4.0 out of 5 stars A pageturner although a bit lengthy in the end
Published on 26 April 2003 by Christiane Grün

3.0 out of 5 stars It's fairly tedious
I thought this book was far too long and the story became very predictable. Not her best book at all.
Published 7 months ago by Tishie B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A pageturner although a bit lengthy in the end, 26 April 2003
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
What a wonderful book with charismatic characters that live with you while you read. The plot boasts with a variety of settings quite illustrious at times, Paris, the Cote Azur, Los Angeles, beautiful English countryside, but also the deep south of the US at the end of the 50s with its racism and the developing Civil Rights Movement. Every character has its function in the vast web of the plot which unfortunatelly gets a bit lengthy in the end.
You follow Edouard and Hélène through their enigmatic and powerful relationship and suffer during the chapters of their separation, almost forgetting at times that their love is already overshadowed by "sins" of their families. Great lovescenes and well structured psychological background add to the pleasant read.
The book has the ability to take you away and it leaves you sad when the story is finally told and you have to close the book and say good bye.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS BOOK!!, 23 Aug 2009
Mrs. Judith Lugg "Judith Lugg" (Wolverhampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
I have read this book on several occasions and because it is such a long, intricate and intriguing tale, I find that I have forgotten many parts, so find it enthralling all over again - it is absolutely great.

The sweep of the narrative from France, to the USA to the UK is enormous and Sally Beauman's great imagination and skill with narration makes you not to want to put the book down until you have finished it.

The story is believable, slightly racey but above all, sad. From the first time I read it, I cannot quite explain how I felt - I think perhaps it is the thread of mystery running through it that makes me feel as if I am going to be made sad - this to me, alone, makes in a great book.

Edouard and Hélène rank for me as two of the best characters in modern fiction.

Do get a copy of this - you will love it, I know and read it more than once, hopefully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, absorbing and un-put-down-able until the end, 28 Mar 2004
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
A deeply intricate book from an author with an amazing imagination. From the main characters' first meeting you will trace their lives up until this point and beyond, yourself becoming entangled in this beautifully told love story. I defy you to be able to put it down! You may think you are involved as you read it, but wait until the final pages turn and you will be moved beyond anything you remember at the beginning. Be prepared for a heart wrenching finale.. a true gem of a book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Secrets never stay hidden forever..., 5 Oct 2013
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
Published in the 1980s, this is Beauman's version of that decade's `bonkbuster' - delivered with more elegance and emotional sophistication than is common to the genre.

Moving from 1940s London to the 1960s, this follows Edouard and Hélène through the trials and tribulations of their lives, and their entangled personal relationship.

This is a big, enjoyable read which we can get lost in though the central secret which underpins the plot is one to which we are privy from the start, while our main characters themselves are ignorant of it. This does rather undermine some of the suspense of the plot which is `when will they find out?' rather than `what's the secret?'.

That said, this is gripping and involving - perfect as a holiday or down-time read when you want something easy and unchallenging but not juvenile or badly-written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Read It!, 16 Dec 2005
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
The story of this book is both beautiful and amazing. i was gripped from the start and struggled to stop thinking about it when i wasnt reading it! It may come across as being a long read but believe me its worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! You experience the whole spectrum of emotions., 2 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
At first I thought this book would be boring, but as soon as I started I couldn't stop reading it. I've experienced emotions that were totally alien to me. The story has been written in such a manner that you immerse yourself completely into role of the main characters:experience their pain and happiness. I could even feel the heat emanating from the dusty streets! I have read extensively and have still not managed to find a book that could surpass the excellence of Destiny. The ending is so unexpected, and heart-stirring. When I finished with this book I swore never ever to read it again, until I felt more confident that I could deal with the emotional experiences generated from reading it. THE INTENSITY OF THE EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCES ONE GETS FROM THIS BOOK IS INCREDIBLE- YOU MUST READ IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try Sally Beauman, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
You won't be disappointed and you'll want to order another
one of Sally Beaumans books.
First class story teller, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant Read, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
Enjoyed the book very good could not put book down wanted to know what happened next. I also like the authors other books

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book from start to finish!, 22 Oct 2005
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
I only got into Sally Beauman after reading Daphne du Maurier's 'Rebecca' and needed more, so i read 'Rebecca's Tale', and loved it. So when i came to buy books for my holiday i immediately went for one of hers. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, maybe a bit too much as I couldn't put it down!
Some people say it may be a bit too long, but that's not a problem if you're not affraid of it and love reading as i do. The longer the better!
I defenately reccommend you buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Destiny (Paperback)
Does everything it says on the sleeve. BRILLIANT!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Destiny
Destiny by Sally Beauman (Paperback - 5 Jun 2003)