5.0 out of 5 stars The heartache continues
When I read 'Bridges' I was convinced the story ended there, the book had everything begining..middle..end....or so I thought.
How could there be a sequel to it? the story was complete?
Published on 29 Jun 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars The end of the dream
I just so loved and was involved with the original story, The Bridges of Madison County, I think it was always going to be a hard act to follow for me. But I am glad I did read it and it would probably have held its own if it had been the first of the books. A very reasonable 2nd hand copy that arrived promptly, thank you.
Published 21 months ago by diana

5.0 out of 5 stars The heartache continues, 29 Jun 2003
By A Customer
How could there be a sequel to it? the story was complete?
How glad I was to be proven wrong, 'A Thousand Country Roads' is every bit as deep, meaningful as it's original, Robert and Fransesca's fated life together continues in ironic and heartbreaking glimpses, Roberts life after those fateful '4 days' reveals his deeper character in wonderful detail, his life before Francesca and after is laid open to the reader and is every bit as compulsive reading as the original.
I eagerly await the next book in this series.....there 'is' going to be one isn't there Mr Waller?

5.0 out of 5 stars A thousand Counrty Roads, 31 July 2004
witchygirl (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Thousand Country Roads (Paperback)
This book, the sequel to The Bridges of Madison County, gives an understanding into why Robert Kincaid and Francesca Johnson chose the paths they did. In one small paragraph it untangles the reasons making it easier to accept their situation. Robert James Waller introduces another character necessary to give some peace to a life lived on memories. As with 'The Bridges' Waller has the power to make the reader 'become' his characters long after the last page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 10 Jun 2005
This review is from: A Thousand Country Roads (Paperback)
As usual Waller takes you into the meandering world Robert and Francesca only 16 years later - go there, you'll love it but you must read 'Bridges' first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thousand Country Road, 14 Sep 2011
A lovely sequel to The Bridges of Madison County. If you enjoyed the first book you probably will the second. Good to be catching up with the main characters again. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thousand Country Roads, 6 Mar 2010
This review is from: A Thousand Country Roads (Paperback)
If you've read Bridges of Madison County you must read this, but don't expect to have dry eyes at the end. Robert and Francesca's stories continued from when they had to part, sadly never to meet again - un-put-down-able!

5.0 out of 5 stars White Moths are Once More on the Wing, 8 Nov 2009
This review is from: A Thousand Country Roads (Paperback)
I am one of the people who adored BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY, both book and film, and am not ashamed to say so. Many years after reading the first lyrical novel, I remember staying up all night to finish it and how I sobbed over the love of Francesca and Robert. I did then wonder what happened to Robert in those "missing years," and filled in the blanks with my own imagination. Robert James Waller topped me, of course.

The author indicates in his preface that this book will not likely stand on its own for those who have not read BRIDGES, and I agree. For those who have, however, it provides a lovely coda to those four days in 1965, with some surprises along the way. More is shared about Robert Kincaid's life both before and after his time with Francesca. Waller has that unique gift of being able to describe a place in such a way that you feel you're sitting there next to him, and this gift does not fail him in COUNTRY ROADS. Big Sur, Mendocino, and even a small town in South Dakota come to life for the reader. He also shares with us the realities of growing older; our bodies begin to betray us, and we often lose ourselves in memories.

My intention was to take my time reading A THOUSAND COUNTRY ROADS. I knew that this would be the last time I'd get to hear anything new from these characters, and I was loath to rush through that experience. When it came down to it, however, I couldn't read the pages fast enough. I just had to know what happened next and though all who read BRIDGES know how it ends, I wanted to know what came in between. I stayed up all night. Again. I cried. Again. I loved it. Again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thousand Country Roads, 3 Oct 2012
This review is from: A Thousand Country Roads (Paperback)
This book, together with 'The Bridges of Madison County' (which must be read first), can only be described as 'beautiful'. If I could have been blessed with the talent to write, these are the books I would love to have written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 31 Oct 2010
I thought this was really good an excellent follow on to Bridges of Maddison County.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 23 April 2010
A great follow on from Bridges of Madison County, great to listen too as you drive a long distance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waller at his best, 12 May 2014
This review is from: A Thousand Country Roads (Paperback)
To be read after The Bridges of Madison County and followed by High Plains Tango a brilliant evocative story of time and place.A masterpiece when read as a trilogy.

A Thousand Country Roads
A Thousand Country Roads by Robert James Waller (Paperback - 4 Aug 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01