4.0 out of 5 stars Will we ever get up to date?
I have read every single one of the Dynasty series books and have thoroughly enjoyed them - the trials and tribulations, triumphs and successes of the Morland family and their involvement in history through the last five centuries. I am, however, becoming a little concerned.

Published on 24 Jan 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Measure of Days
In fairness I have not read it yet, i only ordered this because I thought my daughter had put it in her wish list but she hadn't and I didn't so goodness knows how it got there
Published 23 months ago by K Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Will we ever get up to date?, 24 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Measure Of Days: The Morland Dynasty, Book 30 (Paperback)

Early on in the series, we were promised that 'Cynthia Harrod-Eagles will be bringing the saga up to the present day'. Now, I don't know how old Ms Harrod-Eagles is, but the last three books (and from the marketing blurb I think the new one, Foreign Fields), all manage to cover only a year in time. If each book from now on is only going to take us through twelve months, and the author writes one a year, then I will be pushing up daisies long before we reach 2009 and will never know the contemporary Morland family - nor indeed will the author, whatever her current age!

My point in all of this is that these three (and I imagine four) books are covering too little time. I am interested in history, and I appreciate the need to create an atmosphere (which the author does superbly); in many places I found myself moved to tears, so real do the characters seem. Unfortunately, I did also find that I was almost unconsciously glazing over in on e or two long passages of detailed description about battle formations and planning which in most instances didn't have very much to do with either the story of the Morland family's many scions or, indeed, creating the atmosphere needed for the book; that has already been done by other techniques.

Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent book; it's just a tad more detailed historical information than Morland family story (although this one is an improvement on the previous two in that respect).

I really feel that World War I could have been covered in one good, thick volume; we could then be well into the roaring twenties or even have reached the second World War by now.

So, sadly, I have to ask myself if, despite the promises, we will ever see the Morlands of the twenty-first century?

5.0 out of 5 stars continues to enthrall, 9 Nov 2007
cynthia harrod-eagles continues the tale of the Morlands during World War 1. Her characters are real and as I have read the full series they are like family to me. The war scenes are descriptive and harrowing and the twists in the story never fail to amaze. Very readable either on its own or as part of the series. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Measure of Days Book Review, 2 Feb 2009
This is the latest in the Cynthia Harrod Eagles Morland Dynasty series. I have been reading this series for the past 15 years and look forward to the next chapter each year. Although, the story is fictional the historical facts are all accurate and the writing captures the imagination of the reader, leaving you always wanting to know what will happen next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really annoyed to have finished it!, 13 April 2009
K. Waugh "kate28" (UK) - See all my reviews
Just finished 'The Measure of Days' - I am huge fan of the Morland series, they are my favourite books ever, and this one didn't disappoint. Unfortunately, I can't physically manage hardbacks so will have to wait for the next one to come out in paperback, which is really annoying. My only slight moan is that there was a lot of battle detail, which I found a bit irritating, as I know some other readers have. I am very interested in the history, but I think Ms Harrod-Eagles could ease up a bit on the battle formations!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 5 July 2009
Mrs. W. C. Robbins (bristol england) - See all my reviews
cynthia harrod eagles does it again with this book as the morland saga continues.It left me wanting to read the next one in the series immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather slow., 7 April 2011
Some parts of the story seemed a little slow but overall it gave a realistic picture of life during the 1WW.

4.0 out of 5 stars LIKE IT, 18 Feb 2010
S. A. Jones "BOOKAHOLIC" (HAMPSHIRE, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
THE DYNASTY SERIES IS MOSTLY A TOUR DE FORCE, AND I THINK THE AUTHOR REALLY CONVEYS THE LIFE LIVED AT THE VARIOUS TIMES OF HER BOOKS, AND ALSO THERE IS AN INTERESTING RANGE OF CHARACTERS. SHE HAS ACHIEVED A CREDIBLE ACCOUNT OF A FAMILY AND YOU CAN SEE THE INFLUENCES OF THEIR HISTORY AND THE VARIOUS SPLENDID OR APPALLING MEMBERS OF THAT FAMILY, AND THEIR EFFECT ON THE FORTUNES OF THEIR LINE. PERSONALLY I FIND THEM ALL A GREAT READ, IF OF COURSE YOU LIKE HISTORICAL, WELL RESEARCHED, NOVELS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a great series, 12 Sep 2013
I have enjoyed these books immensely . A brief look at family life through the ages. Great reading Great author..

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book, 12 Aug 2013
I have read nearly all the books by Cynthia Harrod Eagles. And she cannot write the Morland Dynasty books quick enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Morland dynasty...best historical series., 2 Mar 2013
My wife absolutely loves the Morland dynasty series. She began way back at number one and has followed CHE throughout. She assures me that this is an excellent volume in keeping with the brilliance of the series as a whole. Highly recommended.

The Measure Of Days: The Morland Dynasty, Book 30
The Measure Of Days: The Morland Dynasty, Book 30 by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (Paperback - 6 Nov 2008)