Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 November 2004
I have been following Ewan and Charley journey via MCN and since they completed their epic journey have been looking forward to the release of the book. I was not disappointed. The way the book is written is such a refreshing change from usual travel books. Ewan and Charley take turns to write about parts of the journey each with a candid view of how each stage affected them including the strain on their friendship and their relationship with the support crew. It's a warts and all view of an epic journey covering the highs and the very lows in personal terms. Having read the book not only do I feel like I travelled with them I have got to know them as well.
I am a biker myself and Its nice to read other bikers talking about how things really are and the short comings in their own skills and confidence. Ewan and Charley are more than just Celebrity Actors they are true Bikers great friends and very likeable people who care about this adventure and the people they meet. I enjoyed every page of this book and when I finished my wife who hates bikes has started reading it and she seems to find enough to keep her reading as well.
on 3 December 2004
As a biker I can safely say this book describes a bikers dream come true. To ride around the world with a very healthy budget and all the toys that come with money/sponsorship. The book really gets over the difficulties endured and how much both Charly & Ewan missed their family. Some of it will make you laugh out loud or bring a lump to your throat. They are both keen motorcyclists who are human beings, not just movie stars. Written in the first person the book brings you close to both of them, letting you know what they were thinking, a lot more so than the television program lets on. I read it cover to cover in 5 days.
on 16 December 2004
I have read this book in less than a week, finding it hard to put down. It has it all, the fun side of life, the sadness of missing families and friends, and the drama of an impossible dream. It may seem like a "Boys" dream to travel round the world on a motorbike, but the way the book is put together makes it a dream come true for all those of us who couldn't travel with Ewan and Charley, the way they each put across their thoughts makes the book hard to put down. The photos are a nice addition to the book, showing some of the highlights of the trip. I'm not a "biker" but that fact didn't matter, although alot of reference was made to the bikes used on the trip it was easy and informative reading. I'm hoping to get the DVD as soon as possible, as that will make the journey complete. The book also shows the kindhearted spirit from the various encounters with people that are met along the way, most wanting to help and show hospitality, which I feel is sadly lacking in todays modern world.. A MUST read book.. Well done Ewan and Charley...
on 2 November 2004
This is the first book I've read in a long time that I didn't want it to end. Whether you are a fan or just someone who likes to experience travels through anothers eyes, then this book will not disappoint. It's filled with humor among the trials of accepting the trip was much more difficult than expected.
on 6 August 2007
A friend introduced "The Long Way Round" to me, saying they loved it and thought I would too. I hadn't heard of it at the time, but then uni often involves being lost in the student based world with little outside current world knowledge. I watched a trailer on YouTube to see what it was like and was instantly caught by the idea, ... two friends on an adventure around the world. Im not a fan of motorcycles, but visiting countries you only imagine you would talk about and never visit, meeting people from different cultures and seeing amazing sights, its something few people would say no to if they had the money and time, right?! I watched one episode and was hooked, and reading a review on here saying the book gave a better insight into the personal thoughts and more detail of the feelings of the two actors, I decided to buy it first (after all, in most cases the book is better!). So I bought it today and am already half way through. I was originally a bit disappointed with the focus on the bikes at the start, but then it is their true passion. However, as I read on, you really do start to feel what they went through, and it's gripping! It is not meerly a day-by-day recital of thier trip, but a window to the emotions and experiences felt by them both. And like people have said before...it's not about the bikes, its about the adventure, experiencing the world with a true friend at your side!! I recommend this to anyone who is interested in the series!
on 31 October 2004
An absolute must read if you enjoy travel writing or are fans of actors,Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman.
The book starts with the their dreams of travelling round the world on bikes and how they put it into reality. It makes for an interesting read, even if you are not the greatest of bike enthusiasts, as they are no ordinary travellers, but of course, famous ones. They convey their frustrations of dealing with their fame, missing thier family, and home comforts, as well as testing their friendship too. A humanistic book written with humour, warmth, and spirit.
on 27 November 2004
I, like many people, have been waiting for this book, and series, to arrive for a while now. I had originally planned to watch the series first, though the opportunity to get a signed copy of the book proved too great and I found myself reading it.
The tales of Ewan and Charleys early days as bikers really did impart their enthusiasm for riding, so by the time the journey began I felt as entusiastic as them for the trip. Its a shame that the series has no way of capturing those moments, other than through interviews, since some of them were rather amusing.
The early stages of the journey proved rather flat and uneventful, indeed very similar to Michael Palins initial days on his round the world trip back in 1988. In addition to the pairs Britishness, I also initially found the production teams exploits annoying too. However as the journey progressed, this became one of the more interesting parts for me. The further around the world they went, the more their experiences broadened their outlook on the world. The trip was undeniably a staggering achievement too, and the descriptions in my mind almost made up for the shortage of photos in the book. I just wish the photos were better placed throughout so you could see them at the relevant stages.
Having said that the book was well worth reading, and although the journey across the US, which inevitably was going to be a let down, proved an interesting contrast in global attitudes! However even this couldnt spoil the sense of triumph as the pair, with 40 bikers in convoy (along with a surprise last minute "guest"), rode through Manhatten to Battery Park.
on 15 December 2006
What an awesome book, recording an awesome experience. As a biker myself, I was attracted to the book just to read about a trip that is beyond my means and abilities, but the book ended up meaning much more than that to me. It showed me, yet again, that wherever you go in the world (And I've travelled a fair bit of it myself in my work as a seafarer !) people everywhere are just people like you and I, when you get past the religious, political and economic differences that can so often divide us. It also highlights the fact that people who make a living in the film industry are not necessarily unapproachable, self centred and addicted to adulation. They can be warm, human and prone to the same joys, fears and desires as the rest of us. In short, they are human beings who just happen to have a good job. This is not just a good read about a motor bike trip of a lifetime, it is a book that rekindles hope that the world, and its varied people, is a beautiful place after all, and not half as dangerous as some would have us believe. Whether you're a biker, an armchair traveller or just someone looking for an exciting and inspiring read, then this book is for you. I can't praise it highly enough.
on 24 February 2005
I knew nothing about this trip until i asked my Dad what he wanted for Christmas, he showed me the book and i bought it for him, along with the DVD, i even had them signed by Charley Boorman (not knowing who he was!) Anyway Dad started to read the book on Boxing Day and couldn't put it down. I decided to read it after him, same thing happened to me, i found it addictive, wanting to carry on to find out where the boys were going to find themselves on the next page.After reading the book i watched all seven hours of the DVD over a weekend, again it was so addictive, i felt like i was on the journey with them, i didn't want it to end. Looking forward to the next time they go the long way round. Excellent!
on 12 January 2006
I recently bought this book half way through watching Charley and Ewan's doc' here in Australia only because we are going to miss two episodes of the programme whilst away. I am not a follower of either career.
So far I have to say I am really impressed with the book, it remains true to the programme, I feel handles the initial problems esp. with the KTM factory better than the programme itself! (I am an ex KTM owner so understand Charley's thoughts -BMW's like bottoms, everyone seems to have one! (Sorry Ewan and BMW).
I am pleased that the authors appear to be honest with the reader with their respective and sometimes opposing feelings, and it doesn't seem to have been glossed over by a publicity dept looking to promote either career (but probably hasn't hurt either).
I enjoy reading travel books, am not well travelled myself through Europe, but through Aust and New Zealand. This book (so far) has taken me with the guys, and I am thoroughly enjoying it for the (sometimes mis) adventure that it is.
Well done guys - but remember, the world doesn't begin and end with Europe and America, there is a lot more of it out there - look forward to book no. 2 where you include the rest of the world!