5.0 out of 5 stars Hornet's Nest...A Real Buzz!
Having read all of the Scarpetta series and thoroughly enjoyed them I was concerned that this new series would not live up to the high standards Cornwell had set herself. I needn't have worried. The plot was excellent with just the right combination of fast moving action and careful character examination. The characters are believable and I really felt that I could...
Published on 23 May 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmm....
I borrowed this book from my sister, and I hate to say that by the time I had finished it I was left wondering ehy I had bothered.
The characters are unbelievably cliched and so un-engrossing that I really couldn't care less what happened to them.
Published on 22 Feb 2002 by stephen_tyler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars hmmmmm...., 22 Feb 2002
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
This is especially true of the two main characters who appear to have mild cases of schizophrenia. This is evident in their constant mood swings and sudden outburts against each other.
I assume that Cornwell writes for a female audience(this is the only reason I can think of why Cosmopolitan would rate this so highly), so this might be the root of my disliking. However, this doesn't excuse such a run-of-the-mill, stereotype-laden, self-indulgent piece of work
Sorry if you're a fan of Ms. Cornwell's, but I really don't rate her!

1.0 out of 5 stars what went wrong?, 22 Oct 2002
Lyndsey Knight-O'Brien (leicester uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
I have been an avid fan of Patricia Cornwell for some time now, particularly of her Kay Scarpetta series.Perhaps this is my downfall or is it just that Patricia Cornwell has lost her touch?
The Hornets Nest was such a struggle from the beginning. More characters and complicated personalities than I need to mention, including a cat that seems set on saving himself as well as his owner, perhaps the star of the show?
Sorry, but I found this story to have no solid plot or realistic characters, in contrast to the Scarpetta novels which are oozing with facts and attention to detail, so I ask again, where did it all go wrong? Is this the kind of rubbish i am expected to read if I pick up Southern Cross?

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK WAS DOA..., 10 Nov 2002
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
I have read a number of other Patricia Cornwell books, from her Dr. Kay Scarpetta series. While they have all varied in quality, they usually range from good to excellent. That is why this book was a complete shock, as it is one of the worst books that I have read in a long time.
Readers beware. This book was DOA. Do not spend one cent on this turkey.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Sep 2006
Net (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
As a big fan of Cornwell's other work I was disappointed and somewhat bemused by this book. It was just...strange. It didn't read well, the characters all seemed to have personality problems and the serial killings were somewhat sidelined by this. The ending was rushed and finding out who committed the murders felt like an afterthought. All in all it was a curious departure from her usual gripping thrillers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Patricia Cornwell's best book, 27 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
I have read all of the Kay Scarpetta books and loved every one. I had high expectations of this book but was a bit disappointed. I gave up twice, but the third time I managed to get past the first few chapters. This book takes a while to get into, but it was worth it in the end, and became compelling reading. It also is quite humorous, not something you could say about her other books, I'm not sure about Niles the cat telling some of the story though!

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't I give this no stars?, 20 Jan 2000
What more can I add to what others have said? This book has to be one of the worst I have read in a long time. The plot is laughable (particularly the bit about the cat!), the dialog is false and the characters are totally unsympathetic. I love the Kay Scarpetta books, and have real trouble believing this one is by the same author. Are there two Patricia Cornwells? If you want a tip - don't waste either your money or your time on this one (unless you're having trouble getting to sleep at night, that is...)

1.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK WAS DOA..., 19 Jan 2003
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Hardcover)
This book is not a Dr. Kay Scarpetta series book. Instead, it is a police procedural that focuses on three individuals: Charlotte's stalwart Police Chief Judy Hammer, her drop dead gorgeous Deputy Chief Virginia West, and Andy Brazil, an intrepid, young news reporter. Unfortunately, while the premise may have been inspired, the book fails in its execution, with characters that never quite work, relationships that are far fetched or never quite gel, a plot that lacks focus and fails to capture the reader's imagination, as well as an excess of mediocre writing in need of serious editing...

3.0 out of 5 stars Was Alright, 12 May 2001
Found it a struggle to get into, I had never read anything of hers before. I just picked up the book of a friends shelf, once I got into it though I thought it was better but I wouldn't highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 May 2000
Darren Fletcher (Peterborough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
I finished it because there are only about 2 books I've ever not finished, but how dull is this book?
The characters have no redeeming features and the plot meanders. A serial killer is on the loose (but we know who it is about half way) yet everything but the murder is centred on.
I bought Southern Cross, the sequel, at the same time. I don't think I'll read it just yet.
Don't waste your time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did Patricia Cornwell write this?, 6 Dec 1999
Harro Hallmann (Haderslev Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) (Paperback)
It is very seldom that I don't finish a book I have begun. I didn't finish Hornet's Nest and kept wondering wether Patricia Cornwell really had written this, because in quality it is miles from the Kay Scarpetta-novels.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil)
Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil) by Patricia Cornwell (Paperback - 12 Feb 1998)
6.36