Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 October 2011
Delivery and price were good. In its own right the book is excellent but it is a quite different story to the one in the film based on it. Using film frame for the cover illustration is quite inappropriate. Both the film and the book are good but they are so very different. Note that this book is printed with several different front covers, possibly in the hope of confusing the potential customer.
on 24 June 2013
Although it was slightly different to the CD which I had really enjoyed it was still a very good read.
on 18 July 2013
Not a bad book to read while lounging by the pool quite enjoyable but I think I preferred the movie.
on 18 July 2013
Have seen the film based on this book - a bit different to the film but still a good book.
on 18 December 2013
Another super book from Peter Mayle, who knows the wine, food and people of France so well. This book is a little predictable but gently funny, a lovely tale of skullduggery in the wilds of the Luberon. Recommended.

Just seen the film, nowhere near as good as the book despite the delectable setting and Russell Crowe!
on 24 March 2015
Liked the story line but unfortunately watched the film of the book first, as usual the film only had fleeting references to the book. Both the book and the film where enjoyable distractions from our rather dour climate and our ever increasing obsession with working all hours!! We lack the "Joie de Vivre" and the "Raison D'être"
on 12 April 2015
Having bought the film and watched so many times I wanted to read the book. The book has so much more than the film .... The film is completely different in its plot both are fab in their own right.... In my opinion both are worth the journey
on 6 July 2013
I love the way Peter Mayle writes. It is so natural and flowing, I immediately feel part of the story. He is also one of the few authors that makes me laugh out loud. Read it right through, as I couldn't put it down.
on 18 March 2012
This book is Peter Mayle at his best. it romps through the wine regions of France with a good plot and story and imparts the feeling of off the beaten track. A good read for a lazy day.
MLJ
on 8 June 2004
This is the first review I ever wrote and was only compelled to do so, because the book was so bad.
This is a novel (I believe his 2nd one); Hotel Pastis, which I believe was his first book and a novel) was OK
His biographical works--A Year in Provence, Encore Provence, Toujours Provence, French Lessons, Acquired Tastes--were all great. I could read most of them in a day, and they take me right back to my times in France.
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of this book. The plot and storyline is terrible. His insistance in interjecting the occasional French word or phrase in italics drove me mad (like he was trying to prove he knew some French, or make it believable).
It's a real shame, because he can write brilliant books, and has me creased up in laughter a great deal (in his better books).
In my opinion, this book was written to top up the retirement coffers.
Save your money.