on 19 September 2001
Josie Dew takes us on another whirlwind ride through the land of the rising sun only to find that her journey through the "rainy rainy-free land" leads to very wet socks! The sequel to "A Ride in the Neon Sun" is as funny and insightful as all her two-wheeled adventures but her writing just gets better with every book. More laughs per page than Bill Bryson I can't wait for the next installment of her world travels. I'd love to see the land of Oz given the Josie Dew treatment! A must for Josie fans everywhere.
on 20 August 2002
josie dew has proved herself witty, observant and full of fun in this travel book. she takes herself around Japan on her bicycle, meeting all sorts of people and takes an interesting view of their life.
enjoyable read throughout
on 15 February 2010
This is the third book I have read by this author, and I enjoyed this one the most so far.

I found her descriptions of the Japanese people and cities interesting and informative as well as funny at times, and now feel keen to visit the country for myself.

Josie Dew has an amusing style of writing, and I found myself laughing aloud quite often while reading this book. I would recommed this book to anyone who enjoys travel tales.

I look forward to reading another of her books soon!
on 13 March 2016
I have been planning on returning to Japan for some time now, and lately that has been coalescing into a plan to potentially go there and cycle-tour. So a book about someone cycle-touring around Japan, how could I say no?

Oh dear. This book is dire. Really dire. Not the content per se (though much of it is tosh, of the recycled ‘ooh, how funny are those crazy Japanese’ you get from many foreign visitors to Japan) but the writing style. It is so twee, contrived, and annoying. For example, before we even get close to Japan, we get pages of twaddle about Dew’s knee problems. And it is written in the following style:
‘To kneecap it all my creaky knee was not so much playing up as sailing straight on off up the creek. Forced to dismount, I found myself floating, or, rather, limping around utterly lost without my wheels.’
Yes, pages of this guff. I am not a fan of Bill Bryson’s travel writing, but he comes across as an equal to Nabakov or Tolstoy compared to Dew.
There is some great travel writing out there about Japan. There is some great travel writing out there about cycling. There are probably some great guides out there to cycling in Japan. This book in no way makes it into any of those groups. Avoid it.
(from my blog [...])
on 20 August 2013
Having read Josie Dew's previous book on Japan (A ride in the Neon Sun) which I couldn't put down, I was very glad to find she had written a second book! It's just as heart warming and entertaining as the first one. I highly recommend it.
on 16 September 2014
arrived safely and in good order.