5.0 out of 5 stars I felt I had been robbed
I have been robbed, was my first impression as I started to listen to this book. I had expected a spine chilling tale but instead got the Isle of Dogs. But soon my initial thoughts were left behind as I chuckled my way through this romp. Listening to the book on New Year's Day and having just seen a traditional British pantomime I could not help but think that here was...
Published on 2 Jan 2002 by tdbhr@hotmail.com

1.0 out of 5 stars Cornwell's really lost the plot this time
I always buy my favourite authors' latest books in hardback as I can't wait for the paperback to emerge. How I wish I hadn't bothered with this one. If you had a zero star or even a minus star option, I would have gone for it!
Published on 7 Dec 2001 by Tatiana Beaverhausen

1.0 out of 5 stars Cornwell's really lost the plot this time, 7 Dec 2001
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
I think Ms. Cornwell has been struggling with the Scarpetta series of late - the increasingly tedious obsession with lesbianism combined with far too much technical detail about helicopters and the many conspiracy theories are beginning to irritate. Clearly the Andy Brazil series is intended to be a lighter read - Hornet's Nest was good, Southern Cross not bad but this one stinks. It's pure farce and completely unbelievable - the nadir of the narrative was when she introduces crabs and trout that think for themselves. The virtually blind governor and the backward islanders are a complete insult to the reader.
Kathy Reichs has been breathing down her neck for quite some time - Cornwell will find her crown snatched away if she continues to write such utter tosh. Given that she must have made herself a small fortune with her previous books, I truly resent the money I spent on this one...
Do yourself a big favour - don't bother with this one. Wait until the paperback if you really must, or borrow it from the library. Sort it out Patricia - this is not your style and we're not that stupid!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 23 Oct 2001
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
I kept reading hoping that it would get better, but was disappointed. Although described as a 'comic romp', I must be having a sense of humour failure - the only funny bits were when it got so awful, you had to laugh.
A tenuous and tedious plot coupled with unbelievable characters (satire or not). Talking crabs and typing dogs aside, there was also a bizarre cameo appearance from Kay Scarpetta who you couldn't help but hope would introduce a reality check. The only thing I could think that cover's promise of 'a Swiftian eye for the absurd' was referring to was the number or readers who will keep reading in the vain hope that they will discover the point of it (or indeed the plot).
I read both Hornet's Nest and Southern Cross and didn't think were great (or at least not as good as the Scarpetta books), but was prepared to see if the characters would develop. With Isle of Dogs, I am still puzzling about how it managed to get to publication - did nobody at her publishers have the courage to say 'this really doesn't work'?
Here's hoping that Cornwell returns to form soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bitterly dissappointing from such a normally great Author, 15 Oct 2001
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
I have loved every Patricia Cornwall book- until Isle of Dogs.
I couldn't make up my mind whether the Author was making fun of her Readers, or was really losing her way. Talking Crabs and Trout and and pieces of metal being thrown out of the Sea. Enough, please.
My simple view is that the Author must still have plenty of 'serious' books to write and I will read the next one before deciding whether or not to desert and move to other Authors.
Bitterly diss appointing!!

1.0 out of 5 stars A most aptly-named book--it is one for the dogs., 6 Dec 2001
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
Patricia Cornwell has proven without a doubt that without Dr Kay Scarpetta, the book isn't worth the time, nor the money. She missed with "Southern Cross" and "Hornet's Nest", and this time, has missed the boat, overshot the island, and sunk,along with her helicopter hobby, hopefully without a trace. The North American cover states "With a Swiftian eye for the absurd...": there is nothing satirical or Swiftian here, but there is a huge amount of absurdity. It's actually a "no-star" rating, but the window wouldn't go that low.

1.0 out of 5 stars Particia Cornwell finally goes to the dogs, 29 Nov 2001
Dayna Goltz (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
I've been getting more and more dissatisfied with Ms Cornwell for the past couple of years. Her attempts at purple prose in the Scarpetta novels have been intrusive and lame, and the Hammer novels have always been disappointing to me.
She was at her best in the first two Scarpetta novels, and has been going downhill ever since, but with Isle of Dogs she hits a low point. This is simply the worst book I have read in over a decade.
Isle of Dogs only really comes to life in the one of two passages where she describes a crime. Suddenly the writing becomes taught, and the atmosphere tense. You get the sense this woman can actually write - and a pang as you remember the well worked plots and tidy prose of the first few books she wrote. But that sense quickly dissolves as you are foced through page after page of childish and purile nonsense.
Her editor should have thrown this back at her: it reads as if it were written by a 14 year old. Maybe it was. Maybe her contract called for another manuscript and she didn't have the time or the inclination to write a new book so she dragged up some juvenilia, did a bit of re-writing, and foisted this monstrosity on an unsuspecting public.
Please do not waste your money on this book, it is indescribably bad, although it has finally cured me of buying Ms Cornwell's books: it was a hard-to-kill habit, but Isle of Dogs finished it off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 22 Oct 2001
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
I've read every one of Ms Cornwell's books to date, and have bought the last half dozen in hardback because I couldn't wait for the paperbacks.
I wish I hadn't bothered with this one.
The plot is not "gripping" it's convoluted and unbelievable.
The characters are not "great", most of them are cardboard grotesques who we just don't care about - even the heroes from her previous books wouldn't last 5 minutes in the real world.
The humour is not "ironic" it seems to be mostly one misunderstanding after another, the same joke again and again, that and the ludicrous, unfunny antics of the grotesques.
I hope that "Scarpetta 12" is back on the rails.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cornwell's Own Post Mortem, 4 Sep 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Paperback)
Having been a Cornwell fan for years and eagerly anticipating her next book, I must say this will be the last one I ever purchase.
This is the most contrived story I have ever read and a huge disappointment from one of my previously favorite authors. When I selected the book I realized that it wasn't a Scarpetta novel and was wary - however I trusted Cornwell to deliver and she failed. The plot is difficult to follow, the characters are unremarkable and vague and her attempt at humor fails dismally.
Having always had the fortitude to stick with a book until the end no matter how dismal, I am finding this book very difficult to finish. It is unfathomable to me how she can expect a trout and crabs speaking in a southern dialect in a bucket to be entertaining to any of her regular fans who are used to sharp plots and even sharper characters.
I wonder if this author has become such a commercial success that now she leaves her story writing to a group of hired lackeys in order to pump up her bank accounts.
My disappointment is complete and I shall never read or purchase another Cornwell novel. In my opinion she has "put one over" on her faithful fans, the group which put her where she is today but no longer includes myself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not within a gnat's whisker of her usual brilliance, 31 Oct 2001
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
Patricia Cornwell is one of, if not, my favourite author, I have all her books and have always waited impatiently for new releases. Once in my hands they rarely last more than a day, I can go without food and sleep to get to the usually superb ending. Imagine my disappointment then when I started to read Isle of Dogs - what a load of tosh! Admittedly, I favour the Scarpetta novels, however, I also enjoyed Hornets Nest and Southern Cross. This book does not come within a gnat's whisker of her usual brilliance - the storyline is not compelling, the characters are dull and the dialect of the islanders is incomprehensible, making the novel almost impossible to read. I shall persevere to the end, but it is a measure of my disappointment that I have had the book for almost a week, I'm still eating and sleeping and the novel is yet to be finished. I remain a fan - but cannot see myself ever feeling the same anticipation awaiting the release of the latest Patricia Cornwell ever again.

1.0 out of 5 stars A dog of a book indeed, 19 July 2002
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Paperback)
I have always been a fan of this author and have read all of her previous novels. Unfortunately, if she continues in this vein I have read the last. It is commendable that she tried something different, particularly with Reichs et al improving with every book, but it simply doesn't work. Actually, I'll re-phrase that: it is toe-curlingly awful. The plot is contrived, the characterisation irritating and the humour either very thin or simply absent. The end result is a strained, sad and somewhat desperate effort that can only serve to alienate many of her loyal fans.
I don't know how the publishing industry works, but Cornwell's advisors should have stopped this book from being published. Instead, I suspect that it was cynically decided that it would make money, despite its quality, simply because of the name on the front.
Hopefully this book is just an aberration. Don't touch it with a barge-pole and avoid tainting your view of an otherwise excellent author.

1.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointment!!, 6 Feb 2002
This review is from: Isle Of Dogs (Hardcover)
I love curling up with a Patricia Cornwell book but found this one boring, unimaginative and difficult to get into - so very different from her other novels.
To be honest, I would not recommend this book to anyone - even the most devoted of fans.

Isle Of Dogs
Isle Of Dogs by Patricia Cornwell (Paperback - 6 Jun 2002)
Used & New from: £0.01