4.0 out of 5 stars Peter White, funny and honest, 25 Jun 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: See It My Way (Paperback)
I have listened to Peter White often on the radio and always found him the consumate professional. To read his story has made me realise what a nice man he seems to be. The description of his schooling sounds positively dickension,but through it all his sense of humour shines through. I wish he had recorded it in audiobook format as my mother who is visually handicapped (she says blind) would love to hear it. The story about the "LOst Guide Dog" is a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars What an eye opener !, 29 Jun 2001
Keith Vinycomb (Sunny Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: See it My Way (Hardcover)
I bought Peter's book the moment I had heard an extract from it on the radio. I read very few books but I have read this one, which says a great deal. He has had (and I very much hope is still having )a really good life despite or indeed because of his situation. I was going to say handicap but he probably does not see it that way, remember we have to see it HIS way. How the hell he enjoyed playing cricket and all the other things he got up to beats me. I also went to private schools which were actually surprisingly similar to his and the antics that he got up makes me feel a kind of kindship with him. I have never met Peter but have heard him many times on the Radio and admire his forward no nonsense critisms particuarly of those in "Authority" who claim to be "Expert" in their fields. I admire the retelling of such funny and sometimes sad recollections that only he really has the balls to write about. Keep it up Peter, I am waiting for the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent view of the world as a blind man sees it., 5 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: See it My Way (Hardcover)
See It My Way by Peter White
Peter White's parents were told the odds of a second child being born blind were a chance in a million. "I've always been indebted to the arrogance of the medical profession," says White, the million to one BBC disability correspondent whose autobiography, See It My Way was published last week by Little Brown. This starkly observed, honest and in places hilarious memoir pulls the reader into White's world where his parents saw him and his brother "as children who happened to be blind rather than blind people who happened to be children". In contrast the state insisted that they go to what can only be described as a Dickensian workhouse of a school, "Where the abiding memory is a seemingly endless cycle of Dettol and vomit, vomit and Dettol . . .", White recalls. Stories of the pranks by blind children on some of the teachers break the ice of the grimness of his school days: "And if he strayed from the edges of the room an even crueller fate awaited him. As he moved uncertainly between the desks we would wait for him to pause, hovering above some hapless dunce, and then the desks around him would be gradually and silently edged in his direction. Only when he had finished some totally obscure point and attempted to move away would he discover that he had been corralled, unable to budge in any direction." After two failed attempts at a university education he eventually realised he didn't need, dragged White into a funk that was finally lifted after door-stepping the newly opened Radio Solent for a reporter's job. Recollections of interviews with the stars who arrived at Southampton docks, together with his tentative live pub quiz radio shows bring the humour back to this tale. White doesn't pull any punches as his story eventually takes him to the BBC. His irreverence towards blind organisations, who he says didn't listen to their customers is refreshing. We, the sighted, couldn't possibly make the politically incorrect remark: "Their officials seemed rather less conscious of the fact that the organisations furnished them with safe jobs, reasonable salaries, enormous public approval and far less accountability than would be demanded in business, and that if it weren't for the existence of blind people they would be out of a job." See It My Way has a rhythm and pace that is exceptional from a first time author who has made a smooth transition from broadcasting to the written word. The record of the path he took to the media is a fascinating read. I look forward to more from Peter White.
Fred Brown
fbrown@fbrown.co.uk

See It My Way
See It My Way by Peter White (Paperback - 2 Mar 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01