on 9 July 2012
I couldn't help but be intrigued by this - Adele Parks, Stella Duffy, Kathy Lette, Santa Montefiore (among many others) have all contributed an erotic short story to this collection but you don't know which one. I started to read it as a kind of guessing game to try to figure out who had written what but I quickly forgot all about this as I found myself wrapped up in the stories. What I really liked is how different each story was - some were quite explicit, others were much milder and some were in the middle. So there really is something for all erotic tastes. If you've just finished the FIFTY SHADES trilogy and are after something along the same vein, then I really do recommend this collection - it's lots of fun, engrossing and highly enjoyable. Treat yourself to one story each night - it's perfect bedtime reading.
on 17 August 2012
Joanne Harris recommended this book; well, she would as she had written one of the short stories! No, I haven't guessed which one.It is a collection of erotic short stories written by famous authoresses under pseudonyms. It is quirky and well worth a read.
on 21 March 2013
OK, I'm fair with my reviews. I give lots of 5 stars. . . So when I can't think of a single good word to say about a book its very unusual. I'm at 32% on my kindle and I just CANNOT READ ON. I downloaded it because of the names of the authors involved, and I have to say I admire, respect and enjoy all their work. The authors should've put their own names to the stories so that we knew who to blame ! And the shame is that there might be some good stuff after the 32% marker, and I wont know because I cant be bothered to wade through the load of heaving bosom rubbish to get to it. So if anyone has found anything decent after 32% can they let me know, because at the moment I've wasted a fiver. If I could give this zero stars I would. And the annoying thing is that I didn't download a sample first because I looked at the names of the writers who contributed and thought it a done-deal that this would be a good read. Just goes to show. Anyway, if you're the type of person who buys a load of toot, and has a cupboard full of stuff you don't wear, then buy this book, it'll be cheaper than the rubbish you usually spend your money on. My advice to the authors who contributed is not to advertise this on their websites because to recommend it isn't fair to their readers. (That's how I came to find it), but I wont name the author, I respect her work too much to say anything bad about her. And as for the reviews by publications, what a joke. . . A book that has the literary world abuzz with excitement, causing a frisson of electricity to pass through the corridors of the country's publishing houses (Telegraph )WHO WROTE THAT. . . THE CLEANER, because if it was a professional reviewer then its time for their retirement. On a scale of pissed-off-ish-ness I'm at 10 out of 10, because I expect a publication like the Telegraph to know what they are talking about.
on 14 November 2013
Read 50 shades of grey, more stimulating than all the short stories put together in this book. Not worth the money even if I did get it at a reduced price
on 22 April 2013
A triumph of hype over substance.
I've got to write more to fill my word requirement but that is all I wanted to say.
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2009
In Bed With is an anthology of erotic stories, written by established writers of other genres. And when I say established, I'm talking household names like Adele Parks, Ali Smith, Chris Manby, Daisy Waugh, Kathy Lette and Maggie Alderson. You may not have read them, it depends what you're into, but if you're a reader then you've heard of them. The twist is that the stories are written anonymously. So, we know the names of all of the authors, and that they've contributed a smutty story to this book, but you don't know which one it is. If you know the authors' writing well, there's a chance you'll be able to work a couple out from their writing style, and also the fact that their pseudonym is a combination of the name of their first pet, and the first street they lived on. So stalkers and the like may be able to find this information out and solve the who's who.

As a PR/Marketing person myself, I think this is a fabulous publicity stunt. This book will sell purely because of the names on the cover. I don't think many people will be put off by the content, because it doesn't scream 'erotic'. The cover says they are 'unashamedly sexy stories'. And to me, although it is just a matter of opinion, sexy is acceptable to most people. Sexy is just a little risque - maybe a bit of snogging and the finer details are skirted over. You get that in your average chick-lit novel, and nobody bats an eyelid. So many will pick up the book in a shop and buy it because they like one or two of the authors. Which is great. If they get it home and realise it's more naughty than they realised, they can either fling the book away from them in disgust, or keep reading. And if they're converted to erotica - then woohoo!

I'm sold on the concept of this book, I think it's genius. But the content is variable. I don't think it was as good an erotic anthology as your more traditional Black Lace or Xcite ones. But I do have a theory. I think perhaps that although the writers have used pen names so nobody knows which stories they have written, they also know there's a chance they will be found out. So they've scaled back on the smut. Don't get me wrong, not all of the writers have, some of the stories are full-on, damn HOT, erotica. They use naughty words and everything. But others are little more than contemporary fiction (there's nothing wrong with contemporary fiction, of course, it's just not what this book is about!) and don't really belong in an erotic anthology.

So, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of the stories, they're all fantastic in their own way. It's just that some of them aren't, well, erotic. The ones that are though - wow! The two that really stood out for me were The Convenient Gardener by "Storm Henley" and After the Funeral by "Bunty B Road". I'd still say get yourself a copy of this book, even if it's just for the pure enjoyment of reading, regardless of the genre!
on 12 January 2014
Would recommend this for anyone who enjoys a combination of romantic and erotic fiction - fun trying to work out who wrote what!
on 5 March 2009
I found IN BED WITH a delicious book of short stories which are a tiny bit naughty and very very nice! Whilst reading it I felt as if it was my guilty secret.
Perfect to run a hot, bubble filled bath, light a scented candle, pour a generous glass of wine and read, read, read. Some stories worked better than others but they were all well-written, cleverly thought out and hugely enjoyable. Saucy, sassy and intelligently raunchy, I would recommend this book to all my girlfriends.
on 6 August 2011
The noteworthy thing about this book is that all the writers are successful, established female authors writing under pseudonyms. You'd think this allowed them to be wild and unrestrained but, quite the reverse. With one or two exceptions, where the stories are playful and funny, there is a heavy pall of propriety hanging over these stories and I was very disappointed in them. It's as if the authors are only pretending to write erotic stories. This is what happens, I suppose, when you are commissioned to write something for an anthology and the editors are egging you on and promising you anonymity even though you are a famous name. The most interesting thing about these stories is the game you are obliged to play of guessing who wrote what. If the names ever do come out, none of them has anything to be ashamed of. Which is a shame. It is a great idea for an anthology but it's a wasted opportunity I think.
on 30 March 2009
Excellent book lots of fun...not one to read on the bus or lend to your mother in law tho lol