4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as My Best Friends Girl
I absolutely loved My Best Friends Girl and really looked forward to reading Marshmallows for Breakfast. Whilst the book wasn't a disappointment, it certainly wasn't as good as her previous book.

Published on 29 July 2007 by Kat

3.0 out of 5 stars Ever so slightly disappointing...
Before I begin, I did enjoy this book. This is the second of DK's novels that I have read and I was anticipating a treat.
Published on 15 Aug 2007 by LittleReader

3.0 out of 5 stars Ever so slightly disappointing..., 15 Aug 2007
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Marshmallows For Breakfast (Paperback)
The story is well thought out - a woman, escaping her troubles finds herself, rather unintentionally, with a whole lot more - and the bouncing flow of the book brings to life the characters in a really readable way. The plot is there, the writing excellent and the dark undercurrent that runs alongside the story is tantalising.
But. And there is a 'but', the ending fell flat on its face. The build up throughout the entire book seemed to just fizzle out and die and left me feeling let down that the story didnt feel 'finished'.
So, as I say, slightly disappointing. But worth a read anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, not bad.. just O.K, 25 Feb 2008
This review is from: Marshmallows For Breakfast (Paperback)
Hmm, i brought this book as i really enjoyed my best friends girl..I was quite excited about reading this book..BUT by the time i reached chapter 7, i was looking forward to finishing it. It was a bit of a drag in places..This book had no 'wow' factor for me, it didnt excite me, it didnt make me want want to carry on reading, i even skipped bits now and again as i was so desperate for it to end. I HAVE to read all books i start.

So yes, it is ok, but i wouldnt really recommend it highly..but then again,i wouldnt tell people not to buy it.
I guess it just wasnt for me :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Such an annoying main character!, 9 Oct 2007
This review is from: Marshmallows For Breakfast (Paperback)
I'm sorry but I can't understand all the fab reviews. Kendra was an annoyhing so and so who had no right to stick her nose into the business of the family!!! Poor Ashling... Couldnt take to the opinionated and self-righteous Kendra from the beginning so I couldn't stick with the story after that. Read it all but found the whole thing rather pointless. Was the first Dorothy Koomson book I read and think it will be the last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as My Best Friends Girl, 29 July 2007
This review is from: Marshmallows For Breakfast (Paperback)

The story portrays Kendra's emotional journey well and Koomson doesn't reveal the events of her past too early on in the book, which will keep interest in the story. When it is revealed your understanding of the character comes together and her personality begins to make sense. The children are very sweet, which makes me think there could have been a little bit more reality in their characters - although their reactions to their parents' separation could be quite close to the truth.

All in all a good read which will keep you interested, but not as good as My Best Friends Girl. Having read this one first I was expecting another excellent book which kept the pages turning and finished in a couple of days. Unfortunately, although enjoyable, it doesn't compare to the previous one. Recommended, but read before you read My Best Friends Girl!!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful read, 10 July 2007
This review is from: Marshmallows For Breakfast (Paperback)
Not having read any of Dorothy Koomson's books before, I didn't have any expectations about Marshmallows... What I found was a beautifully-written, poignant page turner, both funny and heartbreaking by turns. Couched in the story of a family trying to keep themselves together in the aftermath of one of the parents leaving is an incredibly brave, honest and touching account of one woman's battle to overcome a horrific event in her past. There are elements of mystery and comedy entwined in the story too, giving it extra layers and dimensions beyond your average chick lit experience. I can't wait to read more

4.0 out of 5 stars Marshmallows for breakfast? yes please!, 5 Oct 2011
This review is from: Marshmallows For Breakfast (Paperback)
I have only recently discovered Dorothy Koomson and this is the third book I have read by her, although it isnt in my opinion the best book she has written it is still a thoroughly enjoyable book and Summer and Jaxson are so adorable and I felt myself wanting to be a part of their lives! The ending wasnt the ending that I had hoped for but its still a nice ending to a thoroughly enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars An exciting twist, 7 April 2011
Ms. V. Page "red dressed" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marshmallows For Breakfast (Paperback)
As my title suggests, I quite enjoyed this book. I wasn't expecting much more than a simple chick lit, that I could settle into and feel good about myself as I turned the final page. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the dark twists Koomson put on the story, with kidnapping and rape, I thought it was gripping. As someone who doesn't read thrillers or the such, I was happy to read on, as it infused the dark edges with the comfortable romantic elements that get a fair few readers turning pages.
I did enjoy it, and would recommend it, and was surprised to see the luke-warm reviews on this page, so thought I'd add my own, to give a possible buyer a different view.
I am sorely tempted to read my Best Friend's Girl, as that has got some interesting reviews, but as the reviews for Marshmallows for Breakfast points out, it definitely is Each To Their Own.

1.0 out of 5 stars not pleased, 1 May 2014
This review is from: Marshmallows For Breakfast (Paperback)
I wasn't expecting the copy to be so used.
Having purchased used books that were like New even though used, I was expecting the same. Not pleased with purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 Mar 2014
Took a little while to get into but a great story, would recommend to any female. One of those books you want to keep reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving and gripping, 16 Feb 2014
This book had me gripped throughout and I could nit put it down. The storyline touched on a very sensitive subject and required through research to ensure this was portrayed correctly which it did. Also it didn't provide a typical ending which made a pleasant surprise. Read it - you won't be disappointed.

Marshmallows For Breakfast
Marshmallows For Breakfast by Dorothy Koomson (Paperback - 4 Jun 2007)
6.29