5.0 out of 5 stars A very good easy to read book
Published on 9 Aug. 2010 by Sno-Bird

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - very horsey!
At the end of the book there are two pages of credits for equine experts. I wish I'd seen that at the beginning. The very accurate and detailed horse talk throughout the book detracted from the plot. I kept turning pages to get to the next development for the Beaumont sisters, at war over what to do with their father's house and equine business.

The three...
Published on 10 Jan. 2012 by Gaily H

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good easy to read book, 9 Aug. 2010
Sno-Bird (Vevey Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
I don't agree with the 1 star review here that you need to be crazy about horses to enjoy this book. I'm not and don't know anything about eventing..or didn't before I read "The Inheritance". Usually with specialist subjects I would agree..you need to be passionate about the subject to enjoy but for once I found there was not boring and OTT detailing..just enough to keep you interested...otherwise I would have never finished the book. I found it to be an excellent and enjoyable read...explaining just enough for someone who doesn't know anything about horses to be interested..a fascinating insight into the world of eventing and running yards and an intriguing tale of family upsets and rivals, sadness and joy, trials and tribulations.
It left me feeling that I wish that I had had a passion for horses and chosen this way of life as there is a definite country-family feel to the whole thing, of a group of people tied together by their love of horses and what they do and a life a bit like a farm life with noisy, untidy kitchens full of people popping in and out and drinking endless cups of coffee. A fabulous read with a plot, a beginning and an end including a bit where you can cry if so inclined..lovely stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Inheritance" - worth every penny!, 3 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
A gripping family saga that draws the reader into deeper and darker territory; a surprisingly rich and stimulating novel set against an equestrian backdrop; an exploration of sibling dynamics, marital loyalties and the eternal dilemmas of parents and children - in short "The Inheritance" is a fantastic "horsey book" for grown-ups!

5.0 out of 5 stars Page turner, 3 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
I was thoroughly gripped by this story about three sisters all coming to terms with the death of their father and the financial and emotional aftermath. I enjoyed all the detail about the horsy world of three day eventing and sat up late several nights in a row to read on.I found it an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping stuff, 3 Dec. 2008
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
Compelling plot with several stories brought satisfyingly and believably together at the end. The Eventing background is exciting and informative leading to a riveting climax - I read it through the night.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - very horsey!, 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Inheritance (Kindle Edition)

The three sisters are very unlikeable characters. I greatly preferred the horses. Felicity initially struck me as interesting: she was a war correspondent and seemingly estranged from the family. Our interest was immediately piqued. But when we got to know her, I found her a letdown. She disparingly referred to her career as the result of sleeping with the right people, and the incident which led her to disappear for years was extremely far fetched.

I was very irritated with Bramble. It was obvious she didn't have the drive to be a champion, and she was too self and horse centred to see what was happening under her own nose with her daughter. Not to mention Bramble's new boyfriend who had "bounder" written all over him. The third sister, actress Helena, is another one with her head in the sand, discovering that her husband has been frittering away all their assets.

I read to the end, but I can't say I enjoyed it hugely because some of the twists and turns really did stretch the bounds of credibility. I have learnt quite a lot about three day eventing however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this - super horsey story, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Inheritance (Kindle Edition)
Ok so this probably helps if you love horses at least a bit.
For once from an equestrian point of view this is fairly accurate
The relationship between the sisters is also well written and on the strength of this novel I would definitely read more by this author
Loved it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for the horses, 17 Feb. 2009
Mrs. R. M. Goldsmith "Becky G" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Inheritance (Paperback)
If you're crazy about horses and knowledgable about their every detail then this is for you. Otherwise don't bother. Any characterisation, plot or plot development is bogged down by minute equestrian detail. I didn't finish it.

The Inheritance
The Inheritance by Nina Bell (Paperback - 4 Dec. 2008)