5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!
Published on 15 Jun. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Cooking for Blokes
In reasonable condition but the pages were yellowed and this was not pointed ot nin the description (supposed to be very good). Good value for money but if I had known of it's true condition I would have preferred to have paid more to get a better copy.
Published on 19 Feb. 2011 by Rolly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, 15 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
Being a second year student I was cast into the world of houseshareing with little idea of what the kitchen was for (apart from tea and toast in the mornings) With the help of this book I have actually managed to eat well, heathily and cheaply for a year now, have have even managed to inpress my scepitical girlfriend! Seriously, buy this book, no matter what your experence level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality read, 26 July 2000
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
Contains both simple and complex dishes, from traditional english roast beef to more exotic indian/chinese cuisine.
Well written with bloke humour, like 'Crack 2 eggs into the pan. Remove egg-shell from pan.' :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 Aug. 2005
David Sneddon (Birmingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
No bloke wanting to learn to cook should be without this masterpiece. My mum bought it for me as a joke but it's an indispensable piece of kitchen equipment for anyone (male or female) wanting to make tasty food without being patronised by recipe writers who assume you know what they're talking about. Now there's no excuse for not being able to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot-on, 28 Feb. 1999
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
This book is a God send, tells you everything you need to know, and its pretty funny, recipes aren't bad either. Check out the Spanish omelette!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that started a lifelong passion for cooking, 29 April 2014
Mr. C. spence - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
I picked this book up around 1997-98 in my late teens. Cooking for me prior to this was 'heating up' from a can or from the freezer and this book changed everything for me.

A great introduction with information on store cupboard essentials and what different kitchen equipment does.

The book is split into categories, starters, eggs, veggy, meat, fish, Italian, asian, Tex-Mex etc with a variety of recipes that range in difficulty from Boiled Eggs, Gravy all the way through to more accomplished dishes such as goulash, bolognese, focaccia.

Cooking instructions are broken into simple to follow directions. eg, 'break the egg into a bowl and pick out any shell'.

On the back of this book I got the cooking bug and still have it. I've bought loads of books since (My wife has currently placed an embargo on me buying any more cookbooks!) and also watch a ridiculous amount of cooking TV. Some of the other cookbooks I've kept but many more have gone to the charity shop. Cooking for Blokes though, the book that started it all, still has pride of place on the kitchen shelf and I continue to use it reguarly.

A few years after purchasing Cooking for Blokes I got 'Flash cooking for Blokes' and this is a perfect extension from the original book. It keeps the easy to follow instructions but lifts the complexity of the dishes to the next level.

To complete the series I bought Foreign Cooking for Blokes a couple of years back. This one I use less and has a good bit of duplication from the other books so I don't hold it in as high regard.

I would recommend that any potential purchaser of this considers getting the omnibus edition that has both Cooking for Blokes and it's Flash sequel http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooking-For-Blokes-Omnibus-Flash/dp/0751532754/ref=pd_cp_b_3 as it will likely be better value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking that saved my bacon, 16 July 2007
M. Cooper "mcpanman" (Melbourne, Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
Being a bloke, cooking was always a nicety on a Sunday if I had time. Then my life was turned upside down when my wife died and I found myself with two kids that needed meals each day. Someone bought me this book for a bit of fun and it was one of the most important tools to help me cope. The information is clear, straight forward and you are not filled with fancy terminology. If you cant cook but want too, then this is the book for you. From a Sunday roast to a slice of toast its all there. Need a "Hormonal Kids for blokes" now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Man Cooking you will want to eat. Brilliant!, 1 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
I bought this for a mate years ago who was totally rubbish in the kitchen. I was that impressed with his first bash at Beef In Beer (its delicious, by the way) that I bought a copy myself. Its never been out of my kitchen since and I'm not even a bloke. You just cannot go wrong! The recipes are simple, easy to follow, and VERY forgiving, so you don't have to be exact with everything to get a really great result. There's a good dose of humour in here, it doesn't take itself too seriously but the food is brilliant every time. Someone mentioned the book doesn't have pictures, which it doesn't - but I can honestly say its never been a drawback. You just start reading the recipes and you'll want to start cooking. My hubby has become a very accomplished cook using "Cooking for Blokes", can't recommend it enough :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Jun. 2009
Liz (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
Bought this for a birthday present and it looks a good cookery book. It would have been good to maybe have some pictures in it, to see what it should turn out like, but this might be more exciting!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bloke cooking is a bit simple for me...., 28 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
I know it's meant to be about making things really simple for blokes to cook but for me Jamie Oliver is just as simple to follow and his recommendations for what to keep in the cupboard are probably a little better.... Great book for a just about to get your own house / flat type of bloke - but for a more capable cook, probably worth avoiding

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 17 May 2015
This review is from: Cooking For Blokes (Paperback)
Great gift for someone leaving home and lacking in culinary skills. Some good general kitchen tips included and many standard recepies with optional variations. I like the way this book clearly presents all the facts and instructions without too many pointless details.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cooking For Blokes
Cooking For Blokes by Marian Walls (Paperback - 1 Aug. 1996)