5.0 out of 5 stars I, Phoolan Devi, 10 Dec 2006
This review is from: I, Phoolan Devi: The Autobiography of India's Bandit Queen (Paperback)
I must admit that I bought this book completely by chance as I just wanted an interesting book regarding an Indian personality so I just did a general search on Amazon I came across this book...I had a vague idea of the Bandit Queen but, wanted to know more about her motives and reasoning as to what caused her to become a bandit, so I bought this book and I can honestly say that after reading this book that it really affected me in profound ways...I have so much love and respect for this woman and her continual fight for justice....She is a symbol of hope to any woman in the world. This book is very highly recommended and would easily put it into my top 5 most incredible books of all time...

5.0 out of 5 stars In Phoolan Devi's own words...., 10 Feb 2004
By A Customer
Phoolan Devi, the bandit queen of India, an accidental title but one she deserved - this story is told by her. Not many people know who Phoolan Devi is, but after reading this book she is definitely a queen in my eyes! Her unfortunate circumstances along with her will to survive forced her into the hands of bandits but they took her in, respected her and made her their queen. The ordeal she went through at such young and tender age shocked me, made me thank god everytime i turned the pages of this book. A story of true courage, can easily bring anyone to tears!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is Phoolan, 8 Jan 2002
This book is one of my all time favorite books. It is a wonderful account of her life, though some may dispute its authenticity. I do not care if this is fact or fiction made up by Phoolan. I do believe it is fact, however (after reading several other books about her). What matters is that this is her story, how she wanted to tell it. There is truth in that.
History is the same way. It cannot be "fact" per se. It is biased, twisted, etc. The truth is in what historians WANTED to convey. This book is Phoolan. If that's what you seek, this is what you want.
Though she was uneducated and poor, Phoolan still had a fire in her that resisted. This book is difficult to read but it is worth it in the end. Her life was not a waste. She was a victim of circumstance and did all that she could do. She was not perfect. She committed murder. She was a wild woman. It's a paradoxical thing to both love and hate this woman. Phoolan will always be remembered by me. She was amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story by Phoolan Devi, 10 Feb 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The shocking, cruel story of a peasant girl turned bandit., 17 Jun 1999
By A Customer
You need strong nerves to read this to the end, though it's hard to stop reading, either. A shocking account of life among India's lower castes and bandits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Delighted with my purchase and the very fast delivery

4.0 out of 5 stars good for what it's worth, 21 Mar 2014
needed this for a project (and quickly) so ordered a used copied. condition was good as new except for the rip in right hand corner of the cover. can't really complain though since it was a used copy and there was nothing else wrong with it.
delivery was standard. would recommend just need to be aware of the risks of ordering second hand books

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 20 Feb 2014
excellent quality second hand book just what I wanted lots of lovely pictures to accompany the story. More people should read this true story

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 17 Jan 2014
An excellent read, poignant and sad. Made me realise how lucky we are in the UK to have all our freedoms.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read book, giving deeping insight into the culture of much of India still, 7 Jan 2014
A. Deas (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This is a very moving and inspirational book. Anyone dealing with India should read it. Indian politicians, doctors, lawyers and police should be obliged to read it. In fact, anyone who can influence India for the better to bring aspects of its culture from the medieval to the modern nuclear armed state it is becoming, can draw on this to stop outrages that continue to this day.

In the first half Phoolan Devi describes things that are such an affront to humanity that one has to pull oneself through it, trusting the recommendation that is is overall a great piece of work. By the end of the book, one is glad to have read the reasons for the events that follow, one sees acts of real compassion that inspire, that caused to reflect on how I would respond if I saw some of things described.

I used the actions of Phoolan Devi's lawyer, to ask my son who wishes to become a lawyer, how he would treat someone who is penniless, dirty, injured - it is those people who need the lawyers, not those in suits or that drive to their appointment. There are various others in the book, who acted with great kindness, courage and determination.

It is just such a pity that psychos who have no feeling for their common man manage to climb up without the police or government doing a thing - these are factors that India must address. Unless India deals with the widespread rape of women and disregard for the rights of others, it will nurture the seeds of revolution and protest.

I, Phoolan Devi: The Autobiography of India's Bandit Queen
I, Phoolan Devi: The Autobiography of India's Bandit Queen by Phoolan Devi (Paperback - 6 Mar 1997)