5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book
This is my favourite book ever. I've re-read it over and over again, it still has me in tears. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a rom-com.
Published 9 months ago by Chelle

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Girl Like Me by Abigail Bosanko
This book got off to a good start and the whisky setting was a great one but so much more could have been done with it though. The character of Emily was rather too nice and goody goody for my liking and the ending of the book rather dull and predicatbale. A big disappointment of a read after such a promising start.
Published on 8 Dec 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Girl Like Me by Abigail Bosanko, 8 Dec 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after a great debut, 24 Oct 2004
This review is from: A Nice Girl Like Me (Paperback)
Having been greatly amused by 'Lazy Ways to Make a Living', I looked forward to 'A Nice Girl Like Me'. I was seriously disappointed - where has the wit and fun gone that actually made 'Lazy Ways to Make a Living' an entertaining (if unbelievable) read ? 'A Nice Girl Like Me' falls firmly into the 'chick-lit' category - and at the bottom end of it ! Although a novel setting, the plot is weak and the ending a convenience.
Bosanko has the capability to write fluently and amusingly and can definitely do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 24 Sep 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars book in very good condition, 6 July 2009
Simona Bissoo "simona" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Nice Girl Like Me (Paperback)
this book was in very good condition and it arrived very promptly. my only regret is that the author has only written 2 books... look forward to reading a third one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice girl like Abigail, 24 Sep 2004
This review is from: A Nice Girl Like Me (Paperback)
Abigail Bosanko's writing style is such that I have managed to read both her books in two sessions each. The first one, Lazy Ways To Make A Living, in the comfort of my "other" home on Islay, earlier this year and the latest one, A Nice Girl Like Me, over two blissful mornings in bed. It seems that working nights does have some benefits after all!
In A Nice Girl Like Me Emily Montrose has married Andrew Drummond only six weeks after meeting him, impulsive perhaps but with the 19 year age gap could it be called foolish? Eighteen months in and the honeymoon period my be over when Emily meets Jack, a young free spirited entrepreneur, through her new job at The Whisky Society in Edinburgh. During this time Emily and her best friend Flora, a whisky "Nose" at The Society, have come across the Holy Grail of the whisky industry - a product to market at women - a pink whisky they name "Wild Cat". But can the whisky hierarchy accept such developments?
I must interject at this point that I understand if some of you are feeling slight déjà vu, you may not have read this book, yet, but pink whisky, for girls, that rings a bell. Life, they say, is full of coincidences and the release of this book and Bruichladdich's "Flirtation" in the same week, I have been assured, is just one of them.
As with her first novel the writer punctuates her prose with snippets from factual writing. This time using quotes from the works of esteemed whisky writer Charlie MacLean and whisky tasting notes from The Scotch Malt Whisky Society, amongst others, to give the reader a better "feel" for the subject matter but in doing this she also cleverly enhances their understanding of the developing characters and story.
Although Abigail has chosen the exciting and ever changing whisky industry as the back drop to her story, underneath it all it is a witty, and at moments, a heartfelt novel. This book, like any good dram, starts off as pure potential but with time it develops a long satisfying finish. If Abigail Bosanko writes her novels in the same methodical way that Flora sets up her whiskies for tasting I, for one, cannot wait for the third, fourth and fifth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic!, 22 Sep 2004
This review is from: A Nice Girl Like Me (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book and it spoke to me personally!
I work in Scotch Malt whisky sales and read a write up about this book in a Whisky Magazine and bought it straight away. I was not disappointed, it is a great read peppered with references to the whisky world that any girl who has the good fortune to be a part of will recognise. It is a real ground breaker as it is one of the few pieces of literature that is aimed at women but has a real insight on what it is like to be part of the traditionally male dominated world that is Scotch Whisky.
I will recommend this novel to my friends and will be interested to see if it will do anything to change their perception of whisky as "an old man's drink" and whether or not it will help them to see where I'm coming from a little more in terms of my job and my definite liking for a wee dram instead of the traditional girlie alco pops!

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Nice Girl Like Me (Paperback)
Having read her first novel, Lazy ways to make a living (my sister lent it to me), I couldn't wait to receive her next book which I immediately ordered, but it was hard to believe this book was written by the same author. I read Abigail Bosanko's first novel in two evenings, I couldn't bear to put it down and just kept turning pages to find out what happened next, but with this one I couldn't be bothered to turn the page. It was so boring I actually didn't want to know what happened next. Although it was a struggle, I did finish it, but must conclude that Ms Bosanko is probably going to be a "one book wonder" and after having read this book, wont be buying another one by this author.

A Nice Girl Like Me
A Nice Girl Like Me by Abigail Bosanko (Paperback - 13 Sep 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01