5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible
I am a major Stephen King fan. I bought this book for 3 in a clearance and lucky I did. I was bestowed upon me my current favourite book, actually more like 4.
Different Seasons, to give the book it's proper title, is a collection of 4 novellas set in a different season of the year. The opener, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption (Hope Springs Eternal) tells...
Published on 16 April 2003 by Mr. GJ Borrows

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent attempt
Published on 14 Jan 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband's favourite film, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
He asked me to get a copy of the book for him and, apparently, the novella didn't disappoint. My hubby gave it full marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a bargin!, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
i bought this book for 1p and it was in excellenct condition i gave it to my sister for christmas last year and it has been read by the whole family who needs a kindle!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
I had been looking for this book for a while and found it for a good price and so was very happy with it

5.0 out of 5 stars majestic storytelling, 5 Sep 1999
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
King once again shows he is indeed one of the masters of storytelling, imagination and insight. The first and second novellas are nothing short of magnificent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow but keeps the readers' interest!, 3 Aug 2003
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
Although most Stephen King books end up under 'Horror' this book is hardly fit to be classed as one. Although its slow to start the pace picks up and the end not as hopeless as it seems and is actually quite surprising! Out of all the books I've read I would have to say that 'Shawshank Redemption' is probably most like 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon' since it is similar in pace and style. But even those of you who have read TGWLTG and found it quite dull like myself, 'Shawshank Redemption' has that special King formula which keeps the reader hooked and anxious to read further. So although it seems slow, stick with it because it does get better!

5.0 out of 5 stars King at his best, 26 July 2000
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
This is a masterpiece from the master himself, King. These stories will make you think about them for days to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 Hours of film from a small book., 5 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
One of the best books I have ever read, To get 3 great films (Shawshank Redemption, my favourite film, Apt Pupil, absolutely engrossing, and Stand by Me, one of the best movies from when I was a kid) is unbelievable, and the short stories these films come from are just as good. Having seen the 3 films first I had an idea how the books where going to go, but it also helped to have the characters who played the parts in the films to help with the visualisation of the book. The final story is good but not expanded far enoughto really make you remember it as one of Kings classics. You can also see why it was the other 3 that were made into films. Apart from that I would recommend this to anyone who just likes good stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful storytelling, 10 July 2001
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
This is an awe-inspiring tale of friendship, of the transcendence of misery and of never giving up hope. If you are coming to this book having already watched the film then even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You, 27 Jan 1998
By A Customer
I loved this story .. so full of hope and justice. You still can't get away from the ugly underbelly of people's baser natures, but perhaps you shouldn't so you can appreciate why Andy made the crawl just a little bit more.
But the most impressive thing was the movie. Practically word for word, Hollywood put Shawshank up on the screen. Page by page Tim Robbins WAS Andy, Morgan Freeman WAS Red and they spoke their words paragraph by paragraph. And even the altered ending was satisfying because they only showed you what you mind tried to see when you closed the book at the end of the story.

To King and the makers of "The Shawshank Redemption" including Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman and all the others I say ...

BEAUTIFUL

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent attempt, 14 Jan 2003
This review is from: The Shawshank Redemption (Paperback)
Although I am not a huge fan of King's style, I found this collection of stories to be an interesting read. My favourite is 'Apt Pupil' which I found to be disturbing in places, but an excellent read. Yet, I was let down by the story of 'The Shawshank Redemption'. The film is one of my all time favourites, and I expected the book to live up to that in some way, and it just did not do that. Perhaps if I had read the book before I saw the greatness of the film, I would not have been so dissappointed with the shortness and lack of depth the story had.
Worthy of only 3 stars at the most, but a decent read.

The Shawshank Redemption
The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King (Paperback - 16 Feb 1995)
Used & New from: 2.47