5.0 out of 5 stars Howatch consistently touches my heart with her work.
Published on 17 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation of the Starbridge series
This book is a continuation of Howatch's Starbridge series. Although Carter Graham can at times be an irritating protagonist, this is a valid attempt at exploring the culture clash between the worlds of work and career, and the worlds of spiritual understanding and knowledge.
Published on 15 July 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Howatch consistently touches my heart with her work., 17 July 2001
By A Customer
I've read this book 3 times since it was published, as I do all Howatch's books. This novel gives us yet another twist on Nicholas and his coterie that is compelling and thoughtful, but also fun to read. Her books on the church consistently speak to me in a way that nothing else about Christianity does. Because of her, I'm becoming a "closet" Christian! I wish the Christians I've encountered were more like her characters -- real people with problems but also with integrity and commitment to something greater than themselves. When they are portrayed as rigid or stiff necked, the plot usually involves a BIG dose of humility accompanied by a change in perspective. These novels inspired me to expand my reading to include Farrer, Underhill, Julian of Norwich, and The Cloud of Unknowing. I check every week to see if she's got a new book coming out -- hope it's soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Too dogmatic about religion (for my taste), 26 Oct 1999
By A Customer
I would like to say that Susan Howatch is my number 1 author and I have never so far been disappointed by any of her books.This one, however - and I am very sorry to say that - I did not like too much. It seems Ms Howatch is now starting to write religious books! At the beginning of her career she wrote about the darker side of human beings and families and in what way they can get split. In her Starbridge novels she combined Freudian psychology with Christian beliefs and gave us a deeper insight into the struggle of churchmen with their darker side and how they eventually can find redemption through the process of looking into their past (Freud again), through self-recognition, self-forgiveness and, in the end, healing through love (of God). Since writing "A Question of Integrity" ,however, she seems to have been focussing entirely on religious questions, esp. on the ministry of healing. I did like "A Question of Integrity",though! it was full of people one cared about, esp. Nicholas (just as there had been lovable people such as Charles Ashworth in "Glittering Images" or John Darrow in "Mystical Paths"). In "The Highflyer", however, you can`t care for anyone,especially not for Carter or Kim , and Nicholas is no more than a shade of himself, always preaching away on his beliefs of the love of God and the process of healing. Too much religion in here, too much dogma, the final chapters were like one big SERMON to me. All the same, I will still continue to buy ANY book by Susan Howatch, her books are unputdownable, even mesmerizing, psychological thrillers,intelligent and absolutely unique and original.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation of the Starbridge series, 15 July 2001
By A Customer
For those ( like me ) who have read Howatch's previous books, it is a pleasure to meet again her main characters of Nicholas Darrow and Alice, a few years on from "A Question of Integrity".
The most moving passage of this book is Carter's flight from her flat, through the streets of London, searching for sanctuary. Even if you don't enjoy the book's attempt at describing theology by using conversation - read this passage. It's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and thought provoking, 7 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This is the first book by Susan Howatch that I have read, and now I am in the process of finding her other books to read. The two main characters, Carter Graham and Kim Betz, are difficult to like at the begining of the book but the author pulls you into the story so well that you have to find out what happens to them. After the first couple of chapters, I found it very hard to put the book down. What I enjoyed most about the novel is the ending. Normally with a thriller you have the climatic finish and are left wondering what happens to the characters after that - but with the High Flyer the last 100 pages tell you the aftermath of the story. I found this book to be unique and fresh - it was a wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent melding of previous "phases" in her writing career, 12 Nov 1999
Gary Branson (Hilliard, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This was a typical Susan Howatch novel. Never the less, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Susan tends to write a book with many insights into personality issues. She did that with this book, but it was also much more exciting in the sense of a murder mystery also. While reading this book, I got a sense of her early six gothic romances, her family sagas, and the religious feel of the Starbridge novels. But what I enjoyed most was Carter's atheism throughout the book. Which at one point made me realize that whether I believe in the "traditional" God or not, there is a God in my life.
Susan's books have effectively made an impact on my life. The "truths" she uses are amazing, and the insights into personality have not only been enlightening but also entertaining.
I will look forward to each new Howatch title, and buy them from where ever releases them first.

3.0 out of 5 stars High Flyer, 27 Feb 2003
I was bought this book as a present for Christmas and put it to the back of my "pile" for reading as I was convinced it was not my sort of book. I eventually picked it up to read it as the person who bought it for me kept asking if I had read it yet! I was extremely surprised to learn that once started I just couldn't put it down. The end of the short, sharp chapters just make you want to keep reading more. A very very good book that I would recommend. Gets rather deep towards the end and goes on a bit longer than it should I feel, but overall, well worth a look.

4.0 out of 5 stars A throughly good book and rather thought provoking., 15 July 2001
M. E. Spencer (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this book immensely. I particulary liked the way Howatch's shows how fragile people can be and the way that even when we are at what may seem like the best times of our life it can all go terribly wrong and we are forced to face the reality that we are vulnerable in one way or another. There were time when I found the narriative an bit on the long side, but it enables the reader to appreciate other people's view on the events in Carter's life and allows her to make her own judgement of the situation.

Gary Branson (Hilliard, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This was a typical Susan Howatch novel. Never the less, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Susan tends to write a book with many insights into personality issues. She did that with this book, but it was also much more exciting in the sense of a murder mystery also. While reading this book, I got a sense of her early six gothic romances, her family sagas, and the religious feel of the Starbridge novels. But what I enjoyed most was Carson's atheism throughout the book. Which at one point made me realize that whether I believe in the "traditional" God or not, there is a God in my life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good crime story but not much else, 17 Sep 2010
This review is from: The High Flyer: Number 2 in series (St. Benet's) (Paperback)
I enjoyed this novel less than the other Starbridge and St Benet's novels, partly because there was too little room for Nicholas D. and the other well-known characters. I also found the whole story a bit too complicated to seem true...all the bits about Kim's Nazi past and the blackmail just made it all seem a run of the mill crime story to me. Nevertheless it was a good read, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to enjoy a good story by an extremely talented writer. In case you're after more, you should turn to Ms. Howatch's more serious works like 'Absolute Truths'.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will probably one of my favorite Howatch books., 21 Nov 1999
By A Customer
Carter and Kim are so difficult to like that I found the first few chapters difficult to get into. However Susan Howatch is a master story teller and once she revealed that masks were being removed, one by one, the novel became impossible to put down. Ms. Howatch is at the top of her form with this book. There are spellbinding new characters and friendly old faces. The scene between Carter and Nick at the end of the book moved me to tears. As usual Ms. Howatch presents compelling arguments for the psychology of man and the theology that we live with. She is a great writer. If I were to meet her I would thank her for allowing Carter entrance into this special world of Howatch characters and giving her to me. I also would add "and please can we have your next book now"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The High Flyer: Number 2 in series (St. Benet's)
The High Flyer: Number 2 in series (St. Benet's) by Susan Howatch (Paperback - 15 Jan 2004)
7.69