5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing and wonderful memories, 20 July 2002
Bernie G. Macdonald (Nova Scotia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories (Paperback)
I actually reread the Finlay J MacDonald Omnibus twice as I loved the style he used to recreate the times of his youth. Being from a Scottish village in Cape Breton, Canada, I could identify with the customs and situations Finlay encountered with those seen in our own Gaelic community. I loved it and I hope many others get to enjoy it also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 4 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories (Paperback)
Finlay MacDonald is a wonderful storyteller. His books should be read not only by Scots, but by people the world over. His perceptive hindsight view on his own childhood is rewarding and opens our own eyes to the world around us. The characters in his stories really come to life and their generosity, humanity and honesty could teach more than a few of us a thing or two about how we deal with others. There is a sense of sadness that life as Finlay experienced it as a young boy will probably never be the same again, but a sense of joy at being able to share in his growing up through these wonderful books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a wider audience..., 23 Mar. 2009
P. Kerr - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories (Paperback)
...so that more can be introduced to the very special place that is the Isle of Harris. The fact that the author's ancestors were neighbours of my own, and victims of the same 'Clearances', makes this the closest I can get to appreciating my own roots.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book To Treasure., 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories (Paperback)
Having loved the BBC serialisation of this piece of work, I just had to try the book.
I am happy to report that I was not disappointed. In fact the book is even better that the TV adaptation; it is clearly a literary work of love by the author about a place, a people, a way of life and a time that thanks to him will now not be forgotten.
I am English and knew very little about The Hebridean Islands until now. This book has been a wonderful, entertaining education.

5.0 out of 5 stars touching, poetic, colourful and richly comic - the memoirs of a gifted raconteur, 25 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories (Paperback)
I've had these 3 memoirs on my shelf for 8 years: 'Crowdie and Cream', 'Crotal and White' and 'The Corncrake and the Lysander'. They were amongst several books which I inherited from a friend who died in 2005. And I've only just got round to reading them. I find this sadly can happen with our books, even when we're keen readers; they languish on shelves unread, because life, and many other books, have claimed our attention first. But now I've read Finlay J Macdonald's wonderful trilogy about his early life in Harris, in the Outer Hebrides. And I've discovered that his stories are touching, poetic, racy, colourful and so moving.

What a wonderful writer he was. These books - based as they are on BBC radio talks he did some 30 years ago - represent the compelling narrative of a truly gifted raconteur. Some of his sentences are half a page long, and you have the feeling of a mature, experienced man regaling you with colourful tales from his own distant past in a thick Hebridean accent, and you're captivated. His vivid descriptions of the landscape in south Harris, and his piquant tales of the characters in the community of crofters are beguiling.

For many of us,perhaps, in England, the Outer Hebrides are those little specks off the top lefthand corner of Britain; but now Finlay Macdonald has filled me with a desire to go there in the near future, and experience the Outer Hebrides for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real wit, and a wonderful way with words, 10 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories (Paperback)
The omnibus edition combines Macdonald's three autobiographical works into one volume. I have only read the first, and am part way through the second. He has a wonderful way of narrating stories from his childhood in such a way that they comment on the world at present, and how we got there.
His sense of the absurd is wonderful.
A delight to read - but not so lightweight that it fails to satisfy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hebrides, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories (Paperback)
I used to rent a croft on South Harris when I lived in a flat in Bath - it was the only time of the year that I felt happy. I know most of the places he writes so well about - fabulous book - will re-read it when I am in the mood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 2 Jan. 2013
G. M. Donald "Gaga" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories (Paperback)
A good read for anyone interested in the Highlands and the way of life there. I found it moved a bit slowly for my taste in reading but it was an enjoyable read.

Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories
Crowdie And Cream And Other Stories by Finlay J. Macdonald (Paperback - 28 Mar. 1991)