on 27 August 2011
Wasn't sure if i'd read this years ago,so bought it,started reading,realised i had and by then i was hooked. I don't know how i forgot this,it's thoroughly entertaining.
The first story is very interesting in the build up,then when the alien comes about,you want to turn the pages faster than you can read them,it's that addictive. For me,the second story is even better,even though nothing the aliens do is really surprising,it's still highly addictive and Newt is adorable,making the book even more of a thrill to read,just to find out what happens next,after all,there's bound to be some things in the book than aren't in the film. Then the third,which i really liked but i agree it's not as good as the other two. There's a lot of build up and only the one adult alien again,but it is still a really good read and it's good that it's so different to the other two. However,that said,i still say ALIENS is the best story of the lot,but it's all well worth reading,heck,it's well worth reading twice (or more).
on 20 September 2001
Alan Dean Foster has done a marvelous job in writing these books, I took them on holiday with me to St Lucia and had finished the first one by the end of the flight there - I could not put it down. Throughout all three books he really captures the atmosphere of the Xenomorph race and conveys the horror and tension marvelously. The films each had there strong points - atmosphere, action, fear - where as the books capitalise on this and give each chapter of the story the full attention they deserve. The pace is also maintained throughout bringing about a real sense of danger and a thick atmosphere of fear and confusion. In short - as I am probably rambling in excitement - this is a truly brilliant trilogy, if you liked the films then you will love this. There are a few inconsistences between the films and book, but that is to be expected, and honestly, the books version of events is the better. Buy this if you are in the least bit interested, I highly recommend it. (as you probably guessed)
on 18 April 2014
Wow, I bought this book/s because it was cheap and I had bought Tim Lebbon's alien book.
I read all three books in a couple of days, why? because although I frightened myself half to death, scared, had to lock all the doors, I could literally not put them down.
The way the books are told is amazing, because we all know how Ripley looked - so instantly you put a face to her. The alien was so scary in the description, and the scenes in the book really set the scene.
I just wish I had read them earlier.
on 6 February 2003
This follows the film faithfully and it is brilliant in detail. This version saves money as you are getting three for one, but the only disppointment was not having the fourth included. I could not put this down, wondering what Ripley would go through next- and finding I would be scared stiff in the same situation.
on 2 April 2011
....I've been a true fan of Alien for decades and I loved this trilogy as well as the movies, though, each one not at the same degree. Going back to "Alien Omnibus", the book series is compelling, the character described vivid and each of them unforgettable. Through the pages it's possible to discover aspects of Ripley we couldn't have known from the movies. Alien, as creature, is scarier in the first book than in the other two and not just because the reader gets used to it, but because the narrative is much tighter and offers less details of the creature so that whenever it comes up is always a chilling surprise. Nevertheless, overall, all three books are fun and worth while reading.
on 5 March 2014
Having watched the films and being a big fan in general I thought it was time I read the books.

I loved the extra bits that you don't see in the films and there are some subtle differences to the story in general in all three books and I thought Alan Dean Foster's use of language to describe things was awesome.

Like the films I'd say that Alien and Aliens are the best and Alien 3 is 3rd overall but this is definately worth a read if you love the films!
on 19 May 2013
I was surprised when this appeared on my amazon website, as I had no idea that more than one book had been written. Item arrived promptly, and was in excellent condition.

As I had recently purchased the set of DVD's I haven't read the books yet, other than the original "Alien", which I have read several times, so am looking forward to a quiet period when I can get stuck in. Thankyou, seller.
on 2 November 2000
These books are amazing. Alan Dean Foster is amazing. Relitively original storyline. I love science-fiction books, and Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and The Dig are top of my list. Foster wrote it in brilliant language, the atmosphere as I read it was scary. Definitely the best trilogy of any books ever. Literally. I just loved it. Brilliant books.
VINE VOICEon 12 January 2005
The collected novelisations of 'Alien', 'Aliens' and 'Alien 3'.
The Alien movies are science fiction classics, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that Foster's novelisations are even better.
The story is written with great attention to detail and each character is described well enough that when they finally snuff it, you're genuinely sorry to see them go (in the films, you're glad half the time).
Also, with the novelisations, we get the versions of the stories before they fell prey to the inevitable editing-for-time-constraints process. This means we get a fair bit more information about the alien lifecycle (such as the fact that the alien in 'Alien' had layed an egg itself - a queen egg), but better than all that we get the scene in 'Aliens' in which the Marines set up several automatic machine guns, which on paper comes across with a wonderful amount of tension as the ammo runs down (I was so disappointed when I saw the film version in the Special Edition).
The only problem I can think of is that in 'Alien 3' Foster features an ox-alien, rather than the much more effective dog-alien seen in the film.
on 21 January 2013
If you've watched the films and found parts rather confusing , this book will finally have this trilogy make sense .
I should of found this book sooner .
If you like the Alien story line ,