5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, GREAT dialogues!
For me this book was excellent. A very good terrorism background storyline combined with great new dialogue from what looks increasingly like my new favourite fiction hero, John Corey.

DeMille succeeds, in my eyes, to get you hooked from page 1 without ever letting you off that hook.

"Wildfire" was my 2nd DeMille book (after "Nightfall"), and if...
Published on 11 Sep 2007 by H. Pilger

3.0 out of 5 stars Lowest Common Denominator...
Just as the TV series 24 began to sink more and more into right wing propaganda I have a sinking feeling that Nelson Demille is going the same way. Sure it will sell to a scared and conspiracy theory ridden audience but great fiction it is not.

Published on 12 Feb 2007 by Chris Chalk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good story, GREAT dialogues!, 11 Sep 2007
H. Pilger "hmpilger" (Fiji) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Fire: Number 4 in series (John Corey) (Paperback)

"Wildfire" was my 2nd DeMille book (after "Nightfall"), and if anything, I liked "Wildfire" even better. I meanwhile read "The Lion's Game", which also delivered from page 1 and throughout.

Great stuff - if you like Lee Child and his hero, Jack Reacher, you will LOVE "Wildfire" and John Corey!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lowest Common Denominator..., 12 Feb 2007
Chris Chalk "Chris" (Croydon, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Now before anyone accuses me of being a bleeding heart liberal I have no qualms with material of this nature as the book is fiction, nothing more and a writer should not be stopped from writing material that may potentially be confrontational, but I like it to be done in a thought provoking and interesting way and not sinking to sensationalism.

Right the downside out of the way...

I am usually a huge Nelson Demille fan and couldn't wait for the latest outing of John Corey and Kate Mayfield who were last seen thanking their lucky stars for bad traffic as they watch the twin towers crumble around them as they are late for their lunch appointment in the top of the North tower. Interesting Demille doesn't shy away from illustrating Americans (and particularly New Yorkers) fear at the environment that evolved post 9/11, this was something skilfully handled in a realistic manner that I was impressed with. This however is quickly surpassed as I feel Demille tries to over emphasise the point, I don't feel it is anything more sinister than that but I just wish some of the anti-Middle Eastern feeling in the book was in the background instead of the foreground. The obvious exception to that desire is the main protagonists but I just loathed quite how much a lot of the so called good guys empathise with the bad ones.

This is a brave attempt and at times it is vintage Corey and Demille, I just feel there are pathways in the book where Demille made a choice on how this book should read and I didn't feel they were the best choices. On top of that I found the ending too pantomime but that is a discussion for another time...

3.0 out of 5 stars A Fast Read But Very Predictable!, 13 Jan 2007
Bobbewig (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've read all of Demille's books and liked them all; of course, to varying degrees. I was very much looking forward to reading his latest, Wild Fire, prior to its release. Overall, Wild Fire held my interest from beginning to end -- but it is definitely not up to par for Demille. I found the premise of the plot to be interesting and and was expecting Demille to deliver the plot with his usual amount of suspense and surprises. Ultimately, however, the level of suspense was very limited, as was the surprise level. Further, the surprises Demille attempts to deliver are highly predictable. My main problem with Wild Fire was not the story, which, as I said, was entertaining enough. My problem pertains to my rapidly growing dislike of Demille's main character, John Corey, who has now been the featured character in three books. Corey's constant wise cracks and know-it-all attitude is much more annoying to me than humorous, and Demille has allowed Corey to become "the real story" in Wild Fire. I'm about to the point that I might skip future Demille books that focus on Corey. In addition, while character development is usually a major strength of Demille's, almost all of the other characters in Wild Fire are one-dimensional at best, and the villain lacks credibility. I don't think you'll dislike Wild Fire, and if it's your first Demille book, you'll probably be very satisfied by it. However, if you're a long-time Demille fan, I think you'll find it, as I did, to not be up to this author's usual high standard.

4.0 out of 5 stars "I hate wiseasses unless they are me", 24 Dec 2007
Sebastian Fernandez (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Fire: Number 4 in series (John Corey) (Paperback)
This is another very good novel by one of those writers that above everything else has the ability to hold the reader's attention without letting go. Although there are a few points in this lengthy novel at which the technical details may get a little overwhelming, the final result is still extremely positive; this is one griping and thought-provoking story. The fact that this is a work of fiction that has many aspects that resemble reality, and many others that seem plausible, helps increase its interest level. Then, there is the main character, who is the person in charge to narrate the vast majority of the events and that provides us with a full demonstration of how good is the humor that DeMille delivers.

Faithful readers of this author have probably come across the character of John Corey and his wife Kate Mayfield in the past. He is an ex-NYPD detective that is now working in the FBI and can appreciate the nuances that come with having your wife as a superior officer at work. In this case, when John's friend and coworker, Harry Muller, goes missing while on assignment, John and Kate quickly get involved in the case, which has to do with a ruthless and explosive plan to change the world dynamics.

This novel will be appreciated mostly by people that have enjoyed the John Corey past novels, because if you like his personality, you are almost half-way there. John is an abrasive guy, who speaks his mind, has a never-ending stream of sarcastic comments and hammers his point home relentlessly. In this novel, I could not help but laugh out loud at his obsession about bears. I have to warn readers though, since this novel presents a scenario in which there is a bunch of right-wing extremists that will go to great lengths to achieve their goals, and the author tries to present this story as plausible. If you are someone that will be bothered by this concept, it may be wise to pass on this novel. For the rest of us, this is another one of those works by DeMille that are worth exploring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Fire. Mindblowing excitement!, 12 Sep 2006
Mark Philpott "marco772" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wild Fire (Hardcover)
John Corey is back!

In Wild Fire, the forth in this brilliantly entertaining series, Ex-NYPD Detective John Corey and now full time anti-terrorist task force member finds himself up against a frankly barking, but very dangerous, American patriot. Corey and his FBI wife Kate Mayfield find themselves with only days to prevent a terrible plot with the potential to change the world as we know it.

To be anymore specific would be to spoil the jaw-dropping "reveal" that powers the book along. Needless to say, fans of the other Corey books will not be disappointed by this outing.

It's more of a concept-with-a-plot-attached than the slightly superior Plum Island (the first and, I think, best Corey book, but, boy, what a concept it is...

Corey quips his way through proceedings in his trademark style and is pretty much offensive to everyone he meets. But that's why we like him!

The book manages to be exciting from start to end and never flags. With laughs and thrills in equal measure this is sure fire entertainment and not to be missed by thriller fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real Thriller, 30 Jan 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Nelson DeMille is one of America's most popular and best selling authors, and a new book from him is a keenly awaited event. A former US Army lieutenant who served in Vietnam, he lives in Long Island, New York.

Welcome to the Custer Hill Club, a club whose members are some of the most powerful men in America. Business men, military men and government officials. In the main the club is a place to relax with good friends but one weekend the club's board gather to talk about possibly the worst tragedy in American history, the tragedy of 9/11 and finalise a plan of retaliation known only by a its codename Wildfire.

The very same weekend a member of the Federal Anti-Terrorist Task Force is found dead. It is soon up to Detective john Corey and his wife, FBI Agent Kate Mayfield to unravel a terrifying plot that starts at the Custer Hill Club and ends up with American cities locked in the crosshairs of a nuclear device.

I really enjoyed this book. It is not my normal kind of reading, but it held my attention all the way through

5.0 out of 5 stars A real Thriller, 20 Mar 2007
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Read, 6 Sep 2007
P. Poole - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Fire: Number 4 in series (John Corey) (Paperback)
This is the third Nelson Demille book that I have read and the best to date! It grabs the readers attention from the first page and follows an intrigueing plot from start to finish. The story is believeable and leaves you wondering whether this could happen in real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Thriller, 2 April 2009
Tony O'Hanlon "tonyo" (Cork) - See all my reviews
Fantastic book, this book was kept alive with the character of John Corey, his sharp wit benefited the plot and storyline throughout.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wild Fire, 10 Aug 2009
Mr. Jwf Archer "Jim Book" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild Fire: Number 4 in series (John Corey) (Paperback)
This book by Demille is not the first of his I have read and it will not be the last. It definately keeps you turing the pages but I finished feeling a little disappointed. Its a poor ending to a 650 page thriller. Unfortunate considering that the first 150 pages were really promising.
However it has not put me off reading any more of his titles.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Wild Fire: Number 4 in series (John Corey)
Wild Fire: Number 4 in series (John Corey) by Nelson DeMille (Paperback - 26 Jun 2007)
8.09