5.0 out of 5 stars Sandi Toksvig - Comedienne and fantastic author
Thanks Sandi for writing such a good book. This story is very cleverly written, alternating between a woman's letters to her friend and the narrtive telling the story behind the letters. The writing effortlessly switches from funny to serious and back again, at no point leaving you confused about what's happening in the story.
The serious elements of the story do sit...
Published on 18 July 2002 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts
Published on 15 Mar 2007 by H. M. Kingston

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandi Toksvig - Comedienne and fantastic author, 18 July 2002
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
The serious elements of the story do sit with youfor a while and made me think hard about some of the issues raised (one of the characters, Tom, has strong opinions about what we are doing to our planet).
A fantastic book by a superb comedienne.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flying high, 1 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Hardcover)
What a superb book! The story centres upon two women who were friends at school, then lost touch. Fate reunites the two women, Eve and Inge, and they take up again as if they've never been apart. The only difference is the paths their lives have taken. Inge was an Olympic gold medallist and is now a famous sports personality for the BBC. Eve is married to Adam and they live in Edenford! The story begins with Eve writing to Inge from prison, as she awaits her trial for murdering her daughter's fiance. Many events unfold and even more secrets are unearthed, until finally the full details of the murder are revealed and also the reason for it. Don't think that this is a depressing book, however - it is far from it! The characters' dialogue (especially Eve's) is absolutely hilarious, as are most of the situations surrounding her unfortunate predicament. Sandi Toksvig is able to go from farcical situations to very moving ones. However, for the majority of the book (and I couldn't put it down!) I laughed until the tears literally ran down my cheeks. A wonderful read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad Sandi moved out of No 74, 29 Nov 2002
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
I had such sympathy for the main character of this book. I found myself immersed in her mind and I am not a middle-class, middle-England, middle-aged housewife. Some might argue that the central roles were cliched and under-developed and I agree that perhaps some of them were, but Eve was both Everywoman and onewoman bound into a resonating child-like heroine. I cried heaps when Kate was gone and her central performance against the vicar was like everything I ever wanted to say to religious bigots be they Christian or otherwise. The themes explored in the book are not new but it's in Sandi Togsvig's telling that makes the book so rich. Thanks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 15 Mar 2007
H. M. Kingston "gooner" (Worksop, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
Yes, there were chuckles and yes, some of it was sad and some of the observation was spot on. But, what puzzled me was that here was a woman (Eve)only 46 but living a lifestyle reminiscent of the 50s type housewife whereas this woman would have been born in 1960 and she would have acted, spoken and thought and even dressed quite differently, especially vis-a-vis her homelife and husband. OK, this isn't supposed to be a totally realistic novel (I presume)but this aspect did spoil it for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent except time period, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
I listened to this on a library audiobook. It was the best audiobook I've listened to for a long time, largely helped by the fact that the author narrated it, brilliantly.
My only disappointment was that the main character of the book as another reviewer said seems set in another era.
I'm a 46 year old heterosexual yet Eve's subservient housewife was completely alien to me.
Why did she never argue with her husband or suggest a divorce? Why did they not have a joint bank account? Why did Eve go on about having no money when she had just been left 1/3 of a house? I did feel that Sandi had based the character of Eve on a few old Fay Weldon books, rather than a modern woman in her 40s.
The village homophobia also seemed very out of era. My 14 year old son listened to much of the book with me and said "but mum no-one these days is prejudiced against homosexuals, it's illegal and stupid". OK that was naive and underestimating the discrimination out there, but Sandi is a prominent lesbian on the BBC, so I don't see why Inga should fail to be employable because she is a lesbian.
Still a good story though, you just have to pretend it was set over 50 years ago, and very enjoyable to listen to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasantly surprised, 24 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
Having passed over this book on a couple of previous occasions, largely because I expected it to be about lesbians, I finally decided to read it and am extremely glad that I did.
I was also initially disappointed to find that it was partly written in letter form, but after reading the first letter and the first non-letter chapter, I forgot all about that.
The book is funny and sad at the same time. Eve is clearly not stupid, but I did feel that some of the things she said and thought were too clever for her, and more the author's own level. This didn't spoil it for me, though and I'll certain read more of the author's work in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF LOW FLYING AIRCRAFT - YOU`LL BE HOOKED!, 29 Dec 2007
M. Drake - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
Sandi triumphs again - she sets herself a difficult task asking us to engage and symphathise with Eve who is in prison for murder - she succeeds brilliantly. Kate appears to have everything, but has been living a lie for years - her dissection of religious bigotry is a highlight of the book. The story gradually gathers pace until by the end it is moving with the speed of an expess train - a comic masterpiece!

Mick Drake author of the comic novel All`s Well at Wellwithoute

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
Disappointed with the condition of this book .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gift, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
I bought this for my missus as a gift, she said she does not normally read that sort of book but she raved about it and wants to read more from same author

3.0 out of 5 stars Flying Under Bridges, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Flying Under Bridges (Paperback)
Had this book given to me and it was ok. It is not a book I would recommend to other people as the story would not be one I would remember.

Story line however is quite witty.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Flying Under Bridges
Flying Under Bridges by Sandi Toksvig (Paperback - 15 Nov 2001)