5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable
I was not a big book reader until I joined a library and picked up a Shaun Hutson novel.Since then I have read almost all of his books.Fantastic
Published 23 months ago by Alison Sommerville

2.0 out of 5 stars Shaun has faultered on this last effort
I own every book written by Shaun.
Usually the book is never put down and is always an exciting read right to the very end with sweaty palms etc.
Published on 3 Nov 2003 by Ms. S. Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Shaun has faultered on this last effort, 3 Nov 2003
This review is from: Hell to Pay (Hardcover)
I own every book written by Shaun.
For some reason I feel Shaun lost his way a little....the ending is very poor to say the least. I wont tell you the ending for those of you still reading it...all I can say is not up to the usual brilliant exciting read.
What a disappointment, lets hope the next one is better and this is just a lapse

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the usual high standard, 18 Aug 2003
This review is from: Hell to Pay (Hardcover)
I am a great fan of SH but I was disapointed by this novel,
usually I cant put his books down but this time all I wanted to do was put it down.
So similar to some of his other work easy to work out and what was going to happen next .
shame

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many loose ends, 18 Jan 2008
This review is from: Hell To Pay (Paperback)
I'm still relatively new to Mr. Hutson's books, this being only the 2nd of his I've read. What I'm loving about his novels is the sheer speed at which they can be read - and the breakneck pace of the story.

Reading a novel should not be hard work. It should be entertainment. It should be just as entertaining as watching a movie or playing a computer game. It should intrigue, mystify, amuse and provoke. Shaun Hutson recognises this, and provides superb drama on the printed page.

"Hell To Pay" has actually got some of the most interesting and well-defined characters I've seen in a novel. We have a desperate, stressed-out debt-ridden sap, a hard-nosed cold-hearted hard-man, a husband & wife struggling with a failing marriage, a small group of ruthless debt collectors, and a detective who, refreshingly, takes a back seat for most of the story.

And then we have the mysterious child killer.

I really enjoyed reading this, but I have a gripe. The end of the story has at least two chapters missing. There are three or four loose ends that are simply not tied up. Several things aren't explained, or concluded properly. You'll see what I mean when you read it.

For this cardinal sin of refusing my satisfaction plot-wise, I'm only giving 3 stars. But don't be put off; Hell To Pay is a cracking good read, and great fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars Simple and quick read, 6 Jan 2009
SonicQuack (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hell To Pay (Paperback)
Hell to Pay is a quick blast. It has no depth, no likeable characters, stretches plausible coincidence to the maximum and despite all these flaws, somehow produces a bit of a page-turner. Shaun Hutson is a seasoned writer and can add just enough plot elements to ensure you see it through, which in this case is a child with an unusual disease. This element creates a small hook in an otherwise uninspiring novel. It's short, although not sweet and an easy way to kill a few hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Hell to Pay (Kindle Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars Hell to pay? Certainly is - just borrow from libary.., 13 Aug 2007
This review is from: Hell To Pay (Paperback)
This is a poorly written and poorly plotted book. The characters are nasty and you really don't care what happens to them. Mr Hutson has a really annoying habit of making his chapters about 2 pages long; it makes for a very frustrating reading experience! Avoid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dismal, 19 Jan 2004
J. Watson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hell to Pay (Hardcover)
This is a novel entirely devoid of sympathetic characters. It has as the basis of its minimal plot a little girl with an invented and medically implausible (to say the least!) disease, for which Hutson provides only the sketchiest mumbo-jumbo of a justification. Gratuitous sex scenes are there for titillation and add nothing to the story. The "poetic justice" ending is obvious from halfway through the novel, and the unlovely characters lumber towards the final scene without the reader's empathy or even interest. Hutson has done better than this; don't waste your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 15 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Hell To Pay (Paperback)
As an avid Shaun Hutson fan I am always first in the queue to read Shauns latest offering. 'Hell to pay' is full of the usual quality writing that is expected from this author however I must admit that although I was hooked on turning the page to read more, I was slightly dissapointed with the ending as I felt it didn't have the usual twist at the end that I look forward to.
Still definitely a good read from this ever pleasing author.

2.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you gripped to find out what happens - nothing does, 7 Sep 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Hell To Pay (Paperback)
This book was a very enjoyable read, very gripping. But so disappointing. It seems like he made it up as it went along. No structure. Plot changed at a whim and the end had no relation to the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Hell To Pay (Paperback)
he has done it again a great read

Hell To Pay
Hell To Pay by Shaun Hutson (Paperback - 4 Mar 2004)