5.0 out of 5 stars This book makes sense of family and belonging, 25 Jan 2000
I read about this book and could relate to it straight away. My own family circumstances though different were so alike. I have watched my mother die of cancer, I too 'nursed and cared' The compassion and understanding is evident in his use of words. I laughed aloud and cried aloud. What an exceptional story. Thank you Campbell Armstrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching work of astonishing honesty, courage and insight., 20 Feb 2000
Jeff Durstewitz (Saratoga Springs, NY) - See all my reviews
A mystery writer by trade, Campbell Armstrong takes us into the deepest mysteries of the human heart with this fearless look into his own failings as a husband and father and into the lives of two extraordinary women, his terminally ill ex-wife and her long-lost daughter.
It's hard to know what to praise most about this book - its searing candor, its profound, warts-and-all humanity or its affecting portrait of one of the "little people" who generally go to their graves unheralded despite their great impact on the lives of others. People magazine would do better to fill its pages with unknowns like the subjects of this book.
How can one life's sad and wretched end hold such transforming power? Read All That Really Matters to find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly honest- unputdownable, 18 Mar 2002
This review is from: All That Really Matters (Paperback)
This is the only book that I have ever read that I have had to put down because Its so sad in parts and the tears prevented me from seeing the page. but the story is fantastically written. I am sorry that I am only reading the books from this author now!!! Buy it and see for yourself!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reality check - it does really matter, 29 Dec 2003
isis 1958 (Pendle) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: All That Really Matters (Paperback)
I came to this book after struggling to get through James Patterson's hideous re-titled "See How They Run". This book is everything the latter was not - well written, moving and, above all, a real reality check.
In essence, it's Campbell's auto biography, but it's not really a chronology. Instead, it flits back and forth between times/periods of his life and focuses on his relationships with his women, his children and himself. Within that framework, the main emphasis is on his first wife and her battle with cancer.
Told with sensitivity, grace and pathos, this is a deeply moving book. As the story could, and probably does, apply to many of us it's also a wake up call to what really matters in life - our family and our friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 6 Mar 2000
By A Customer
I thought this book was so well written. I have always loved Camby's works. He startled me with "Jig" 10 years ago, and continues to work wonders with the computer screen. For everyone out there who is going through a end of life struggle. Then this book is for you. So thoughtful, I almost forgot about my next project and imbedded alien probe.

5.0 out of 5 stars couldnt put the book down, 6 Feb 2000
By A Customer
All that really matters is a very down to earth book. Campbell Armstrong does a great job in relaying the story and adding just the right touches of humor and sensitivity. I couldnt put this book down once I started. I always wanted to know what happened next. I hope Campbell continues writing books that are sensitive as this is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Using it in my family relations class at Cambridge., 25 Jan 2000
By A Customer
As a professor in humanities and sub-cult pop family units I must say that this novel needs to be studied for its in depth analysis into the modern family structure. But with all that aside, I will be studying this book with my Grad students next fall. Brilliant and very literate. Sublte yet charming. Profound and revealling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving and memorable., 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: All That Really Matters (Paperback)
I read about this book many years ago in a review or article about the author in the Mail On Sunday when this book was newly released. This resulted in me buying the book and, years later, it is still a book which has had lasting impact on me. Campbell used to be married to Eileen and, after their divorce, they stay friendly. Eileen contacts Campbell to let him know that she has cancer and it is terminal. At the same time, a woman named Barbara is trying to trace her birth mother, she has also been diagnosed with cancer. Barbara is Eileen's child who she reluctantly had to give up for adoption when she was only seventeen. This is such a sad tale, it really tugs at your heartstrings, yet how wonderful these two people found each other before the cancer ended everything. Campbell Armstrong tells their story in a very sensitive and moving way. A wonderful, wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waaaahhhh!!!!, 1 Aug 2011
This review is from: All That Really Matters (Paperback)
I read this book quite a few years ago. Like the other reviewers, I couldn't put it down. I remember that I ended up reading the last few pages under the covers one morning - weeping! And I'm not a morning person, so that says something! I've lost the book and have just tracked down a copy for a friend whose half-sister (that the family didn't know existed) found them just before their mother died - so they were reunited just before the end. I'll give it to her with a box of Kleenex!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story of love, 24 Jan 2000
mcduffy@aol.com (Scotland, Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This is quite unlike Armstrong's previous works (Jig,Mambo) he is treading into new waters that he is quite adept in. Keen and brilliant prose and easily engaging. I loved this book from the very start. He takes a sad subject of cancer and turns into an inspiring story of hope and love.

All That Really Matters
All That Really Matters by Campbell Armstrong (Paperback - 1 Mar 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01