Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 June 2013
I always hesitate to give a book 5 stars, but could not find any reason to award fewer!. I rank this alongside "Morbid Taste for Bones" and "One Corpse too many", both of which are 5 star reads.
As usual with the Cadfael series one enjoys the historical context and the life of the abbey with its many colourful characters; the relationship between Hugh and Cadfael is delightful The plot is multi-stranded and believable and leads to an elegant and satisfying conclusion.
But the book is so much more than the solving of a complex puzzle. Deep themes are addressed, including: faith; healing; justice; revenge; penitence; mercy and redemption.
I first read the book some 10 years ago and am writing following my second reading; I shall put the book by and look forward to revisiting it in another 10 years!
on 6 November 2013
There is always something intriguing about the Brother Cadfael stories. This one kept me guessing until a few pages from the end. Unusually, the murder has taken place far from Shrewsbury, in Winchester, rather than on Cadfael's own patch. The story is based around the celebrations of the feast of St Winifred, whose bones were generally believed to have been transferred to Shrewsbury Abbey. A motley collection of pilgrims arrive to share in the celebration, and a miracle occurs. Is one of the visitors a murderer?
Brother Cadfael and Hugh Berenger are again joined by Olivier de Bretagne, a character from an earlier story, the son of a Syrian widow and a crusader, but it is Cadfael who plays the central role in preventing further bloodshed.
I love these books. Well written, atmospheric, ideal for bedtime reading, they have enabled me to imagine life long before modern media based ease of communication, when the sending of a messenger, riding hard, was the way news was spread. A token from a bishop could spell protection for the traveller. One of the pilgrims carries such a ring, but for what true purpose?
Read this exciting story and find out.
It is A.D. 1141. A year that brings a tide of pilgrims to the Abbey.

This is the tenth mystery in the series. You may want to start from the first to let the interacting mysteries reveal themselves in chronological order. This is the second one for me after "The Morbid Taste for Bones." I do have to warn you that the synopsis to "A Morbid Taste for Bones" and "Virgin in the Ice" is played out again somewhat in the first two chapters of this book.

What can not be portrayed in the short Cadfael movies and would make marvelous reading on its own is the inter action between the forces and reasons behind the vacillating positions of Empress Maud and King Stephen. This is also a crucial part of the story; as the loyalties and logistics play a major part in the mystery and people's lives.

I will not compare and contrast the people in the story or the differences in the film adaptation as the fun is finding out for your self, all the actions and interaction of people. I will say that none of this would have been possible with out the grace of St. Winifred.

What cannot be portrayed in the short Cadfael movies and would make marvelous reading on its own is the inter action between the forces and reasons behind the vacillating positions of Empress Maud and King Stephen. This is also a crucial part of the story; as the loyalties and logistics play a major part in the mystery and people's lives.

I will not compare and contrast the people in the story or the differences in the film adaptation as the fun is finding out for yourself, all the actions and interaction of people. I will say that none of this would have been possible without the grace of St. Winifred.
on 6 November 2014
I am delighted that Ellis Peters Cadfael series has reached Kindle. I've bought the lot and cleared my bookshelves of the paper books, as I much prefer having my library on Kindle and space in my rooms. I enjoy these historical mysteries and like the character of the old monk, Cadfael, who has seen much of the world and voluntarily left if behind. It makes him much a more humane character. They express the toughness and hardship of the age without gratuitous violence.
on 16 February 2014
It was a great read could not put it down as it draws you back in time how the use of every day plants were used for healing
on 2 August 2014
This most definitely should have been read by a man. I love this book AND THE READER WRECKED IT.
on 28 October 2014
I ordered this book on Kindle, because my paperback copy had disappeared.
This has long been one of those books I keep for when I need cheering up. I think Ellis Peters is very good on human relationships, and she writes about an interesting period in English history. It helps that I have visited Shrewsbury, and Cadfael's Chyrch.
on 8 June 2011
This was bought for my mother, she loves Ellis Peters and was very pleased to get a new copy of an author that has been publishing for a while and she says she enjoyed this particular title. Ellis Peters is for people looking for well written murder mysteries set in the Middle Ages.
It is A.D. 1141. A year that brings a tide of pilgrims to the Abbey.