Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 January 2008
I do not want to compare LWR and LWD, although LWR was far more superior.

The first chapters, when they are in Europe, are not interesting at all. One should actually start reading the book from the chapter where they arrive in Tunisia. Still, the writing style throughout the book is not really compelling.

Then the so call 'adventure' is a farce. Two support vehicles, one doctor, one ex-SAS... It really makes the African approach naive, and almost arrogant. But I think it's simply out of ignorance.

It's actually a pity for Ewan and Charley, because finding the life opportunity to cross the African continent on motorcycles is normally a great and unique adventure. But they've missed it totally for themselves and for their own memories to cherish.

So this book is not worth all the publicity.
on 10 November 2007
I went straight out to buy this book, having really enjoyed Long Way Round and Race To Dakar. I wasn't necessarily expecting more of the same - I knew from the start that their ride through Africa would have a very different feel to Long Way Round. And unlike a lot of newspaper reviewers, I don't have a problem with the fact that they did a lot of work for 'charidee' along the way. But this book was still a disappointment. The account of the journey lacked any really coherence and I didn't feel by the end of the it that they had undertaken a great adventure in the same way that they had on their previous trip. The book also referred at several points to tension within the camp and that seemed to be reflected in an awkward writing style and succession of rather flat jokes. I'd struggle to recommend this to anyone, either a fan or someone new to the series.
on 12 November 2008
In contrast to their first adventure, the entire franchise has been entirely compromised by this incessant need to indulge Ewan's emotionally-challenged wife. Although Charley appeared to cope admirably with what transpired to be a truly bizarre set of circumstances, Ewan's persistent lack of spirit certainly detracts from this otherwise unique and quite remarkable journey. As Charley indubitably secures his reputation as both hardened-adventurer and well-balanced individual, I am loathed to conclude that a more suitable partner would have yielded greater enjoyment for both reader and rider alike.
on 1 February 2009
This book is an extremely dull and unrevealing book that has no depth or thread to it at all. It is inelegantly written, and it is evident that Charley and Ewans' entries were written by the same ghost writer as the writing style doesn't differ. The book is also full of annoying product placement. The worst book I've read for quite some years! Buy it, and it will annoy you too.
on 17 November 2007
Have just finished this and am extremely disappointed, as others have said before me.

It had absolutely none of the magic or adventure of Long Way Round, and seemed a truly half-hearted attempt at recording the journey.

Frustratingly, I cannot put my finger on the reason for this. But what came across occasionally was obvious tensions between the crew, which I suspect started with the decision for Ewan's wife to partake in part of the trip. I'm guessing this caused some friction between Ewan and Charlie and it has come across in the writing.

A real shame as it's something I was truly looking forward to.
Having loved the series of LWD I was hoping for good things from the book. I suppose after the lack lustre LWR book I should have know what to expect! This is sadly like the first book, slow paced, not especially descriptive, a touch dry and focusing more on the petty tensions and frustrations than the actual journey. Funnily enough you didn't get a feel for the tension from the TV series, but this book really focuses upon them. Charley has a habit of name dropping all the sponsors and equipment providers, which although I know they have to acknowledge, the body of the text isn't the best place to do so. One redeeming factor is the various colour plate sections which show the journey in quite a good light and the maps are up to a good standard also. It seems like a great adventure and the TV series showed that aspect really well, the book on the other hand is a little dry. Worth it if you're a big fan of the series, other wise you can give it a miss and not worry too much.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 4 June 2010
I think I read hardcore in this book a few times?

Hardcore? How is being pampered through your entire trip with free hotels free bikes and a shed load of money in anyway hardcore?

Mondo Enduro is much better than this drivel.
on 27 November 2007
It is obvious that both Charley and Ewan have spoken to the person writing this book and it is a literal account of what they did. They could have gone deeper into what they wanted to achieve etc. The thing is that a lot of people will watch the tv programme and then want to read the book. In fact what they will find is the programme in print. They had the space to expand on the adventure etc. They didn't

You get the feeling that instead, it is a cynical tie-in book that was rushed to print to cash in on the popularity of the tv programme.

I hope the boys will spend more time and effort next time round or down.
on 11 August 2009
Good book guys ,but.......... cut down on the bad language. Our English has better words that are less offensive that you can use.
on 29 July 2015
I usually read Clarkson or May for motoring type books and Bryson or Moore for travel. This wasn't totally awful but was very repetitious; the dialogue swaps over from the two main protagonists and I found their prose rather dull and superficial and almost cringy at times ("I love Ewen" , "I adore Charlie" etc Seems to me the main purpose of the trip for Boorman was to pop wheelies. I was sad so I popped a wheelie, I was mad so I popped a wheelie, I was happy so I popped a wheelie, There is so much pain in Africa so I popped a wheelie - I think you are getting the idea.
I am actually reading them back to front - currently reading the first one now ( Long way round ) and guess what Bloomin' Boorman is still popping wheelies, well at least I know he didn't grow out of it and he even got a telling off from the crew in this book. They told me not to pop wheelies cus of the insurance, which made me angry so I popped a wheelie ....
Anyway I am outraged at the quality of this book so I am off out to pop a wheelie