5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring!!
Published on 6 Jun 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars A little too much wind.
I first read about Josie Dew and her cycling escapades in a cycling magazine for which she wrote a regular article. Being a keen cycle tourer,I eagerly awaited
her fearless stories about life on a bike.
This book, while being a collection of different adventures in nine different
countries manages to hang together..just..but without any sense of...
Published 16 months ago by Eva Wierzuchowska

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring!!, 6 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Wind In My Wheels: Travel Tales from the Saddle (Paperback)
I am a London Cyclist and have followed Josie's travels around the world, as well as reading her articles in the London Cyclist. She is a fantastic writer and a spunky woman. This book is funny, insightful and ends with an incident that would put the rest of us off travelling for life... but not Josie. She has inspired me to keep going after being hit by a car, and I hope she has affected many more people the way she has affected me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 May 2004
By A Customer
This is a brilliant book. Her observations are so honest and often very very funny. She is inspiring right up to the last page and makes you want to go and buy a decent bike and take off. Fantastic!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 8 Jan 2014
I would rate any book by Josie Dew as 5 * as I just love reading her books.She must write more.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little too much wind., 30 Mar 2013
her fearless stories about life on a bike.
This book, while being a collection of different adventures in nine different
countries manages to hang together..just..but without any sense of natural
continuity. I find it increasingly difficult however to view some of her more
hair-raising stories as anthing but credible. Indeed, she takes an almost
macabre delight in nosing in on most people's idea of extreme danger, to the
point of exageration.
I can understand she needs to find 'material' to write about but the sort of
accommodation she regularly chooses to stay, namely rat infested fleapits with
communal hole in the ground for a toilet, is beyond belief. She treats the
whole issue of disease and dysentry in India as something which affects other
people as if she were immune.
She tends to be rather flippant about travelling solo in places well known for
hostility and sexual harrassment, choosing to gleefully ignore any well-meaning
warnings from experienced male travellers or locals in the know.
Generally speaking, the book will appeal to some, depending on what is expected
from such a book. But other female travel writers such as Bettina Selby or
Dervla Murphy write with far more sensitivity and educated knowledge about the
world around them and not just regurgitating a guidebook. They at least don't
have the irritatingly repetitive fetish of describing in gory detail their
alfresco toilet habits..

5.0 out of 5 stars Taken Away, 23 Mar 2001
By A Customer
Fab, brilliant easily readable anywhere, mine was in india really apt for some of the encounters she had. Brilliantly viewed and written. As a cyclist also found this most refreshing that my own cycling nightmares also happened to others! Everyone should read this.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wind In My Wheels, 9 Jan 2013
As with other Josie Dew books this one is written with plenty of humour and human observation.
The worrying part is the number of occasions that she puts herself in mortal danger, riding into situations that most sensible folks would steer clear of. Maybe lone cycling does things to the mind that make you drop your guard once in a while in the name of ADVENTURE. The author makes cycling sound fun and much more earth friendly than driving a smelly fuel powered steel box. Enjoy the book, I couldn't put it down, and then get the bike out and ride, for your health and the health of your children.
Now that Josie has two young gilrs (see her website) she will calm down; I do hope so as the strain of reading her predicaments is getting to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was for my friend, 1 Jan 2013
He had met the author once in Hawaii. He said it was okay, but not as good as other books about travelers on bikes he'd read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 25 Aug 2012
I have just bought this book again after reading it years ago when I was looking for a travel book .I wasn't really interested in cycling but after reading this I bought my first bike and then went on to buy a touring bike to do some cycle touring myself .
It really inspired me to get out and about instead of just reading about it .I would highly recommend it .

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 20 July 2011
found this travel book very interesting and quite funny
Josie is an exellent writer ,pick it up you cant put it down .

3.0 out of 5 stars This girl just wants to have fun!, 23 Jun 2011
I read this book for a third time recently and found myself enjoying it all over again. The author seems to cycle and write with a great joy for life and takes nothing and no one she meets too seriously. Not even the attempted rape in Romania with which this book ends seems to phase her too much. At least it does not dampen her enthusiasm for cycling.

This is the first of 7 books Dew has written, each telling the tale of a road trip on her bike. This volume tells of 9 trips - each a bit more demanding than the one before. So the book charts Dews growing love affair with cycling and is brim full with her enthusiasm for travel and adventure. Traveling sometimes on her own and sometimes with a friend, she seems to see cycling as an adventure rather than an ordeal and this I find refreshing. While others play up the physical and emotional challenges of cycle touring, Dew seems determined to have fun and enjoy her trips. I don't see anything wrong with that: far from it.

Don't expect anything too heavy in the text therefore and be prepared for some fairly lame jokes and a light hearted tone throughout. This is more fizz and froth than frown and fight, but the writing is clear and gets the job done, describing in fair details the wheres, whens and hows of the trips completed.

I suppose there is a danger in taking such a light hearted approach in that the achievement of the cycling may be hidden a bit. In truth however, the author's love of cycling has been demonstrated and sustained over many years and trips and her experience should not be under estimated. She may not be aiming for heavy weight literature, but she is no light weight cyclist and has lots of rich experiences to share.

Some might question how sensible she is to travel by bike alone in some of the places she goes: the near disaster in Romania where she is trapped and attacked supports such views. However, the more important message is that she is a brave and accomplished traveller who is determined to make the most of her cycling and squeeze every ounce of enjoyment out of her trips. Her determination to be positive and her resourcefulness shines through these trips and so they have much to teach the cycle tourist - novice and expert alike.

A funny book by a woman who just seems to get on with it - her trips and her writing and who seems to be hell bent on enjoying her cycling as long as she can keep the wheels turning. More power to her ankles.

The Wind In My Wheels: Travel Tales from the Saddle
The Wind In My Wheels: Travel Tales from the Saddle by Josie Dew (Paperback - 10 Jun 1993)
8.98