4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD READ
I BOUGHT THIS BOOK FOR MY FRIEND WHO HAS READ OTHER BOOKS BY THIS AUTHOR. SHE LIKES THE WAY THE READER IS DRAWN IN TO THE JOURNEY AND EXPERIENCES THEY ENCOUNTER
Published 8 months ago by bub

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read
Published on 18 May 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 18 May 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Slow Coast Home: 5,000 miles around the shores of England and Wales (Paperback)
I eagerly awaited this book, having all Josie Dew's previous cycling books. However, I was disappointed from reading this book to find that Josie does not actually appear to enjoy meeting or cycling with her reading public. To justify a rapid exit from the various people she meets on the grounds that they might turn out to be a mass murderer is simply ridiculous. What a shame she feels this way, given she has inspired so many people to take up long distance cycle touring, myself included. If I ever do see her I shall make a point of not recognising her or wanting to ride alongside!
This book is a bit jaded and repetitive and doesn't have the sparkle of her earlier books. Sounds like Josie needs a long rest from the saddle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment - Stick to trips abroad!, 26 Aug 2011
Frank O'Phile (Derbyshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a fellow cyclist, I have read and thoroughly enjoyed Josie's adventures in some of the more far-flung parts of the world. I was impressed by the way she approached her expeditions with open eyes and an open mind, and painted a wonderful and evocative picture of the places and people she encountered.
Hoewever, writing travel books about places that are new to you is one thing, writing about places that are mundane and familiar to you is altogether more difficult.
It requires you to set aside your pre-conceptions and prejudices, start with a clean slate and a clear head, and try to put yourself into the shoes of someone visiting a place for the first time. Sadly, Josie has shown herself to be incapable of rising to this challenge.
The reader finds uncharacteristic moodiness and introspection, page after page of whingeing about the weather (in contrast to the light-hearted treatment of being caught in a cyclone in Japan in an earlier book), paranoia about the intentions of virtually everyone she met (Mugger? Murderer? Rapist?), and none of the vivid descriptions of the people and places encountered that characterised hear earlier books.
In fact, the overwhelming impression is of an author who doesn't really want to be making this journey, or writing this book. Maybe a contractual obligation very grudgingly fulfilled?
I'd hate to think that people would be deterred from visiting Britain and its wonderful and varied coastline on the strength of this mean-spirited effort. I'd recommend Paul Theroux's "The Kingdom by the Sea" or Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island" for a truer reflection of the country.

1.0 out of 5 stars I threw it in a corner, unfinished., 9 Dec 2008
A. E. Rothery (England) - See all my reviews
Originally a fan of Josie's other books I had read Wind (twice), Strange State, Sun in my Eyes, and Neon Sun, enjoying her experiences even though I had limited knowledge of the far-flung places she travelled through. It was with great eagerness then that I bought Slow Coast, a book finally on ground that I had more experience of. Unfortunately after her many comments regarding four-wheel drives, tin boxes on wheels, and many other (sometimes derogatory) names for other vehicles/motorists on the road, I finally had enough (by page 183 if your reading this Josie) and went to find a book on cycling to read instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 Aug 2004
By A Customer
Having read Wind in my Wheels I was really looking forward to a home based book which just might inspire me to 'get on my bike'.
Unfortunately there was little in the book to inspire. Josie has tried too hard to make a basically unexciting ride around England & Wales seem exciting and funny by padding it out with her vivid, but rather silly, imagination (read about the 'terrorist's bag left on the pavement in the Isle of Wight to see what I mean.) In a further attempt to make the ordinary interesting she gives the impression that Britain is populated by people who are either weird, unpleasant or talk too much.
My advice is don't waste your money or your precious reading time. For real richness in travel literature try Dervla Murphy -superb!!

1.0 out of 5 stars No Coasting, 2 Feb 2005
By A Customer
I found this a very disappointing book.The author seemed to be pre-occupied with other matters, and spending time avoiding her fans and other members of the male fraternity.The book seemed more and more an effort.I didn't enjoy this book at all and would suggest that Josie concentrated in her cycling rather than her writing if this was anything to go by.Its the first of the authors books I have read,so perhaps I am being too critical,but I think it deserved more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Coast and coast, 30 Sep 2012
This is my first "Josie Drew" and I read it because Id just Finished Mike Carter's book, "One Man on a Bike" about his ride round the coasts of England, Wales (and Scotland). A number of reviewers commented that they had read her other books and this one was not a good one to start on.

Id add to that advice that following up Mike Carter with this is not a good idea. The contrasts between the two books are many but Id sum up by saying I didn't want Mike's trip to finish, while Josie could have stayed at home "signing". I'm really sorry her celebrity seems such a burden to her. Perhaps this is why her overseas books are much better? Ill give one a try.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull. Very very dull, 10 Sep 2012
I hadn't read any of Josie Dews books before and downloaded this one onto my kindle prior to setting off to cycle to Australia. I thought it would be at least a little inspirational. However, a Bill Bryson she certainly ain't.An Eric Newby she never will be. It is written like a 4th former writing the standard 'what I did in the summer hols' format. Lots of padding. Lots of unfunny quips. Lots of allusions to how young she looks and how many people she meets who've read about her and admire her.
I think she needs to stick to the peddling and get a good ghostwriter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 April 2011
How can someone who relies on the public to purchase her books be so condescending to the same people. Her treatment of the fan who wished to bike with her her was disgusting. She should be embracing her fans not mocking them.

1.0 out of 5 stars A cyclist who doesn't like people??, 22 May 2011
Mrs. Ann Lewis "pashleypdq" (S Wales) - See all my reviews
Josie's derogatory remarks about the people she met put me off every buying another book of hers. i was really disapointed she came across as egoistic and arrogant. i had enjoyed her other books but i'm afriad she has lost a lot of fans because of this book. If she doesn't like the people she meets on her journey then perhaps its time for her to quit.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD READ, 26 April 2014