5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read
Published on 22 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Spelling & Puctuation
The story is great but the mis-spelling and frequent poor punctuation that were NOT evident in the original printed version makes the Kindle version aggravating!
Published on 15 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 22 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1 (Paperback)
As a big fan of historic fiction, I found this to be one of the best in the genre. It is the first of a 20-book series on the Morland dynasty, beginning in the 15th century and ending in our time. Well researched and well written, this books simply does not allow you to stop until you reach the last page - and then rush to find the next in the series. The characters are alive and real and their story is a great way to learn about life in that time - both in the Yorkshire ocuntryside and in the English court. I am reading book 4 now and desperate to find book 5, no plans to stop until I reach the last one! The only problem with the series is that sometimes the time gap between books is big enough to make it a bit confusing, although the family tree pictured in each volume helps to find your way around.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series is the yardstick by which all historical novels are measured, 4 July 2009
I have spent so many hours reading the Morland Dynasty series and every one of them have been great. You get to know the family as well as how the historical events of the time affected the people.
And for the first time in my life, and I am 61 years old, and have been and avid reader for 50 of those years, I have reread some of the books. And I enjoyed them just as much the second time. I love the style of writing and look forward every fall for the next book.
Unfortunately I understand that there will be only one more book in this series which is a shame as it was to go to the present time.
You can't read 31 books without feeling that you know this family and their decendents.
There is actually a group on amazon in the us who discusses various issues and personalities of the characters.
Someone did a very poor job of advertising and promoting this series. I found it quite by accident as many others have.
A few of us have written to the author begging for just one more book and she would be happy to write it but the publisher isn't interested, which by the way the publisher denies.
Buy the first book, I guarantee you will be ordering the rest of the series and will be just as passionate about them as those of us who have read them are..Happy Reading

5.0 out of 5 stars The Founding of a riveting Dynasty, 28 Jan 2007
Mrs. L. Browning "Linz" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1 (Paperback)
I first bought this book many years ago and found it fascinating in its attention to detail. It has been followed by more than 20 books now - I am currently reading book 27 - and if you buy this book I guarantee you will want to read the rest too! I agree that the gap between books was confusing but after about the first 5 books, Ms Harrod-Eagles began to start her books where the last one left off, making it easier to follow the series.

The Founding is a masterpece of research into life in Middle-Age England, and shows how Civil War can split loyalties and families. It is also a great start to a wonderful Dynasty - every time I buy a new book in this series, I read the whole lot again from the start and I never get bored re-reading them. Thanks, Cynthia, its a great series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 13 Dec 2008
Sam (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
This book is brilliant, a definate page turner. This and all of the books that follow are fantastic reads. They combine real historical events with fascinating fictional characters. Deffinately worth buying, its a book that can be re-read over and again. Each book in the series follows dramatic events in the history of England and Europe. You will want to read the whole series following this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Morland Dynasty, 23 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1 (Paperback)
I read the first book in the series about fourteen years ago and I absolutely love the Morland Dynasty books and look forward expectantly to the next book in the series. Every time I finish the latest book I can barely wait for the publication of the next book. Recently finished Book 31 Foreign Field and will try and fill my time productively until November 09 when the next book in the series is due for publication.

I relate the series to sitting down with an old friend that you haven't seen for ages and having a good gossip. My long suffering husband has to regularly listen to excerpts being read to him and bears it all with no ill-will and occassionally real interest.

I have saved every book of the series and will probably re-read them all again soon. The books need to carry an 'addictivity warning' - be prepared!

4.0 out of 5 stars Setting the Tone, 16 Jan 2010
As of this review, there are now 32 books in the Morland Dynasty series, and this was the very first one. In 1434, Eleanor Courteney is pledged to Edward Morland in a marriage she resists in her heart and mind. Being a woman of her time, however, she does her feminine duty and serves her lord and country. Eleanor is the beginning of a long, long story, and she populates it heavily, first by giving birth to numerous children, and then by running their lives and the Morland Estates with an iron fist.

The family tree comes in extraordinarly handy by the end of the book, given how many Richards, Edwards, Edmunds and Cecilys there are. At times, some of the characters seem interchangeable in mannerism and in what happens to them. By the time I was nearing the end of this first novel, I was feeling a bit tired of the machinations of the indomitable Eleanor. She's not a particularly sympathetic character, and even when her management leads directly to heartbreaking tragedies, she learns nothing from events and plows forward just as she always did.

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles is an excellent writer. I got a wonderful feel for the home in which the Morlands lived, the difficulties they faced and the landscape surrounding them. Now that she's introduced me to this sprawling family, I look forward to seeing how they continue to interact with history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Listening to friends (and their sisters), 3 July 2009
This review is from: The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1 (Paperback)
My friend told me she and her sister had attended a talk by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, I had not heard of the author. My friend explained that Harrod-Eagles was a prolific author producing a book a year over some 20 years and that the books started in the 1400s and each book covered a different period in history. My friend had only recently started reading the books, while her sister was a long time fan.
Given this recommendation I got hold of the first book in the series "The Foundling" the book is largely set in Yorkshire and starts with the marriage of Eleanor and Robert Morland and follows through three generations of the family, the story also has a backdrop of the War of the Roses.
I really enjoyed the book it gave a good insight to life in the 1400s and explained more about the politics of the time than I was previously aware of. I've put the next 2 books in the series in my Amazon shopping basket.

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent beginning to an exciting series!, 2 April 2010
This review is from: The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1 (Paperback)
Eleanor Courteney is none too pleased when she hears that she is to be married to a local sheep farmer's son. Given that Eleanor is an orphan with no dowry to speak of this match is actually better than a girl in her situation could've hoped for, but the young and feisty future matriarch of the Morland dynasty doesn't see it that way. She is still secretly pining away for Edward, Duke of York with whom she fancies herself in love.

Robert Morland and Eleanor are as different as night and day. Meek and somewhat spineless, at least where his father is concerned, Robert can only stare in awe at his future wife so full of confidence and spunk. While Robert is immediately smitten with Eleanor, she is not impressed with this seeming wimp of a husband and horrified at her new surroundings of the Morland home. Ever pragmatic, Eleanor soon resigns herself to her new life and sets out to make this new home her own, despite the obstacles set in her way by her father in law, Edward, who has less manners than the sheep he raises.

Through the years and as they work together to build their dynasty, expand their family business and produce an abundance of children, Robert and Eleanor's relationship deepens into one of mutual love and respect.

As for the historical setting, The Founding takes place during the time of the War of the Roses and the reign of Richard III into the usurpation of the crown by Henry Tudor. Eleanor's previous connection with royalty and her status as a wealthy cloth merchant provides us with a glimpse into the politics of the day, via the key people themselves. Richard Platagenet, Duke of York and his wife Cecily, as well as, Richard III and Queen Anne make appearances and even life as a Yorkist soldier is experienced as we watch the Morland sons and grandsons fight for the cause.

Now, I know other reviewers have stated that they disliked Eleanor immensely and while I can most definitely see their reasons, I found myself liking her a lot. I don't know if it's maybe because she is so different from myself?! I have a tendency to be ruled by emotions and I've always admired people that are more in control of theirs. Yes, she does come off as a snob in the beginning of the novel, but she was raised by a noble family all her life and knows nothing else, so of course she's going to be rankled by the thought of marrying someone that's not in their circle.

Overall, The Founding is an entertaining and engrossing read that contains two intriguing elements...family drama and history. My only issue was the sheer volume of kids and grandkids and great-grandkids can get confusing and overwhelming at times, but you eventually figure it out for me it didn't take anything away from the story. I highly recommend The Founding and can't wait to begin the 2nd book in the Morland Dynasty series, The Dark Rose.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Founding, 2 April 2013
This review is from: The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1 (Paperback)
Review taken from my Blog Post #102 in March 2011 - book borrowed from the library.

I have to admit to not being that keen to start this book, but was given a gee-up because it had to be back at the Library and couldn't be renewed again as somebody else had reserved it.

It's not a period in history that I like, finding it much to brutal with huge depravation .... I like luxury in the main!

I don't know why I worried so though, as the author did a very splendid job all round ... and I fell into it from the first page. The story of Eleanor the founding Mother of the Morland Dynasty and her love for Richard, Duke of York, but with an arranged marriage to Robert Morland and the many children and grandchildren she produced.

A worthy 4 star read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, only word for it!, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1 (Paperback)
I read this book over two years ago, my mother had read them when she was a teenager and had given me the first book one night, i was 16 when i read the book and was hooked almost instantly, i fell in love with the characters even though they move quickly through their years and upon reaching the end of the book i cried for the loss of characters, for the end of the story and book itself. i love every minute of reading it and almost wished i had been apart of the family. i did however have tp look back at the family tree in the first pages a few times as some of the characters alluded my thoughts for a while and when they re entered the story i was forced to go back and find out who exactly they were, but seconds later i was back on track. i loved the historical parts of the novel as well as the fictional side! i would recommend this to anyone who is an avid reader and likes books with detailed descriptions of things! a must read, i cannot wait to finish the series myself! <3

The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1
The Founding: The Morland Dynasty, Book 1 by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles (Paperback - 31 Dec 1981)