5.0 out of 5 stars Hornet's Nest...A Real Buzz!
Published on 23 May 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmm....
I borrowed this book from my sister, and I hate to say that by the time I had finished it I was left wondering ehy I had bothered.
The characters are unbelievably cliched and so un-engrossing that I really couldn't care less what happened to them.
Published on 22 Feb 2002 by stephen_tyler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmm...., 22 Feb 2002
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
This is especially true of the two main characters who appear to have mild cases of schizophrenia. This is evident in their constant mood swings and sudden outburts against each other.
I assume that Cornwell writes for a female audience(this is the only reason I can think of why Cosmopolitan would rate this so highly), so this might be the root of my disliking. However, this doesn't excuse such a run-of-the-mill, stereotype-laden, self-indulgent piece of work
Sorry if you're a fan of Ms. Cornwell's, but I really don't rate her!

1.0 out of 5 stars what went wrong?, 22 Oct 2002
Lyndsey Knight-O'Brien (leicester uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
I have been an avid fan of Patricia Cornwell for some time now, particularly of her Kay Scarpetta series.Perhaps this is my downfall or is it just that Patricia Cornwell has lost her touch?
The Hornets Nest was such a struggle from the beginning. More characters and complicated personalities than I need to mention, including a cat that seems set on saving himself as well as his owner, perhaps the star of the show?
Sorry, but I found this story to have no solid plot or realistic characters, in contrast to the Scarpetta novels which are oozing with facts and attention to detail, so I ask again, where did it all go wrong? Is this the kind of rubbish i am expected to read if I pick up Southern Cross?

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK WAS DOA..., 10 Nov 2002
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
I have read a number of other Patricia Cornwell books, from her Dr. Kay Scarpetta series. While they have all varied in quality, they usually range from good to excellent. That is why this book was a complete shock, as it is one of the worst books that I have read in a long time.
Readers beware. This book was DOA. Do not spend one cent on this turkey.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't I give this no stars?, 20 Jan 2000
What more can I add to what others have said? This book has to be one of the worst I have read in a long time. The plot is laughable (particularly the bit about the cat!), the dialog is false and the characters are totally unsympathetic. I love the Kay Scarpetta books, and have real trouble believing this one is by the same author. Are there two Patricia Cornwells? If you want a tip - don't waste either your money or your time on this one (unless you're having trouble getting to sleep at night, that is...)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Patricia Cornwell's best book, 27 April 2001
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
I have read all of the Kay Scarpetta books and loved every one. I had high expectations of this book but was a bit disappointed. I gave up twice, but the third time I managed to get past the first few chapters. This book takes a while to get into, but it was worth it in the end, and became compelling reading. It also is quite humorous, not something you could say about her other books, I'm not sure about Niles the cat telling some of the story though!

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK WAS DOA..., 19 Jan 2003
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Hardcover)
This book is not a Dr. Kay Scarpetta series book. Instead, it is a police procedural that focuses on three individuals: Charlotte's stalwart Police Chief Judy Hammer, her drop dead gorgeous Deputy Chief Virginia West, and Andy Brazil, an intrepid, young news reporter. Unfortunately, while the premise may have been inspired, the book fails in its execution, with characters that never quite work, relationships that are far fetched or never quite gel, a plot that lacks focus and fails to capture the reader's imagination, as well as an excess of mediocre writing in need of serious editing...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Sep 2006
Net (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
As a big fan of Cornwell's other work I was disappointed and somewhat bemused by this book. It was just...strange. It didn't read well, the characters all seemed to have personality problems and the serial killings were somewhat sidelined by this. The ending was rushed and finding out who committed the murders felt like an afterthought. All in all it was a curious departure from her usual gripping thrillers.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT Kay Scarpetta - either in character or quality, 18 Jan 1999
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
Please Ms. Cornwell, Who ever told you that you can write male characters. I have to start by admitting that I love the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell, and so I really wanted this book to work for me. In the end, it was a monumental disappointment. The characters are flat, the dialogue is sophomoric and the plotting is untidy to say the least. And those are just the good points. If this is your first Patricia Cornwell, then do yourself a favour and stick to the Kay Scarpetta series - you will not be sorry. But please Ms Cornwell, not again.....

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 May 2000
Darren Fletcher (Peterborough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
I finished it because there are only about 2 books I've ever not finished, but how dull is this book?
The characters have no redeeming features and the plot meanders. A serial killer is on the loose (but we know who it is about half way) yet everything but the murder is centred on.
I bought Southern Cross, the sequel, at the same time. I don't think I'll read it just yet.
Don't waste your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hornet's Nest...A Real Buzz!, 23 May 2000
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
Having read all of the Scarpetta series and thoroughly enjoyed them I was concerned that this new series would not live up to the high standards Cornwell had set herself. I needn't have worried. The plot was excellent with just the right combination of fast moving action and careful character examination. The characters are believable and I really felt that I could relate to them and their feelings. I knew this book was good when I found myself sitting up till the early hours of the morning screaming at the pages as if Andy Brazil or Virginia West could hear me. The book is very different to Cornwell's earlier novels and, for that reason, may not be to everyone's taste but I loved it and can't wait to read Southern Cross, the sequel. Hornet's Nest has given me a real taste for Cornwell's new characters, who are a lot less sombre than her original creations and in my opinion a lot more fun. I can definitely see why this novel is an international bestseller and I recommend it to all.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil)
Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) by Patricia Cornwell (Paperback - 12 Feb 1998)
7.99