Format: PaperbackChange

This is actually, believe it or not, but a really well written Hutson novel. He's taken on a completly different style than his usual 'chuck in a load of blood & gore' method. The plot's actually a really good one and Hutson actually managed to produce some suspense and characterisation! Obviously, we're still not on award winning standards yet, but I'd say that this novel is definetly worth a read by all fans of horror, even if you haven't liked any of Hutson's other work. The plot goes something like this:
A sickening series of murders in London have left 5 homeless kids mutilated, and the capital is in shock. Nick Ryan, private detective, has seen the reports, but it's not his problem. No one's paying him to find the killers. He doesn't care. In fact, since his wife and daughter left him, he hasn't cared about a lot, least of all himself. Suddenly there's another victim. She's not homeless and so far she's not dead. But when Ryan sees the videotape of his own daughter and her masked, male captors, he begins a desperate, obsessive hunt for her and he will not stop.
There is one rather explosive, graphic scene in the book which is definetly not suitable for youngsters, but all in all, this novel isn't the gorefest splatter horror novel we've come to expect from our Mr. Hutson. And I must say that it is a refreshing change. Enjoy!
on 7 June 2013
For Nick Ryan, private detective, life is all work and no play; his family has left him, and he's been given six months to live. When his daughter is kidnapped by a gang responsible for a series of murders in the inner city area of London, he begins an obsessive hunt for her and will stop at nothing to find her. Time is running out for both of them...
This is the quintessential Shaun Hutson book. No punches are pulled whatsoever in the descriptions of atrocious acts of violence and rape committed by both the good and bad characters. Subject matter involving snuff and child abuse has never been handled so compulsively well in paperback novel form! You'll tear through this book in less than a week, guaranteed. The short chapters are usually topped off with well-placed cliffhangers. the temptation to read just one more chapter becomes irresistible.
Only those with strong stomachs and constitutions need apply here, though!
on 11 August 2015
After enjoying other similar Hutson novels like Assasins or Captives, I thought it wouldn't hurt to read Deadhead and got myself a paperback copy. Quite frankly, I got what I expected and then some! Hutson managed to avoid the implausibility of his other dark and gritty gangland books and offered a solid thriller that leaves you wishing it were longer. As other reviewers pointed out, the violence and gore is spot on, unlike Hutson's other "they don't call me the godfather of gore for nothing" efforts.The final shootout(which you want so badly as pages are turned)is pure Peckingpah/Walter Hill and really delivers.
Too bad not many people appreciate this kind of writing but for those we do it's a pleasure to read from start to finish.
on 20 February 2010
I read this book again last week - excellent - by far his best one. Some of his others are very hit and miss, especially recently.
Hopefully he will return to this superior standard very soon.
on 25 May 2008
I own all of Shaun Hutson's novels. This is the first one I read about 15 years ago. I also think it is his best. Some of his recent novels have more of a supernatural or less believable plot, but he did go through a spell when many of his books were set in London or were more realistic gritty gangland thrillers. This book involves a private investigator who's daughter is kidnapped by a gang who make snuff movies. This character, Nick Ryan is one of the best Hutson has ever written and as usual this book is a fantastic page turner. Hutson's secret is short snappy chapters and a pace that makes his books difficult to put down. The final shootout at the end of the book is incredibly graphic and if your a main character in one his novels, you'd better watch out. I would highly recommend buying this book and would put Victims, Assassins, Captives and White Ghost as the best of his other novels. I don't think he is quite on the form he used to be with his recent books, but they are still damn fine reads and he is my favourite author.
on 3 October 2009
An excellent story from Shaun Hutson - who manages to gather all the best things about his writing and imagination together for once. Easily his best book - a terrific read!
on 26 November 2000
A book that basically made my boring 10 hour flight to the USA enjoyable... that says alot about the book. A warning though parts of it are not for the faint hearted as it is very action packed and quite explicit... Brilliant!!!
0Comment5 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2011
From the other reveiws I genuinely thought that I was in for a cracking read. Extremely disappointed. One reviewer mentions 'an explosive scene thats not suitable for younger readers', could I please re-iterate that its not only depraved but was quite
unnecessary and left me feeling a little sick afterwards. Overall skimmed through the book in a few hours and would not recommend it nor would I buy other titles from this author.
0Comment0 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse