrusting things in your face - so much so that it is possible to read 2/3 of the book without even realising that one of the main characters is gay!

For me personally, another of the highlights was that the book was centred on a part of Leeds that I know fairly well - Headingley, Burley Park, Kirkstall and Horsforth. It's the area where I went to school, and where my brother later lived. She obviously knows this part of Leeds very well too, as there are incredibly few Geographical errors - and the few that are there can easily be put down to artistic license! Anyone who has lived in or has been a student in Leeds will recognise many of the places in this book - guaranteed!

Give it a go. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!
on 19 January 2016
We meet Ceri when she is beginning to change her life after getting fed up of being in London and people always coming to her for advice with their lives. Ceri moves back to Leeds and goes back to college with research and lecturing and moves in with Ed and Jake. Before long Ceri is still getting caught up in other people's lives from Mel and Claudine's clandestine affair to her boss who has a dark secret that she is desperate to tell Ceri. With all of this constantly happening Ceri begins to wonder is she a modern day cupid? I read this as I am a big fan of Koomson's books and I wanted to see what she started off writing and how that would compare, I went into this knowing it would not be as good as her later offerings. However I was soon disappointed and I am glad that Koomson has adapted her plots. For me the problem is not with the writing style as that was fine and no different but it was with the plot. 'The Cupid Effect' is very light-hearted and I did expect it to be from the blurb but I still thought that as usual there would be something to make it gritty. The only plot thread that did make this more gritty is not discussed until the last couple of pages and so holds no depth to it. This book is sadly too wishy-washy and unrealistic for me to really love. I appreciated it and still found it to be humorous and enjoyable but it was too light-hearted for it to be good in my opinion. The characters on the other hand are very well written as usual and believable, apart from Ceri's cupid storyline, and well developed and enjoyable to read about their trials and tribulations. If you are a fan of Koomson's books then read this with trepidation as it is very different.
on 10 February 2014
Dissatisfied with her life, London journalist Ceri D'Altroy decides to resign from her job, rent out her flat and move down to Leeds to carve out a new career for herself. Ceri once studied psychology in Leeds and accepts a teaching position at a college, which enables her to carry out her own research. Moving into a house share, Ceri begins her new life. But will a different city mean a different life?

The Cupid Effect is quite different from Dorothy's later novels, both in style and content. It's a much lighter read and full of witty observations, which I enjoyed. Ceri is a very likable character and although she often has very sarcastic comments, she usually keeps them to herself. Ceri felt like she was suffocating from the drama of other people's lives while in London, always finding herself caught up in their problems as everyone seemed to gravitate towards her. And this doesn't seem to change when she packs up and moves to Leeds.

Ceri moves into a house with two students, Jake and Ed, and I loved the instant bond between them, particularly with Jake. I can imagine them continuing to live together beyond the novel and getting up to all sorts of adventures. I also enjoyed the friendship between Ceri and her former tutor, Jess. They're obviously comfortable in each other's company and had no problem being open and honest with each other.

I thoroughly enjoyed this lighter side of Dorothy's writing and The Cupid Effect had my favourite ending to any book I've read.
on 15 May 2003
Having read about Dorothy and her novel on a chicklit site, I had a feeling that this book would be for me...A sucker for all things romantic, I devoured it instantly. Dorothy has a refreshing approach to writing - she writes as I speak! As I read 'The Cupid Effect' it was as if I was telling the story, and having read it to my boyfriend I really was! The book is amazing, telling the story of Ceri, a chick who has a 'luuurve' effect on everyone she comes into contact with. Now if you're anything like me, you'll be able to relate to the fact that she has one of those faces that everyone wants to tell their life story to at bus stops, but Ceri's more than that, unlike me who just smiles sweetly and tries to escape, she gets involved - the effect of which has some funny, alarming and v.interesting results! Reading 'The Cupid effect' is like chatting to your best mate - I loved it!
I wavered between 2 stars and 3 stars for this book, but feel that 2, or 2 and a half is most fitting.
It isn't an awful novel, but neither is it particularly memorable, affecting or stunning.
The writer is obviously enjoying herself but I just felt that the style lacks something, even though, having read the
back cover and found out a little about the novel and writer, I had an idea of the sort of story I was expecting.
I somehow hoped it would still be a little deeper, and have more flow and development.

But I don't want to be completely negative about it. I did finish it, (albeit I rushed it a bit and kind of wanted to move on) and I was interested enough to want to know how it all turned out for all the characters. Certainly it improved in the second half of the book for me.
The main character, Ceri, is likeable and is independent and interesting, to an extent.
The surrounding cast somehow never quite become fully rounded characters though.
Ceri decides on a major change in her life, and moves from London to Leeds, and through the course of the novel we hear how her friends and acquaintances confide their deepest secrets in her, but she feels she has no one to really listen to her wants and needs. It transpires that love is happening all around her, often with her help, to everyone but her.
I have never watched the tv series 'Angel' so her frequently mentioned obsession with the lead male star was a bit lost on me! I have spent a lot of time in Leeds so it was nice to hear a lot of the old familiar areas mentioned in the novel and enjoyable to have something set there as opposed to London.
I am looking forward to something grittier again for my next read though.