5.0 out of 5 stars Monumental! Huge! A fantastic read
I first read Penmarric at the age of 14, and 10 years on I have just finished it for the eighth time. Each time I read it, it feels like the first time - never boring or obvious. It has everything you need in a book - romance (but hard, gritty stuff - nothing Mills & Boons here!), suspense and twists and turns. There are so many characters, all intertwined so intensely...
Published on 8 Feb. 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read
Published 16 months ago by Jenny Salisbury

5.0 out of 5 stars memories of 1976, 7 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Penmarric (Kindle Edition)
First read this as a young woman. Always remembered my enjoyment and now just read on kindle!! This is meaty engrossing tale . Very readable . Love the 'language' the author is wonderful with words and phrases. After all these years I 'see' the story now as a 'mature' person. Thoroughly enjoyed this book first time but this 2014 reading brings new pleasure. And indeed new technology ,wish I,had kept my tatty paperback. Will also reread other titles by this author in due course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Penmarric, 17 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Penmarric (Kindle Edition)
I read this book many years ago in paperback and enjoyed it.When I saw that it was available for the KIndle,I just had to have it.It's a very good read ,and was sorry when I got to the end.
I have now bought The Rich are different and aim to get the rest of the books by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 24 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Penmarric (Kindle Edition)
This is my favourite book of all time...would highly recommend to anybody who likes a good old fashioned well written story

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, interesting comparison between ancient historical Britain and story setting of late 19 century., 11 Nov. 2013
Anne (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penmarric (Kindle Edition)
A long read but not difficult and the story swings along happily. The characters are a bit two, dimensional and the men seem to get away with murder, forgiven by the women and society. I enjoyed the setting in Cornwall and it has stimulated me to look up the history of tin mining in Cornwall.

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 4 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Penmarric (Kindle Edition)
It has a strong feel of history and I like the comments at the beginning of each chapter about the past and the connections to the present. My only concern was about the Mark characterization which didn't seem to add up with his unpleasant nature yet extreme patience at other times. In all honesty I have yet to finish the book so I may change my mind in the final analysis for it is a saga.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Sept. 2013
G. Knott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Penmarric (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoying this book. Have recommended it to my daughter. Down loaded quickly to my kindle. Well written. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Penmarric, 5 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Penmarric (Kindle Edition)
I read this book many years ago, I enjoyed it so much that once it was available on Kindle, I down loaded it. Good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can lost in this book!, 21 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Penmarric (Kindle Edition)
I've always loved the writing style of Susan Howatch. Penmarric was the first of her books I ever read and I found it totally engrossing, I enjoyed it just as much reading again, many years later! If you haven't read any of her books then you are in for a real treat. It would be wonderful to see re-prints of all her novels! Both in book form and in kindle format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Penmarric (Paperback)
I had read this book many years ago and having seen it on Amazon decided to read it again. I did not remember the story at all and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I would recommend it to all Susan Howatach fans and to all who enjoy historical novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Penmarric (Paperback)
Very good. Very quick, Very reliable. Very pleased . Super quick . No fuss. Very competitive price wise. Informed when it was available straight away.

Penmarric
Penmarric by Susan Howatch (Paperback - 1 April 2004)