Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 9 November 2008
I waited eagerly on this book and it did not disappoint. It continues the story of the Morland family.The Morland characters are all there, all with their individual quirkiness. The book takes you from Yorkshire to London and France. It deals with love and hate.The historical detail is as ever breathtaking. Beginnings of plastic surgery and mobile Xrays fascinate and the womens rights issue is not ignored. If I have any criticism it is that although the First world war is described amazingly well I think it is time to move away from it now. As it first began in book 28 let us hope book 32 sees the end of it.
on 9 November 2009
Although I have enjoyed this series very much I am getting a bit bored with the 1st world war and we still haven't got to the end! This latest book only spanned a year. If it takes a year's writing to cover a year's history Ms Harrod-Eagles isn't going to get very close to the present day unless she lives for another 90 years!!!!
It was very moving in places but I found myself "skimming" pages of battle detail to get on to the real story - that's why I only gave it 4 stars.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2010
This is the 31st book in the great Morland saga, which follows the Moreland Dynasty from its founding in York in the Middle Ages and onwards; this well researched series gives us an amazing insight into the history of Yorkshire and, as the family spreads out to London and beyond, the history of much of the rest the world.

In this book, we reach 1917 - the third year of the Great War. Previously two of the Morland sons have died in the war; however the rest of the family battle on. Some of the family are fighting in France, but, as the book progresses, more of the events of 1917 are introduced and we are given a first-hand insight into the Russian Revolution from the point of view of the Russian Royal Family, as one of the Morland sons works for them as a trusted diplomat and go-between for the British and the Tsar.

On the home front, more children are born and life goes on; but not without hardships and difficulties. Zeppelin and Gotha raids over London and the South East take their toll in an extremely sad way; and certain food items become increasingly hard to obtain, resulting in a type of voluntary rationing.
There is happiness as well as great sadness in this book which continues the Morland traditions; however, with each book now only covering a year of history - and each book coming out roughly a year after the previous; one has to ask oneself: - will she ever complete the series and bring us to the present day, as she originally intended?

I have to say - I sincerely hope that she will!!!
on 2 January 2009
I just could not wait for this book to come out in paperback, I own the full series, and am constantly amazed that ms Harrod eagles makes each character into a separate individual who you begin to sympathise with.
The latest in the series is just as page turning as the rest, full of interesting historical developments and I for one, can't wait for the next one to be written, to find the outcome, I just hope she writes all 34 and more.
on 5 February 2009
The next installment of this epic saga is well worth the wait. You feel great empathy with all the family, and are eager to know all the details of their lives. Very interesting also how woman were viewed in a male dominated world. The only thing I was not so keen on was too long chapters on battles. The book ends on cliffhanger, so hope Ms Harrod Eagles will publish next book in near future!
on 25 July 2011
The story begins in 1917. Like the rest of Britain, the Morland Family has borne the full burden of the First World War. Pre-war norms on the home front under the pressures of wartime scarcities and sacrifices have largely faded away as people try to live life to the full, not knowing if they will live to see another day. Jessie's husband Ned is "missing - presumed dead" after seeing action at Loos. Jessie continues to pine for Bertie, an army officer at the Front, who has managed to survive many of the heaviest battles from the earliest days of the war in France. Bertie, married to a woman who is largely indifferent to him, dotes on his son whenever he manages to get home on leave. He also loves Jessie. But they have managed, despite their desires, to maintain their propriety.

In the meantime, Jessie continues in her work as a VAD nurse in a London hospital. If you are/have been a reader of the Morland Family Dynasty novels from the beginning, then you will know that each novel in the series is populated by a number of characters situated in a variety of places. For instance, besides the number of family members and relatives serving in the military, there are a few acting as diplomats and quasi-government aides, both in Britain and abroad.

There is so much more I would like to say in praise of this novel. But to do that would be to reveal too much about the events and personalities who are impacted by them. Suffice it to say, "THE FOREIGN FIELD" takes the reader from Britain to France to a Russia now convulsed in revolution. I hope that this review entices you to treat yourself to one of the finest series of historical novels you'll ever read. Cynthia Harrod-Eagles is a wonderful storyteller.
on 12 February 2010
I have followed this excellent series - dynasty - since the beginning, and look forward to getting the next instalment. I shall need to look for another author soon, with similar insight and superb research for a nearly factually based family plotting.
I need something of more depth in an historical novel than a mere boddice-ripper, and C H-E gives you something to get your teeth into - an un-put-down-able next episode will be on my wish list.
on 30 September 2015
I'm still ploughing through the Moorland Dynasty, which for the most part is still good.
But at the moment there is a lot about the W1. It is very good, but it is carried into about
4 of the books. So it is a lot of battles and a lot of deaths, and some very sad and shocking
scenes at the battles. But going on over 4 books is too much, I can see why she did it, but
in some ways because the people who read her books will be mainly female, it could be too
much of the battles
on 21 July 2015
I have read all the books in this dynasty series and with some I would have liked to read of less unnecessary descriptions. However my biggest criticism is in the widely varied
Length of each book. Some are up to 7000 pages plus whilst others number 32 included have up to 600.
It seems that the editors could have had the size of each book more e enjoy. Especially as the price of each book doesn't vary much!
on 5 December 2009
As with all the books in this series, this book keeps you enthralled from start to finish. The focus on the First World War through the eyes of the families directly involved is so very different from any other way of learning about these times. I look forward to the next book in the series