5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable if you ever supply a school, church or bazaar
Do you ever need to make a 'production batch' of cakes? Someone says 'we are running a cake stall - can you..?' This book has the basic recipes you need for these occasions, with enough variations that you can come up with two or three or more types of cake (individual or tray bakes) or one or two larger ones any time you need them. I especially like the lemon cake...
Published on 28 Jun 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good selection spoiled by poor choice of binding in this version
This book contains a vast range of cakes but also several confections such as truffles and coconut ice, both non-bake. It is not helped by the absence of any photographs of the finished products, although I concede that at the cover price this would be unlikely.

A good cookery book will allow you to open it at a recipe and leave it open while you proceed...
Published on 14 April 2010 by Andy_atGC

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for simplicity, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
This is a lovely little book. Uses less eggs than her later more recent books, but all the better for that in my opinion.
Recipes very simple to follow, and the ones I have tried have been a great success. Book would benefit from pictures, but not absolutely necessary. I should add that I am a reasonably experienced cook, as I have been married for many years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
This book is fine,it's a little stocking filler for my son.just wish it had pictures of cakes and buns in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with quantities!, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
I am a competent baker, and have followed recipes by Nigella, Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsay and Paul Hollywood (among others) with no problems at all, but I'll admit that I did come unstuck with this book. Why? Mary Berry appears to use baking tins that are substantially smaller than other cooks. As an example, her Victoria sandwich recipe uses two 17cm tins. Standard tins these days are 20-22cm. This might not sound alot, but it really is! I was in a hurry, and so ended up with rather flat cakes, not because they hadn't risen, but because I didn't make enough mixture for my tins.

The end results are lovely (though I prefer to add a few drops of vanilla to many of my cakes, which Mary doesn't do), and there is a very helpful section at the beginning on working out what went wrong if your cake doesn't turn out the way you expect. But do be prepared to have to scale up quantities when following recipes in this book. If you have the time and inclination to do so, great. But if not, then buying this book - cheap as it is - may be false economy and a more up to date baking book (my guess is that this is a Mary Berry original, and not one of her more recent ones, which friends tell me use much larger ingredient quantities) would be better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cookery book, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
Bit disappointed - No pictures. I originally bought this for my niece but I think it may be too adult for her, she is just 12 yrs.

4.0 out of 5 stars good instructions on quick baking but lacking photos in paperback copy, 27 Nov 2012
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
Bought this for my sister who likes baking but does need clear instructions on how to do things.
It seems to work for her, and happy with the few she's made so far..
The only thing lacking in this paperback copy is pictures of the end product so reason it got 4 stars.
Has a full array of Tray Bakes, Small Cakes, Large Cakes, non-Bake Cakes, Kids cakes, Teacakes and scones, Biscuits.

4.0 out of 5 stars good basic guide, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
I bought this book because it uses soft margarine in the recipes and I wanted a guide to tray bakes for money raising for our local community. It fills the bill nicely and so far the recipes I have tried are all relatively simple.
A good basic book for all wanting to start baking cakes and biscuits etc. Also has child friendly recipes in too for use with little bakers!
Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cakey classic, 24 May 2010
A. Goodall "Anna" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
I was given this book for Christmas in 1986 when I was 12. It was an excellent introduction to baking and even now I use it more than any other recipe book.
Most of the recipes are quite plain compared to a lot of the very rich cakes you see in newer recipe books (e.g. Nigella's!) but they are trustworthy and delicious. The carrot cake, scone and chocolate caramel shortbread recipes are especially good. The chocolate brownies... not so much.
I highly recommend this book, especially for people new to baking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cake book I know, 1 May 2010
readerine (North Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
I inherited a dog-eared copy of this book from my mum, and it has been very well used through the years. I've made well over half the recipes and they all turn out really well, and get lots of compliments. The Can't-Go-Wrong Chocolate cake is always in demand for birthdays and parties etc, the Victoria sponge takes 5 minutes to make and works like a dream, the Vicoriana Christmas cake is good enough to give as a gift (way better than shop-bought). Every cake recipe you could possibly need is in here, which is why I've bought this edition as a spare in case the old one finally gives out from too much use!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really like this little book, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
I really like this little book.. I bake a lot, and I have found this book has a mixture of very easy to follow recipies that look good. A finished photo of what the finished product should look like would be the icing on the cake!! I have recommended it to friends and even bought two as gifts for family, as they kept borrowing mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best cake books there is, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Fast Cakes (Paperback)
Very good easy to follow recipes. Have used it for years and wanted to give it to a friend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Fast Cakes
Fast Cakes by Mary Berry (Paperback - 1 Jan 1983)
7.91