5.0 out of 5 stars mysterious death, 18 Oct 2004
This review is from: Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live (Paperback)
Whether you are scared of death or are loosing somebody close to you, this books will help you going through that wonderful adventure which is life. This book is all about life and even if you have only few weeks to live there is still so much you can do to enjoy life. Life is precious and should be enjoyed by everyone fully. After reading this I felt more in touch with people around me, I saw things differently. It has been quite a shock to read through and a wonderful eye opener. I recommand it to any body keen on self-development, any body that is not enjoying life fully because at the back of their head there is a fear of death, and finally to everyone who is scared to loose a close person.

5.0 out of 5 stars empowering commentary on being with dying people at the end, 17 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live (Paperback)
I have just spent a week being with my 66 year old mother in the last stages of her life (I virtually lived in her hospital room with my 2 brothers 24 hours a day). It was the most moving, powerful and spiritual experience I have ever had - more amazing than childbirth in a way - because my love for my mother conquered my fear through the dying process. Afterwards I wanted to find out about how it was for others, to make sense of this incredible time. I found this book to be a wonderful companion and commentary on this process (and there's virtually nothing like this book around except from author Elizabeth Kubler Ross which to me didn't feel so in tune). Intimate Death is beautifully written and completely true to my own experience and tells the true story of the chief psychologist, Marie Hennezel, in a ground breaking palliative care unit in Paris and her experiences in enabling and loving dying people. Communication with the dying is unique and totally real not like the fabrication of ordinary life and so it is beautiful and transcendent. Going through this process in a good way (even though obviously it's also incredibly painful at times for the living) and being part of a good death will help me firstly get over the death of someone I adored but also, I feel, will make the rest of my life have much more meaning than if I had run away because of my fear. I only wish I had had the courage to read this before my mum died because it would have helped me do an even better job in supporting her in her last days but I am very glad I have read it now. Brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional tear jerker but brilliantly written!, 4 Mar 2010
This review is from: Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live (Paperback)
I am training as a music therapist and this book was recommended to me by someone who works in palliative/hospice care. I found myself near tears several times at the emotional content - death and dying are not easy subjects to talk about but Marie does so with such grace and ease. A deep little book and helpful for challenging ones view about death.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 24 Aug 2011
P. Hughes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live (Paperback)
I must say that I'm only 50 pages into this book and I can already say, with complete confidence, that it's one of the most achingly beautiful things I've ever read. Anybody going through the pain of seeing a loved one in decline, anybody afraid of their own mortality and anybody interested in the human condition ought to read this book. Follow this up with Yalom's books on the same topic "Staring at the Sun," for example, and you'll begin to see how death provides a frame for life. A kiss goodbye is the most beautiful of all. Kiss each day as if it were the last and you'll have lived the lesson of this book. Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars ..and intimate life, 11 Oct 2011
This review is from: Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live (Paperback)
If we can accept that death and life are interdependent and inextricable, then this is a book about life as much as it is a book about death. Or rather, it is a book about living, as much as it is a book about dying. It is very demanding, which is why it is so rewarding. I wonder how people come to it? It might be that some people might find it, in an immediate sense, irrelevant, or unpleasant/gruelling to read, if they do not need it. I hope people come to it when they need it - which may or may not be because someone close to them is terminally ill.

We all chuck extravagant praises around when we find a really enjoyable or useful book. But this is a book beyond praise. It is a revalation and an initiation. I feel deeply grateful to its author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book for everyone, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live (Paperback)
The book helps the reader to understand the process of death, and that will help you live more, the title says it all. Read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving and honest accounts of the reality of dying and what it can teach us, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live (Paperback)
I wasn't sure what to expect when I was recommended the book, but from the moment I picked it up I could not put it down.
The book describes an array of deaths experienced by the real people who we get to know through De Hennezel's touching and intuitive relationships with each person. It is at hard not to be moved to tears at times by the descriptions of those facing death. De Hennezels account of each person’s passing is not clogged with sentiment and gives the reader real understanding of how we can help people have a good death, merely by the way we interact and care for them at the end of life. This book has also helped me understand just what those dying can actually give to us the living and how we should see being with those nearing the end of their lives as a real privilege. Since reading the book I have been reminded how I should not take my life and heath for granted. With our time on this planet being very short I intended to live life to its fullest - and there are not many books out there that can do that.

Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live
Intimate Death: How The Dying Teach Us To Live by Marie De Hennezel (Paperback - 14 May 1998)
Used & New from: 11.00