5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Advice for Small Business Owners
This book has a permanent place in my library, and has held it for the past 10 years. These concise pieces of advice are pearls of wisdom. I refer back to the book whenever I am in a slump, and find something new. I have been recommending it in my seminars for the past 5 years, and every comment I have received has been great.
Published on 6 April 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book
A good book but perhaps not quite living up to the press it has been given. Worth a read if you are interested or studying business,leadership or management.
Published 9 months ago by Noel

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Advice for Small Business Owners, 6 April 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing, useful advice for all walks of life, 1 May 2010
This review is from: Swim With The Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate and Outnegotiate your Competition: Out Sell, Out Manage and Out Negotiate Your Competition (Paperback)
After reading this book you will have a better idea how the world works, how you can get your point across better and how you can ask for things you want. Don't be fooled. This book is not only for salespeople. You can use MacKay's tips for all everyday hassles from booking a room to a 'no vacancies' hotel to ensure a better deal when buying your home. You will also know how not to be taken advantage off when others use these techniques on you to get what they want!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read, 27 Sep 1998
By A Customer
Are you are serious about getting ahead? You have to read this book. Don't listen to the "thubs up" guy if he would have listened to Harvey he would not be in the position he is now "2 years latter". Harvey gives the reader real life examples of how to get ahead in your life. If your looking to get ahead in your job read "Sharkproof" by MacKay. Harvey's writing style is great, you can't put the book down.... I have read all of Harvey's books and have went out and bought more to give to people I have met who want to get more out of their life and their job.... in fact I applied one of Harvey's story's to my own personal life and got a job starting out at 40K per year. I highly, highly recommend ALL of Harvey's books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 13 Jan 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Good logical advice, 5 Sep 2013
Just confirms some of the points I already knew and has some practical advice. Has some valuable advice in order to understand potential customers.

4.0 out of 5 stars The second sales book I ever read, 18 Mar 2013
David Peers (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
Actually, I owe a lot to Harvey Mackay. I'd say his other book - beware the naked man... - is a better sales book but really, they deal with different things. Over 20 years ago I found the naked man, which led to this one.

I like Harvey because he sets out the basics. There is little point in reading up on 'advanced selling techniques' if you can't be bothered to comb your hair before meeting a customer. Harvey tell it how it is but this book is something like 20 years old now so it's becoming just a little dated. Ver good, but a little dated.

It had a huge influence upon my life. It made me think and created me more as on individual in my world. It took me along a very interesting path to the point that I've written my own book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Selling-British-customer-increase-ebook/dp/B00A6R1P2O/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1363603665&sr=8-1 - and if you read the two, you'll see the similarities. My book is much like Harvey's but dare I say "a new and updated version"? Still worthy of a read though.
Thanks Harvey.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sales book for beginners, 30 July 2012
James (MAIDENHEAD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book totally removes the product from the sales process, how much can you change an envelope! The focus is on relationships and understanding your prospect.

This went out of print for a while but glad to see it is back

5.0 out of 5 stars Harvey is the best business writer ever, 28 Jan 2011
M. Long (England) - See all my reviews
I've been reading Harvey's books for 15+ years (he has a website too, google him) and I've read them all, 3 or 4 times. I think I have 8 or 9 books, I have 1 hard back and a paper back (and some kindle) for travel. I love business books and authors, and Harvey is probably the best in my view. Real life examples, from someone with experience, that you can adapt to your life and career, whatever the stage. There have been 5 to 20 things in each book that grab me. Start reading Harvey and you wont regret it. Yes it's written more from an "American" perspective, but that doesn't matter as the ideas and concepts are for anyone. Good luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sales Primer, 29 July 1999
By A Customer
Anyone interested in making sales (Any type of sales) their career, would benefit from reading this book. Much of the text borders on the obvious, however it's strange how often we neglect the obvious. I first read this book (9) years ago. I continue to pick it up to this date as a refresher. Harvey Mackey does an excellent job of making this a "I can't put it down book" Non-avid readers will breese through the pages. Must read!

3.0 out of 5 stars A 'Secret of my Success' book ....plus baseball, 7 Jan 2003
C. M. Perkins (Stirling, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
Harvey Mackay is an all-American success story, and he sounds like a nice enough guy. He must have done something right to have grown the Mackay Envelope Corporation the way he did. This book is a collection of stories and opinions from someone genuinely trying to pass on some tips. As he says at the close of chapter one "it's how the big fish got to be that way and how you can be one, too."
The book is divided into sections: Harvey Mackay's short course on salesmanship; Harvey Mackay's short course on negotiation; Harvey Mackay's short course on management; Quickies; Helping your kids beat the odds; and The Close: how to succeed.
Given the titles of the first three sections, the book isn't as arrogant as it sounds - these sections are full of interesting, humorous stories, mostly about other people Harvey learned things from that have stood him in good stead. Each chapter is very short and it's the sort of book you can dip in and out of, rather than have to read cover to cover. There are some useful bits in it like how to negotiate, how to communicate more sincerely and how to motivate staff.
The section on advice for your kids is a bit cheesy, but Harvey does seem to have a desire to 'put something back', both for his family and his community. The only thing I could do without is all the baseball stories.
For some homespun advice from a business success, give it a try.